hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 126 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2676116123124125126127128129 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2566

Thread: Driving on two wheels at terminal velocity - the [Motorcycle-Thread]

Got my ass (literally) caught on a speed cam today.

Was overtaking x cars, and there was a speed cam for the opposing lane.
    So they got a clear shot of my license plate...

Oh well, when the fine comes I'll just check the NO on accepting it.
    And just type in, doesn't look like me

And a mandatory bike picture (The bridge I use to commute on & the one in the tv show, The Bridge with Denmark on the other side)

You naughty boy!

And in the UK, if they get your plates, you can say it isn't you but somebody has to say it's them. Or it got stolen. Or something along those lines anyway.

Anyone have thoughts on the KTM 1090? Eyeing up a replacement for the K1300S. Want something upright, good for pillion, light(ish) and decent suspension. And not TOO slow.

A GS would have been ok but it ain't exactly light and I don't want the GS stigma attached. A KTM 990 SMT would have been perfect but want something new or very nearly new.

What are you after? Adventure bike of Sports Touring?
    Here is some examples.

I have a hard on for the Africa Twin, love its looks. Loves the automatic transmission. SOUNDS incredible.
    For the Sports Tourer, S1000XR. Some german genious put a racing engine into a touring bike. The result is epic! EPIC!

Adventure:
    GS is phenomenal, best in class etc. But pricey.
    Ducati Multistrada, very expensive. Less for off roading and more for touring.
    Triumph Tiger, 800 & 1200cc option. Great both on and off road.
    Honda Africa Twin, weakest engine of the lot. Incredible off road. Reasonable price.

Sports Touring
    BMW S1000XR, very fast!
    MV Augusta Turismo Veloce, pretty, fast, expensive.
    Kawa, Z1000SX, fast, "cheap" and overall good.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    What are you after? Adventure bike of Sports Touring?
    Here is some examples.

I have a hard on for the Africa Twin, love its looks. Loves the automatic transmission. SOUNDS incredible.
    For the Sports Tourer, S1000XR. Some german genious put a racing engine into a touring bike. The result is epic! EPIC!

Adventure:
    GS is phenomenal, best in class etc. But pricey.
    Ducati Multistrada, very expensive. Less for off roading and more for touring.
    Triumph Tiger, 800 & 1200cc option. Great both on and off road.
    Honda Africa Twin, weakest engine of the lot. Incredible off road. Reasonable price.

Sports Touring
    BMW S1000XR, very fast!
    MV Augusta Turismo Veloce, pretty, fast, expensive.
    Kawa, Z1000SX, fast, "cheap" and overall good.
    The S1000XR is a good contender tbh, but I can get a KTM 1090 (2018) brand new for 9999. The BMW is a few grand more, and has more power than I need tbh. My current bike has over 170 and I barely ever use it, I think the perfect power for me is around 120-130, in VTwin format. The 2004 Tuono I used to have was exactly that, but not great for pillion or touring.

GS - too big as I said
    Multistrada - great but too expensive
    Tiger 800/1200 - maybe.... but the Tiger 1050 seems more my thing. Will have to try one.
    Africa Twin - pig ugly IMHO

S1000XR, as above
    MVA - never heard of this model tbh, but if its expensive it will be a no-goer
    Z1000SX is more of what I've got currently, and not as good for pillion.

I don't need anything for off road.

You are now in the best of a new bike process. The research

Just go test drive a bunch!

I am really into getting a 790 Duke next year. Still not sure there are good luggage solutions for my yearly baik trip. Some months ago I talked to Touratech at a convention and they assured me that side bag carriers and all is in the works. Well still nothing on their website. SW Motech seems to have some nice sets, maybe it will be fine.

Have you guys heard anything about the bike? Like people having a ton of issues with the engine or electronics? Im not dead on getting exactly that model and things can change in a year, but it hits all my sweet spots. ~10k before custom parts, over 700cc, all the electronics you can think of. And its so comfy for me, im not the most flexible one around and on most bikes I feel uncomfortable due to a weird seat height / width / foot rest position combo.
    Oh and I tried it last year and it was just ridiculously good.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Your best off stalking their forum.

If its the bike you are comfortable on and you enjoy riding, it is the bike for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    You naughty boy!

And in the UK, if they get your plates, you can say it isn't you but somebody has to say it's them. Or it got stolen. Or something along those lines anyway.

Anyone have thoughts on the KTM 1090? Eyeing up a replacement for the K1300S. Want something upright, good for pillion, light(ish) and decent suspension. And not TOO slow.

A GS would have been ok but it ain't exactly light and I don't want the GS stigma attached. A KTM 990 SMT would have been perfect but want something new or very nearly new.

The 1090 is a fantastic bike. Feels much lighter than it is and has plenty of grunt. Very comfortable too, and can be had at "decent" prices. Wouldn't get the R unless you plan to do some real offroad, though. The big 21 inch front makes cornering take a bit more effort. There's also used 1190s to be had, but they're heavier, even if they drive fantastically. The BMW S1000XR has an issue with vibrations. Not really a problem to fix, but still. The bike is also stupidly heavy. The Tiger 800 and 1200 are very, very good, but you'd want one of the newer models, i.e. 2018 and up as they have a big improvement in power delivery and weight (in the 1200) over the older ones. I'd also go have a try on a 1050 sport. It's one hell of a beautiful bike and has a very good engine. Be warned that it's heavy, though.
    Last edited by thebomby; June 30 2019 at 10:52:38 PM.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    I am really into getting a 790 Duke next year. Still not sure there are good luggage solutions for my yearly baik trip. Some months ago I talked to Touratech at a convention and they assured me that side bag carriers and all is in the works. Well still nothing on their website. SW Motech seems to have some nice sets, maybe it will be fine.

Have you guys heard anything about the bike? Like people having a ton of issues with the engine or electronics? Im not dead on getting exactly that model and things can change in a year, but it hits all my sweet spots. ~10k before custom parts, over 700cc, all the electronics you can think of. And its so comfy for me, im not the most flexible one around and on most bikes I feel uncomfortable due to a weird seat height / width / foot rest position combo.
    Oh and I tried it last year and it was just ridiculously good.
    The first batch of 790 Dukes had issues. Mostly with overheating and poor fuelling iirc. After that they're fine. If you do buy one of the first batch, make sure to test ride it with a hot engine for a good half hour or so. And of course, the service book is a must. KTM does offer an extended warranty (I even still have warranty on my 2011 SMT), so you you shouldn't be in the dark if there are problems.

KTM recently became a topic on the s1kr forum.
    Lots of exploding engines.

The dissing of KTM/BMW has been a favourite past time of many a KTM/BMW rider. I don't like BMW cars or bikes. At all. For no good reason. The only BMW I would buy would be a F800R. Nothing else. It has nothing to do with how bad or how good BMW are. I just don't like the brand. Same thing with many BMW riders. They dislike KTM for no real reason. Both sets of riders will find fault in the other at the vaguest of rumours. I also don't like most Ducatis, for similar lack of reasons. But there are a few that I do like. The Scrambler Desert Sled, the Hypermotard 950. To be honest, though, if I were to buy a new bike from the showroom, it would be a Japanese bike. Eurobikes are just stupidly expensive at the garage. That's fine if you have a lot of money, but I don't.

@thebomby

Thanks man, good to know. I'll keep an eye on it. I'll make sure not to get one from their initial batch.

@Varrakk thanks mate, that's how I feel too. It it feels right then it is the one for me.

On a side note: I dropped my old CB500 (yeah the 1997 bike) at the repair shop to get the front brakes (disk and pads) and the fork seals changed. Today I got a nasty surprise, the fork tubes (the base) is rusting and cutting into the seals. He can change them but they will leak again eventually.

I basically will have to shell out $ for two new forks (without the tubes hopefully), should be around 400 plus work. The problem is, that together with the other components I wanted to change anyway will end up costing near 1k. The bike itself doesn't cost much more than that.

Sadly getting a new bike is out of scope for my budget this year so I'll have to take the hit. I mean what are my options, throw it away and buy the 790 Duke?
    I knew this moment will come but I hoped I'll get another year out of it. Oh well that's what I get for mismanaging my finances last year.
    Last edited by Tyrehl; July 3 2019 at 12:08:51 PM.
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

@thebomby

Thanks man, good to know. I'll keep an eye on it. I'll make sure not to get one from their initial batch.

@Varrakk thanks mate, that's how I feel too. It it feels right then it is the one for me.

On a side note: I dropped my old CB500 (yeah the 1997 bike) at the repair shop to get the front brakes (disk and pads) and the fork seals changed. Today I got a nasty surprise, the fork tubes (the base) is rusting and cutting into the seals. He can change them but they will leak again eventually.

I basically will have to shell out $ for two new forks (without the tubes hopefully), should be around 400€ plus work. The problem is, that together with the other components I wanted to change anyway will end up costing near 1k. The bike itself doesn't cost much more than that.

Sadly getting a new bike is out of scope for my budget this year so I'll have to take the hit. I mean what are my options, throw it away and buy the 790 Duke?
    I knew this moment will come but I hoped I'll get another year out of it. Oh well that's what I get for mismanaging my finances last year.
    just change the seals and make it last as long is it can, absolutely no point in spending the bikes value on repairs. Especially when it isn't anything rare or special.

@thebomby

I basically will have to shell out $ for two new forks (without the tubes hopefully), should be around 400€ plus work. The problem is, that together with the other components I wanted to change anyway will end up costing near 1k. The bike itself doesn't cost much more than that.

Ebay for a pair of used forks?

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    @thebomby

Ebay for a pair of used forks?
    This. Replacing forks is a matter of a socket set and a screwdriver and 90 minutes of youtube videos.

Used CB500 forks are probably sold by the kilo they're so common

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Scrapheap, plenty of wrecked bikes with good forks.

I went to the workshop today to drop off some documents and took a look, they polished them a bit and you can barely see the rust spots. On one of the forks I could feel the bump but really nothing major. Probably from stone impacts, other than having to change seals more often in the future this won't be a problem.
    Gotta get that 790 duke next year tho.

Leave the rust, change the seals and part-ex it at the KTM dealer already!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tire-inflator/

This one looks like a perfect tool to bring when touring.
    I pledged for the powered version.
    With my compact plugging kit, this won't eat up much room.

Meh, I got this from Louis.de. It's a piece of chinese crap, but it works well and is very small, about the same size as that kickstarter vibrator cut in two with the two pieces placed next to one another. If you want really small, get CO2 cartridges.