hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 103 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving on two wheels at terminal velocity - the [Motorcycle-Thread]

Driving on two wheels at terminal velocity - the [Motorcycle-Thread]

If there was an old thread, it died a long time ago, decayed and turned into fertile bits which now should fuel this new thread.

And i was in need of such a thread ...

So, i just started doing my licence and also started looking for bikes. Some colleagues mentioned the Suzuki 600 as a good starter-bike and turns out there is one on sale in the next town for 1500 .

It is a Suzuki GSF 600N Bandit to be precise with, built 1998 and has almost 77k km on it. Judging by the pictures, would you say it is worth it?

Or any other inexpensive good starter-bike with around the same power?

I'm more a fan of naked bike and don't plan on racing down highways (or Autobahn), i'd rather cruise a bit. But having a bit of more power so overtaking isn't a "could be enough"-game.

Spoiler:

And else ... make this the Motor-Bike-Thread!

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    aka please sign up to be an organ donor before riding thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cortess View Post
    If there was an old thread, it died a long time ago, decayed and turned into fertile bits which now should fuel this new thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    aka please sign up to be an organ donor before riding thread
    Didn't expect anything else from this thread, left happy.

I am already registered as one. So back to the other stuff...

I would be very careful buying an older bike with that many miles on it. If you have a friend that's knowledgeable about bikes, take him with you to go test ride the bike. If the owner does not let you test ride it, do not buy it. And even then you can't be sure.

I've been burned by a 2001 Yamaha YZF600R that was fine when I tested it, then developed a fault in the brake system that required the calipers to be replaced a week after I got it. That bike almost killed me, by the way.

I recommend a Kawasaki Ninja 300, either new or a few years old used. Honda Rebel 250 is also a very forgiving bike to learn on and is another cheap one new/like new used. Rebels and Ninjas have good resale value (at least in the US) and you should be able to sell it for just as much as you got it for after you outgrow the bike (assuming you bought it from an owner).

Honestly with how old that bike you are looking at is, there's a good chance many horses have gotten loose over the years and it's old 600cc kick is gone. And you can make any bike naked, just take the fairings off.
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; July 5 2014 at 07:06:19 AM.

XenosisReaper
    Bike are for boy racers and people who really really want to die but can't figure out how to kill themselves in a way that doesn't leave bystanders full of flaming shrapnel and fuel

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisReaper View Post
    Bike are for boy racers and people who really really want to die but can't figure out how to kill themselves in a way that doesn't leave bystanders full of flaming shrapnel and fuel
    inb4darkflare

XenosisReaper
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    inb4darkflare
    It's 10AM on a Saturday here, he won't be up for a bit

woah there edgemaster

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    I think he's going to live a long and non-productive life.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

XenosisReaper
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    I think he's going to live a long and non-productive life.
    Please I did so many excel spreadsheets this week

To OP: It's a nice bike, but having driven an older bike with many km's before, I think the chances are there that it will have a fair amount of wear and tear, even if everything else is fine. Engine, brakes, chain, electrics etc. I wouldn't recommend it. The engine size is very nice and it is indeed a good size to tour with, travel in town, use as an everyday bike. Just be careful not to overestimate your driving skills in the beginning. Although all the trolls here are dickbuttes, they do have a point: motorbikes need one to drive defensively, all the time. Keep that in mind and you'll have loads of fun.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

here's me with my wife and my ex sexy mistress

Never had 600 bandit but i have driven bandit 1200 s and its an ok bike, i would prefer anything with a front wind protection though, bikes with front mask are much nicer to drive in bad weather especially...so bandit 600 S much better choice imho
    Last edited by Badboy K; July 5 2014 at 10:43:20 AM.

Also doing my license at the moment (almost done, will do the last mandatory lessons tonight), driving school has a Honda CBF 600N (naked, mid 70-ish HP) which is a fun bike in the twisties (drops nicely into turns, pulls out of them well) and also does okay on the Autobahn (although the lack of fairings / wind shield makes anything about 130/140kph noisy and somewhat unfomfortable

What I'm looking at as a first bike is Kawasaki's ER-6f (or Ninja 650 in the US). More or less same HP as the bike that I'm currently driving, has ABS (which is awesome for emergency braking), fairings which make it more comfortable for longer distances (which I will probably cover a fair few times) and it looks pretty sweet.

So, the CBF600 is a nice bike (and as I can attest to, beginner friendly), the ER-6f has a naked sister (that sounds dirty ...), the ER-6n with the same specs, just without fairings.

e: the bike that I want. Not sure yet whether to drop full price on a new one or find a used. Honestly not a fan of used vehicles
      Spoiler:
    Last edited by corywyn; July 5 2014 at 10:44:00 AM.

The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

I've seen enough videos to know that on a bike you should always assume that you're invisible.

Also on that bike: Yeah, after widening the area of my search i found a similar bike with half the km, inspection until first quarter of 2016 for only 250€ more. If still avaiable i'll have a look at that one.

Honda Rebel 250 and the Ninja ... compared to the Suzuki there are a lot less sells in germany, even less in reachable distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortess View Post
    I've seen enough videos to know that on a bike you should always assume that you're invisible.

Also on that bike: Yeah, after widening the area of my search i found a similar bike with half the km, inspection until first quarter of 2016 for only 250€ more. If still avaiable i'll have a look at that one.

Honda Rebel 250 and the Ninja ... compared to the Suzuki there are a lot less sells in germany, even less in reachable distances.
    Lousy time for buying right now, mid summer is where all the fair-weather riders aren't selling. Fall/winter is the time to buy when people realize that they aren't riding enough / the wife is nagging / whatever and they decide to sell. Hell, even early spring is better, most shops need to dump off their last-year model bikes and give 10%+ off for new bikes which is fairly nice.

Yes, I know. But then I wouldn't be able to drive this year anymore.

But anyway, I now own a bike.

By a handheld device.

By a handheld device.