hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Re-examining mechanics: Does Sov structures always need RF timers?

Re-examining mechanics: Does Sov structures always need RF timers?

*disclaimer: Low structure shoot experience*

RF timers is what made sov warfare such a massively blobby thing that boggles the mind. Power projection changes won't even help that much because there is so much warning to move people into position.

Do we really need them?

What if: for sov structures:
    1. Defender gets to set a timer, where for 4 hours every day sov is vulnerable without triggering RF timer? (perhaps drop it back to neutral)
    2. Attacking at times outside the 4 hour period generates normal RF timers
    3. Strongly Nerfing Power projection via whatever method

Why?
    1. It is no longer possible to defend massive areas of space with one, mostly afk big fleet: you need multiple fleets that is available most of the time
    2. multiple fleets means lower tidi and fights available to small independent groups
    3. Less time grinding EHP, more time shooting people
    4. Full Tz coverage is still not needed

Why not: you tell me

I like the idea of adding a window in your own prime that has no timer. Needs a cool down to stop people constantly resetting it +12 hours so it's never hit.

I guess the problem is one of mobilising stuff. You can 1-cycle poses with a decent dreadfleet - is ~5 minutes going to be enough time to form a response fleet, to will it devolve to simply sitting ready to defend poses for 4 hours ever night, which would be worse than timers.

Quote Originally Posted by ry ry View Post
    I like the idea of adding a window in your own prime that has no timer. Needs a cool down to stop people constantly resetting it +12 hours so it's never hit.

I guess the problem is one of mobilising stuff. You can 1-cycle poses with a decent dreadfleet - is ~5 minutes going to be enough time to form a response fleet, to will it devolve to simply sitting ready to defend poses for 4 hours ever night, which would be worse than timers.
    POSes arn't sov structures.... I don't know why you're discussing them.

Yes. See FW.

I have a very strong feeling null sec is going to be a upgraded version of FacWar. It's going to have small structures that can be killed by small fleets that have a small effect, and large structures that a large fleet can kill for a larger effect.