hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [devpost] Wormhole twerking

Donor
    The more I read about the whines from this, the more I think the bones of the idea is sound.

People seem to be moaning that it won't be possible for the same group of ships to rage-roll, and how you'll need your whole fleet on standby to defend your cap, etc. I think they're unwittingly proving CCP's exact argument for making this change.

Right now you can collapse a new C5+ hole with 2 Orcas and a capital, every single time with nominal risk (since chances are you spawned it anyway). It's also trivial to crit a hole using similar methods. Neither of these require any support and can be accomplished by one guy with alts. In fact, having people sat around is a waste of time because they can't contribute anything productively anyway.

I know it's not going to be a popular opinion amongst some of my corp mates, but being able to bear without a care in the world simply by closing or critting statics using only 1 account never really felt apropos for W-space.

Let's not kid ourselves here. A ton of players from all walks of life in EVE do everything possible to be 100% safe - despite the game marketed as a violent combat oriented internet spaceship thing. That is why it is important to make sure ultra powerful tools and methods in the game to keep things all warm and fuzzy and feeling like Hello Kitty Online needs to be dialed down a few notches.

There is Nothing quite like pretending to be in danger while being completely safe.

It is the very best thing in the world.

Too bad reality catches up and the pretending will have to be dropped unless it persists in ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin_getter View Post
    There is Nothing quite like pretending to be in danger while being completely safe.
    And as what others have pointed out; exactly what the large groups in unknown space do when it comes to rage rolling. They search for soft targets and anything that looks dangerous - immediately roll the hole again. In a way it mirrors how gate camps work. Put out scout in each adjoining system cloaked up to see what is coming. Have everyone else be ready to bail the first time something comes nearby that might actually get a round of antimatter off at them.

They are not looking for a fight. They are looking for a gank.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post
    They are not looking for a fight. They are looking for a gank.
    Tell us more how EvE should be played and about e-honour and spaceship samurai peoples.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Donor
    Don't be stupid, he's not saying that at all. He's pointing out that the current mechanics allow you to pick and choose your fights, or avoid them completely if you find bigger fish than yourselves, with nominal risk and effort.

Rather perversely it's actually harder and more hostile in lower class wormholes with highsec entrances, particularly C3s with 3b holes where the biggest thing you can get through is an Orca.

As Shin_getter said - it's the illusion of danger presented disingenuously by those wanting to preserve the current status quo either to bear in peace or rage-roll into someone weaker rather than actual "if I jump this wormhole I'm risking something" danger.

Nobody is going balls deep unless they have to (majority of EvE players) or they like to (a small minority). Usually, if everything is going well, it's most likely a trap.

Now what he's pointing out is (gasp) the obvious that you are able to pick and choose your fights, something you can do in k-space everyday all day. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do that in w-space. Because it's dangerous? Why not introduce a random ship explosion everytime your fleet jumps through? Spatial anomalies and what not.

Yes, the risk is really small, then again spawning a cap ship 40 fucking k off the hole is pants on head retarded, considering the warp speed changes and all.

I don't live in a WH, I did, wanted to go back recently but decided against it because I don't really enjoy it. Still, I can see how this hinders the big dudes a lot less than the little dudes, so vOv mainly in-line with the rest of recent changes.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LordsServant View Post

I'm not understanding
    Yeah, no surprises there.
    Smallest surprise in the history of all Eve General related not big surprises

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Nobody is going balls deep unless they have to (majority of EvE players) or they like to (a small minority). Usually, if everything is going well, it's most likely a trap.

Now what he's pointing out is (gasp) the obvious that you are able to pick and choose your fights, something you can do in k-space everyday all day. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do that in w-space. Because it's dangerous? Why not introduce a random ship explosion everytime your fleet jumps through? Spatial anomalies and what not.

Yes, the risk is really small, then again spawning a cap ship 40 fucking k off the hole is pants on head retarded, considering the warp speed changes and all.

I don't live in a WH, I did, wanted to go back recently but decided against it because I don't really enjoy it. Still, I can see how this hinders the big dudes a lot less than the little dudes, so vOv mainly in-line with the rest of recent changes.
    1) They've already said that the whole 40km thing is exaggerated for SiSi.
    2) Picking and choosing fights in k-space is counterable in a number of ways that are not applicable in wormholes, e.g. aggression mechanics, cyno escalations, etc.

The problem with "picking and choosing" in wormholes is that quite often it means the other party who actually wants a fight can do nothing whatsoever to counter it, save giving up and rolling another hole. Mostly the times this doesn't happen it's either a one sided gank, or you're seeding caps into someones home and they have to fight or lose their space.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Will this make the price of T3 ships go up? If so, good.

That was my first thought, stealth nerf to T3 prices.

Except for the fact that it's actually not dangerous currently. Oh a hole opened? I'll log in my alt in an Orca and quick collapse it so I can continue jewing. Lucky it's no risk to me at all since I can never not just jump back through
    Quote Originally Posted by LordsServant
    I know all about botting because I know all about almost everything in eve.

Well this will def. increase the risk factor in wh space..
    Not sure I like it or not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post
    Why is reading a bunch of self entitled, risk averse carebears crying an ocean of delicious tears so amazing?
    I mean nullbears manage to deal with gates that they can't close at all, why can't the elite W-space community?
    Null has local and advance notice of people coming to get you via intel channels because the route in is known and unchanging though, whereas w-space often the first you'll know of anyone coming to get you is seeing something on d-scan. Let's not conflate the two completely different paradigms of nullsec and w-space plz.
    thatsthejoke.png

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Wont people just roll holes with nano machs?

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Wont people just roll holes with nano machs?
    Probably but that'll take longer and is easier to notice

Quote Originally Posted by Orar Ironfist View Post

Except for the fact that it's actually not dangerous currently. Oh a hole opened? I'll log in my alt in an Orca and quick collapse it so I can continue jewing. Lucky it's no risk to me at all since I can never not just jump back through
    Why wouldn't it work this way tbh? Jump through a Gate and you're dropped out of jump range too, why should WH jumping be any different?

Frankly, I'd make the "mass based" distance thing work in regular space too.
    "Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"

Good change - now is a perfect time to buff C1-3 income levels, less random salvage reliance.

edit - and oh yea 40k is hella too far. 15-20km would be the best imo. Talk about hole control adv for defending fleets btw. Enemy fleet jumping into the hole spread over 80k, while the defending crew is formed up and ready.
    Last edited by Credacom; August 4 2014 at 07:52:53 PM.

Why not just make them like gates? Spawn 12.5km in every direction around it, no matter the ship. Reduce activation radius down to 2.5km. Iterate every six weeks from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cue1* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue1* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davion Falcon View Post
    What if the effect was reversed? Ie, carriers and dreads continue to spawn <5km. Smaller/lighter shit gets flung farther out?
    A massively better idea TBH.
    Makes scouts/cloakies uncatchable though, and they're already difficult to catch as is.

Being objective about it it's pretty weird how one guy + alts can roll holes at ease with impunity at the moment, whether that be Orcas or capitals. It's actually even easier the higher class of wormhole you go, which seems antithetical.

Shaking up the meta and/or requiring people rolling holes to have defensive fleets ready isn't a terrible motivation for this change though.
    The issue is that it won't shake up the meta. Most fights will still be armor brawl, since the subcaps will still appear close, meaning catching and holding down a support fleet that jumps into you will still be trivially easy. We will likely see more Guardians and less Archons(which I personally think is a bad thing) but otherwise no changes. If the objective is to change the meta, then subcaps should appear at more range. If the objective is to make hole rolling harder, then I think CCP should consider another direction for it, as all this does is punish the little guy, and benefit the big guys.

A better direction for reducing hole rolling would be to give caps a polarity timer for a single direction jump.
    I'm not sure that this is the best way to go either, but I'm not sure that I like the current meta either. 1-2 living in a C5/C6 where they can make quiet a bit of isk, while being able to wasily roll holes, seems somewhat off in a multiplayer game.
    WoT: Birkovic

Nerf rock. Paper is working as intended.
    - Scissor