hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: [Blog] Bridging The Gap: Space Police

[Blog] Bridging The Gap: Space Police

In this blog I talk about suggested changes to add some content to high sec in regards to players taking on the role of the police and dealing with outlaws. The exact changes are:

1. Security status can only be altered while in empire space. (high and low)
    2. NPC police no longer attacks a player if their security status is too low.
    3. Any assist mechanic used on an outlaw will result in being suspect flagged and a security status hit.
    4. An additional 10% bounty is paid if it is a war target and/or an additional 10% if they are the top 10 most wanted.

http://marlonasky.wordpress.com/2014...-space-police/
    Last edited by Marlona Sky; May 19 2014 at 08:32:37 PM.

Solid idea.

Part of me thinks it will just be abused linked, snaked/slaved, pimpfit ships baiting aggro from poorly fit HS ships and farming kills. I think you'd have to make the assisting penalty much higher, maybe gate gun aggro or faction police aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Solid idea.

Part of me thinks it will just be abused linked, snaked/slaved, pimpfit ships baiting aggro from poorly fit HS ships and farming kills. I think you'd have to make the assisting penalty much higher, maybe gate gun aggro or faction police aggro?
    I'm not really thinking this will make carebears out down their mining lasers and start slaying outlaws. A few might, but it will also draw in solid PvP players who spend their time hunting.

The gate guns and faction police attacking assisting players to outlaws could be left to part of the balancing process. Same as how sevear the sec hit.

Marlona, you magnificent bastard. You read my post!

More seriously, the bounty scaling is bad. It doesn't apply to most cases, isn't a very strong incentive in the first place, and doesn't actually add an appreciable amount of player interaction. I see the intent (We should wardec Big Bad Ebil Pirate Co. and get extra bounties!) but it won't work that way in practice. If you actually wardec them and they fight, you'll be harvesting most of their bounties anyways over the course of the war. If they don't fight, bigger bounties still won't be worth the hassle of deccing them.

Other than that, a good first step in the right direction, but I don't think it's ambitious enough. You've fundamentally created a 'business as (mostly) usual' change proposal. Negative sec status should radically alter the game for outlaws, but not by simply closing off vast swathes of space with no benefit.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    I don't think it's ambitious enough.
    I'm hoping to reveal the rest of the iceberg in a week or two.
    Last edited by Marlona Sky; May 20 2014 at 05:01:20 PM.

THE PUNISHED
    it is now a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    it is now a week or two.
    Not empty quoting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melichor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    it is now a week or two.
    Not empty quoting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Yeah sorry. Had to take a break and take a step back for a few days to re-evaluate. Should be done by the end of the weekend.

THE PUNISHED
    Ive been saying thT ahout the soundboard for three years!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk