hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [News] Alliance Tournament XII Signups are Ongoing!

I think it would suck for the winning teams (Mostly us and PL) because it would prevent a single team having access to a certain unique (You can't control the distribution, price, and who people are selling too) but I'd like to see the prize distribution changed. I think the prize ships should be handed out in the following way.

1st: 30 Cruisers and Frigates
    2nd: 15 Cruisers and Frigates
    3rd: 5 Cruisers and Frigates

Historically, 3rd place in the Alliance Tournament has always been a booby prize. Bronze medal and some insignificant amount of isk that often only covers the teams tournament fund for the year. This makes 3rd place a much more sought after position and increases the amount of alliances that receive prize ships by 1. Additionally, I've always felt that we 'won' the tournament the second we got into the final because we had essentially won 5 trillion isk whatever the outcome. Playing for 1st place is all about pride (Which there is nothing wrong with, and is definitely important within all of Hydra) but essentially 1st and 2nd have won near identical isk. Also, the Frigate hull is often more sought after than the Cruiser hull in AT for teams. I think this puts a lot more pressure and excitement on coming in first place.

There are a lot of great teams that are really strong but not quite at the absolute top that I think definitely deserve prize ships/more rewards. (Teams like The Ronin, Exodus, Volta, Pre AT10 Darkside, Hun Reloaded etc.) We really need more diverse and better competition and having more rewards and prize positions definitely encourage that.

For 4th and maybe all the way to 10th (Basically final weekend) I think should get their 5 entry plex refunded and then a percentage of the remaining plex pool.

4th: 20%
    5th: 18%
    6th: 16%
    7th: 14%
    8th: 12%
    9th: 10%
    10th: 8%

Something like this. If the plex prize pool is similar to NEO (And personally I think that the AT governs a lot more interest than the NEO so probably more). Then any team that makes it into the final weekend has at least reimbursed their entry, and can actually make a bit of isk from it. 4th place would get approx 5+100 plex (75b~) if we use NEO II pool as example. And 10th would get 5+40 plex (30b~) which would reimburse their AT fund at the least, or can be used to remunerate pilots.

Also another cool thing about the NEO II, was that anyone participating, even if they got 0-2 chaos dunked, Got the NEOII shirts in-game, which is a fun collectable item. I'd like to see a shirt for AT. Another aspect which CCP unfortunately didn't bring back was the NEO I tournament cards, they actually promised them for ATXI but has since been forgotten about or scrapped. Getting your character ingrained on a piece of eve history has a lot of value to certain people.

I'd love to see eve-style baseball cards for eve AT teams, or characters with their AT history, kills, losses featuring a ship they've flown, and then distribute those cards via holiday event or making them a drop from spawns/exploration or something. If you made collectable cards for the top 10 teams, and then feature a captain and then 2 other players who fly different roles/ships per team (total 40) sounds reasonable. I think it would give a lot of teams reason to try and compete and make it into the final weekend.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    There's no need to set up prize brackets even.

One of the issues is that as you get deeper (derper?) in the tournament, resources get stretched more thin for many non-top-tier outfits.

Solution: during the tournament, assign an automatic PLEX bounty to be distributed for winning each match. Increase the PLEX bounty for each win per round (i.e. winning a 4th day match is worth more than a 1st day match) and set the total PLEX available for winning to approximately the entry fees. Since 1/4 of the teams by definition will not win a single match, and another 1/4 or so win only one (win-lose-lose, lose-win-lose), that comes out alright for the teams that begin progressing. Start bounties in the 2nd weekend to concentrate them more where people need it.

Average winners profit, small outfits gain resources in the midst of a tournament (which doesn't affect big players anyways)

Entire problem solved.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

I don't know. I think if you gift everyone after the second weekend, you lower the overall prizes to those who come 10th-2nd and makes it a bit less viable as a profession for the top 4-10. I think making it to the final weekend is a good milestone.

I also like Sotonias idea better.
    What do you need in ISK per match? 2bil? If your teams runs some incursions with 100% tax once a week that should cover it, no?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Also you would never get the ISK in time, most likely 2 weeks after the finals at earliest, because :ccp:

But i also think, that the price distribution should be changed. Giving all the teams of the finals weekend sounds like a good start.

Well, in the end not so many people care about the tourney at all, heck even people streaming heartstone daily get more viewers on their streams every day than the neo final... When there are only 10k peak viewers and 64 * 12 = 786 pilots minimum on the teams every 1/10th of the viewers needs to be personally involved in the tourney.

Thats why I would like to see it publicized more, in-game. In my opinion CCP didn't really do as good a job as they could have done with publicizing the NEOII especially, as well as AT11. So many people who weren't directly involved or considering participating were like "what?" and didn't know what it was. If you ask in the NPC corp channels the majority of people have not heard of the tournament or knew that there was even one going on. I think you can draw parallels to the CSM elections, where a large minority do not know they are taking place or even what they are, and of course, the majority of players don't even read the forums or dev-blogs.

Maybe it's something that I should personally advocate on the eveiseasy channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Longdrinks View Post
    then go play those games vOv
    If ccp ever feels that AT ships unbalance the matchups they are free to balance them with points like they did for dominix and ishtar this time.
    The point isn't "I like these games better", it's that CCP is trying to make a competitive circuit out of EVE, but the fact that certain alliances have an upperhand doesn't make any of the competitive personalities interested.

Sisi down this weekend so they can build the database for Crius. They recognize this is going to disrupt tourney practices this weekend. Gargant announced that there will be a tourney practice server set up but it won't be ready for this weekend and it won't have all the support it had last year.

Sources:
    https://forums.eveonline.com/default...50#post4682650
    http://community.eveonline.com/news/...er-information
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

Didnt you want to stop bloggin/posting/playing eve?

Quote Originally Posted by Eshnala View Post
    He's transforming from the cynical vet to a bitter vet as his one week posting ratio is heavily skewed in favour of FHC over his blog.
    "We need less dakka dakka!" -No one. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Davion Falcon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshnala View Post
    He's transforming from the cynical vet to a bitter vet as his one week posting ratio is heavily skewed in favour of FHC over his blog.
    I shut down the blog. But I said right in it that I'm going to continue playing EVE, specifically the parts of EVE I find fun. That included tournament play.
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

Quote Originally Posted by Suitonia View Post
    Thats why I would like to see it publicized more, in-game. In my opinion CCP didn't really do as good a job as they could have done with publicizing the NEOII especially, as well as AT11. So many people who weren't directly involved or considering participating were like "what?" and didn't know what it was. If you ask in the NPC corp channels the majority of people have not heard of the tournament or knew that there was even one going on. I think you can draw parallels to the CSM elections, where a large minority do not know they are taking place or even what they are, and of course, the majority of players don't even read the forums or dev-blogs.

Maybe it's something that I should personally advocate on the eveiseasy channel.
    The NEO doesn't have the same appeal from the viewers point of view since the teams haven't had the time yet to build up an identity. Partly due to teams changing between events and partly because of the event still being new-ish. For the AT, the big alliances can always drum up internal interest and view matches together on TS/mumble because it's "their team" fighting or the people they shoot on a daily basis getting torn a new one.

It's sort of like the difference between Champions League and the World Cup. Sure, you will keep an eye on the former and try to catch a game or two, but you're not calling in sick for a month like you would for the other.

Note: the metaphor is intended hyperbole and the author does not condone, nor will himself take, such measures. I mean, it's just fucking football. Get over it.

First off, I watched the AT for the last few years, and tbh considered making a play for a team when I was still playing. But...

Given the entry price plus any associated in game cost plus the time for practices and the weekends in comparison simply does not match in any way. CCP wanting you to work your ass off for their marketing, being exposed to a more or less well run environment and quite likely having to mark down a total loss... well, no thanks. Don't get me wrong there, I don't see it as a get-rich-quick-scheme, but I think a certain balance of effort and reward should be there. Suitonia suggestions are what I'd consider plenty.

After all the fucking thing will be a marketing event, so pay some shit :CPP: . It's kinda ridiculous to have to pay to enter the tourney anyway.

Blessed you cherish my posting above Ripard's blogging ^_^
    Ape shall not kill Ape.

Like the fat headed ponies of the Mongolian steppe and those who tame them my posts live wild and free on this website.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suitonia View Post
    I don't know. I think if you gift everyone after the second weekend, you lower the overall prizes to those who come 10th-2nd and makes it a bit less viable as a profession for the top 4-10. I think making it to the final weekend is a good milestone.
    I should have clarified that the existing ship prizes would still be handed out, or modified in a suitable way to make the top 4-5 attractive still.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

T-shirt and a collectable ship skin would be nice. But yes. The price structure should create an incentive to be in the tournament even if you don't do well.

Edit: Made a post on the Dev Blog feedback. Maybe a few more people could stop by and add their tid bits. Link
    Last edited by Aliventi; June 9 2014 at 10:12:04 PM.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    'We're really struggling for teams this year. Please sign up!'

Death to B teams.

In terms of rewards for competing: What about a cosmetic ship skin, like the AT Prize ship but only without actually being a prize ship, since they already created the artwork for the Prize Ships anyway. Giving everyone who competes a 1x run BPC of a Guristas Condor(Crow)/Blackbird(Falcon) would be cool (To mirror the Whiptail & Chameleon), wouldn't take much effort on part of CCP since the art assets would already be in the game, just need to put 2 new ship ID into the database, and would give everyone who competed a unique collectable hanger trophy, or cool limited ship skin. Could give larger run BPCs to players on teams that go further, or provide entertaining matches.

I.e. Just give teams a 10x run Condor AT Edition and 10x run Blackbird AT Edition BPC for each match they play in regardless of outcome, So even if you get 0-2'd, you still get 20 skinned Condors and 20 skinned blackbird and every match you win you basically get another 10 condor and blackbird skins, 20 skinned condors and 20 skinned BBs is enough to pay out to every person who was involved in an AT team, so even if you lose first weekend, everyone on your team gets a skinned ship at least. And there is more incentive to continue in the losers bracket playing more games even if you don't think you'll reach a prize position.
    Last edited by Suitonia; June 11 2014 at 10:18:16 PM.