hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What certs would one get

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Pellegrino View Post
    You don't need a degree, you need skills that are valuable and you need to be constantly learning. Wanna make money? Stay the fuck away from help desk, tech support, network support. Go the sysadmin route and at least in north america there's a lot of competent windows sysadmins and they're far from being paid 100k+ like devs. Now competent Linux dev ops/sysadmins, on the other hand, make as much as devs. A friend of mine, 24, dropped out of uni and REFUSED to work in the US until booking.com started throwing so much money at him that he went to work in Seattle for a year. He made close to 200k USD. He's really good though, his programming skills are on par with many devs and he knows dozens and dozens of tools, languages, frameworks, etc. because he's always learning.

Now he's back in Montreal and on the first week he was here, he got over 10 offers (he's a contractor, he picks 6 to 12 month long gigs and his first question is always about the pay) and yeah.. there's a lot of money in that field. Just stay the fuck away from anything Windows and/or support. Your sanity and wallet will thank you.
    How far are you.
    Seven
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I'm looking into getting my CCNA, I would prefer to do it locally but that doesn't seem to be an option. So i'm after a good online resource to train myself up until I can be bothered travelling for the exam.

ok goys well I'm living in Vancouver now and have secured a level 2 help desk job for a small managed services company. Missed out on a junior sys admin role for a big pharma/biotech firm but not by much, thinking my first step will be server 2016 MCSA followed by something network related like maybe CCNP or Network+
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; January 11 2017 at 08:19:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    ok goys well I'm living in Vancouver now and have secured a level 2 help desk job for a small managed services company. Missed out on a junior sys admin role for a big pharma/biotech firm but not by much, thinking my first step will be server 2016 MSCA followed by something network related like maybe CCNP or Network+
    Everyone wants to be the network guy...

Literally my only certificate is a CCNA and I'm a fine windows admin..

TBH it helps. Microsoft has some fucked up ideas on how networks are supposed to work sometimes so its generally a good idea to get info from other places as well. Just like its a good idea to get your vmware cert (or training anyway) even if you never use it, because knowing how a different company does things helps you understand how what you are trying to do should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Boom, I know it's not much but my new job might be putting me in for 70-734 to assist with some partnership competencies

Currently getting a sysadmin certification trough a local academy, the curse is all based on MCSE (400+ hours of actual class) and they touch a bit of Cisco/Linux. I must admit i am a bit worried about job offers, nowdays here in Israel they ask from a helpdesk knowledge equivalent to a sysadmin in other countries (but hey i believe you need to start somewhere). I just have to finish my final project and then i decide when to do the MCSE exams.

Even tho mcse its all about microsoft products having a person with 20+ years in the industry is really helpfull, he would explain shit and then tell you nobody uses this but its important you know the concept.

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    i hereby certify that 56k lagman is a weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

wankers, setting up a home lab with server 2016, win10 enterprise and potentially a pfsense fw to close it all off. Made a bet with a former colleague as to who could get their mcsa on server 2016 first so need to actually pull my thumb out of my arse

Are MCSA crash courses worth it? I might be able to convince my employer to help me towards the cost but in some cases they are 8-10x the cost of the exam itself

Lagman come back to Ireland and do your Junior cert!

Quote Originally Posted by balistic void View Post
    Lagman come back to Ireland and do your Junior cert!
    sit on it mate I did my Junior AND MY LEAVING. Tenner bets you did the fucking intercert grandpa

Every time i see this title i think:
    Just get a * cert for your domain. it solves most problems in the long run.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Every time _I_ see the title of this thread I think do an OSS project on github or something relating to the cert you wanted.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Oh god don't do this, just use a decent CA service that can automate per-host certificate provisioning. Wildcard certs are one of the most problematic parts of TLS. You're throwing away a yuuuge part of the security TLS is supposed to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    You're throwing away a yuuuge part of the security TLS is supposed to provide.
    Would you mind to elaborate this? I'm genuinely interested. I'm the "cert order" guy here and from that perspective, wildcard certs ease a lot of the administrative hassle. But I do also care about security, so that statement makes me scratch my head.

If you're using wildcard certs and the cert is compromised your entire domain is compromised. You lose the ability to authenticate the host. Yes you still get strong encryption and protection against MITM etc. but you're using incredibly coarse-grained authentication. It shouldn't be an administrative burden to manage certs. It's the same four or five commands every time to generate a CSR, get it signed and put the file in the right place. It's exactly the kind of thing that should be automated (though I understand plenty of CAs are not amenable to this).

The more security conscious places I've worked take this to its logical extreme and also split the certs into one for client activities and one for server activities (i.e. you've now got two where you used to have one) to absolutely minimise the level of damage if a cert is compromised. They also tend to rotate them monthly or so, which is a barrel of laughs when you're trying to integrate fucking terrible old-school enterprise software that does nothing properly.

If you want the formal view: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6125#section-7.2

I see. Makes sense. I haven't thougth about that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Every time _I_ see the title of this thread I think do an OSS project on github or something relating to the cert you wanted.
    This is the advice you should be listening to. Don't not get the cert, but as a hiring manager, I'm actually more interested in what you can do vs. the paper you carry around.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; February 19 2017 at 03:06:16 PM.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    If you're using wildcard certs and the cert is compromised your entire domain is compromised. You lose the ability to authenticate the host. Yes you still get strong encryption and protection against MITM etc. but you're using incredibly coarse-grained authentication. It shouldn't be an administrative burden to manage certs. It's the same four or five commands every time to generate a CSR, get it signed and put the file in the right place. It's exactly the kind of thing that should be automated (though I understand plenty of CAs are not amenable to this).

The more security conscious places I've worked take this to its logical extreme and also split the certs into one for client activities and one for server activities (i.e. you've now got two where you used to have one) to absolutely minimise the level of damage if a cert is compromised. They also tend to rotate them monthly or so, which is a barrel of laughs when you're trying to integrate fucking terrible old-school enterprise software that does nothing properly.

If you want the formal view: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6125#section-7.2
    I'm curious who you are using if they get compromised enough to make these steps necessary. I mean, I do get the sanity of these steps and that they are the "right" thing to do, but this sounds like a security guy inventing a problem to justify his salary.
    meh

It's not the CA being compromised that's mitigated by this approach; if the CA goes then it doesn't matter how fine-grained your certs are as they're all compromised anyway. It limits the damage of people being stupid about their certs, leaving them on open fileshares, emailing them around etc. Also, frankly, having that level of technical complexity in their deployment forces you to manage them in a hands-off automated fashion; ends up saving money in the long run. No more having A Cert Guy on your helpdesk who spends all day signing CSRs and telling people how keytool works.