hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General sleep isses thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post
    I also tend towards a 26-hour day. The easiest way to fix it is to just stay up through the night and the next day, and go to sleep at the normal time.
    This approach works but failing to pull off this manoeuvre will fuck you up if you have any responsibilities to deal with the following day.

Forcing yourself into a regular pattern, going to bed and waking up at the same time every day is the best solution because it will result in the most daylight hours possible, you'll also tend to be tired less.

Exercise will help you feel tired enough in the evenings to drop off on time which is the biggest problem.

Sent from my Amstrad GX4000 using Tapatalk
    Certainly, I only try the "stay up" if for whatever reason I miss a bedtime or such. Regular schedule helps a lot. Exercise also helps. Finally, having a bedroom where the sun shines in the window in the morning helps. And yes, f.lux is nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Already posted.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hels View Post

Already posted.
    I have posted.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    ITT people come up with complex reasons why its not "no exercise and gaming until 5am drinking mountain dew" that is at the core of their sleep issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Already posted.
    interdasting

I'd like to sleep more but I have a lot of gaming to squeeze into my day and sleeping gets in the way of that.

I tend to sleep on the way in and home from work to make up for lost hours. Last night was pretty bad though, stayed up until midnight playing games and then just couldn't fall asleep until about 3am

Autistic nerds best nerds:

Basic sleep hygeine:

SETTING:

1. Your bed is just your bed. You dont eat there, you dont watch TV there, you don't game there, you dont even play with your phone beyond the bare amount necessary to set alarms. Ideally this extends to your whole bedroom.

2. Bed, mattress and sheets - this is so important, your mattress and sheets should literally be among your most valuable possessions. Work out what you need to sleep well (for me, a fairly hard pocket sprung super-king and a high-thread count cotton sheet with a thin duvet on top. Spend money on this - at least as much as your gaming rig, ideally double.

3. Light and sound - you need as close to pitch darkness and silence (or, for some people, only a steady hum) while sleeping as possible. Invest in making it so. If noise is an issue get some nice silicon earplugs (fuck the foam bullshit ones). Conversely, if you need to get up at the crack of dawn each day, dont be afraid to allow light in to wake you.

4. Alarm clocks - your evil, basement dweller brain has developed the ability to disable the alarm function on your phone without you even waking up. Fuck that shit, its time to go nuclear. Get yourself a really obnoxious alarm you cant sleep through and then, and this is the crucial bit, set it up somewhere you cant even close to reach from your bed. Ideally its on top of your wardrobe so you need to move a chair and stand on it to turn it off. Set an alarm even at weekends (but +2hrs, obviously).

SET:

5. Bed-time. For weekdays, pick a bedtime in advance based on when you need to be up each day (it should be the same time for all 5 days even if you dont "need" to get up on one or two of them - routine is king) and exercise your atrophied willpower to stick to it. SLEEP AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. My experience is that one hour of sleep before midnight is worth 2 hours between 12 and 6, and 4 hours after 6am. Sleep after noon basically doesnt seem to provide any additional refreshment whatsoever. (night shift workers experience may vary). If necessary, set an alarm at the time you need to go to bed.

6. Caffeine is great, IN THE MORNING. Caffeine in the afternoon? Not so much. Experiment with the last time you can drink caffeine without it affecting your sleep, for me its around 3pm but I know people who find noon. Having a coffee or caffeinated suger-drink at supper time? Retardation. Worth mentioning that you should avoid drinking too much of ANYTHING for the 2 hours prior to bed, as peeing in the night cuts into good sleep time.

7. Internet, phone and games late at night - all of these things involve staring at a bright light and trick your brain into being awake. As mentioned, try Flux, but even better, be strict about not fucking around on the internet etc from 1 hour before bedtime onwards.

8. Wake-up. Lie-ins are a lie - the clue is in the name. They do NOT make you any more refreshed and should be avoided EXCEPT as a weekend luxury. You know that soparific feeling you get (warm and cozy) when you first wake up, your brain just begging you to stay in bed? The only way to clear that is to get up and get moving. Once the alarm goes off, you go straight into the shower or to the gym. No lying in bed. Be ultra-strict with yourself on this, and in conjunction with 4 this should be manageable.
    Last edited by Lallante; May 6 2014 at 11:50:48 AM.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post

Certainly, I only try the "stay up" if for whatever reason I miss a bedtime or such. Regular schedule helps a lot. Exercise also helps. Finally, having a bedroom where the sun shines in the window in the morning helps. And yes, f.lux is nice as well.
    Well if you're not in my faggot #wh40k channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Autistic nerds best nerds:

Basic sleep hygeine:

SETTING:

1. Your bed is just your bed. You dont eat there, you dont watch TV there, you don't game there, you dont even play with your phone beyond the bare amount necessary to set alarms. Ideally this extends to your whole bedroom.

2. Bed, mattress and sheets - this is so important, your mattress and sheets should literally be among your most valuable possessions. Work out what you need to sleep well (for me, a fairly hard pocket sprung super-king and a high-thread count cotton sheet with a thin duvet on top. Spend money on this - at least as much as your gaming rig, ideally double.

3. Light and sound - you need as close to pitch darkness and silence (or, for some people, only a steady hum) while sleeping as possible. Invest in making it so. If noise is an issue get some nice silicon earplugs (fuck the foam bullshit ones). Conversely, if you need to get up at the crack of dawn each day, dont be afraid to allow light in to wake you.

4. Alarm clocks - your evil, basement dweller brain has developed the ability to disable the alarm function on your phone without you even waking up. Fuck that shit, its time to go nuclear. Get yourself a really obnoxious alarm you cant sleep through and then, and this is the crucial bit, set it up somewhere you cant even close to reach from your bed. Ideally its on top of your wardrobe so you need to move a chair and stand on it to turn it off. Set an alarm even at weekends (but +2hrs, obviously).

SET:

5. Bed-time. For weekdays, pick a bedtime in advance based on when you need to be up each day (it should be the same time for all 5 days even if you dont "need" to get up on one or two of them - routine is king) and exercise your atrophied willpower to stick to it. SLEEP AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. My experience is that one hour of sleep before midnight is worth 2 hours between 12 and 6, and 4 hours after 6am. Sleep after noon basically doesnt seem to provide any additional refreshment whatsoever. (night shift workers experience may vary). If necessary, set an alarm at the time you need to go to bed.

6. Caffeine is great, IN THE MORNING. Caffeine in the afternoon? Not so much. Experiment with the last time you can drink caffeine without it affecting your sleep, for me its around 3pm but I know people who find noon. Having a coffee or caffeinated suger-drink at supper time? Retardation. Worth mentioning that you should avoid drinking too much of ANYTHING for the 2 hours prior to bed, as peeing in the night cuts into good sleep time.

7. Internet, phone and games late at night - all of these things involve staring at a bright light and trick your brain into being awake. As mentioned, try Flux, but even better, be strict about not fucking around on the internet etc from 1 hour before bedtime onwards.

8. Wake-up. Lie-ins are a lie - the clue is in the name. They do NOT make you any more refreshed and should be avoided EXCEPT as a weekend luxury. You know that soparific feeling you get (warm and cozy) when you first wake up, your brain just begging you to stay in bed? The only way to clear that is to get up and get moving. Once the alarm goes off, you go straight into the shower or to the gym. No lying in bed. Be ultra-strict with yourself on this, and in conjunction with 4 this should be manageable.
    That sounds like hell compared to a nice warm bed (with added Nintendo DS, laptop and telly).

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Snip!
    That sounds like hell compared to a nice warm bed (with added Nintendo DS, laptop and telly).
    Worth mentioning that if you follow all of that advice you'll spend 4000 on a bed. If that bed isn't then nice and warm then you have made a grave, grave error.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Snip!
    Worth mentioning that if you follow all of that advice you'll spend 4000 on a bed. If that bed isn't then nice and warm then you have made a grave, grave error.
    I bought a pretty expensive duvet before the winter and it was well worth it, dunno about spending 4k on a bed though. For that kind of cash I'd probably want to sleep all day to feel like I was getting my money's worth.

The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    I have the ability to sleep any where anytime.

Squaddie sleep skills best skills.

Also at home I have a full tempur mattress so booyasuckstobeyou

Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

Tapatalk
    I can fall asleep standing up. While sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    I can fall asleep standing up. While sober.
    zeekar irl
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

Tapatalk
    Almost as good as Herk Nav sleep Skills.
    Get on my level son.

+1 to mattress.

Tapatalk
    Get on my level son.

+1 to mattress.
    Does that involve entering a mental state of hibernation while still perceiving through mostly-closed eyes and returning to an awake and functional state when the proper audible or visual queue prompts you?

bah. bed at half twelve. alarm got me up at 10. feel tired as fuck lol lets see how this goes

The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!

Tapatalk

Get on my level son.

+1 to mattress.

Dude implying I haven slept in the back of a herc and a moving tanks (once while driving)

Tapatalk

Snip!
    I bought a pretty expensive duvet before the winter and it was well worth it, dunno about spending 4k on a bed though. For that kind of cash I'd probably want to sleep all day to feel like I was getting my money's worth.
    Its only 4k if you spent 2k on your gaming rig.

Tapatalk

Get on my level son.

+1 to mattress.

Dude implying I haven slept in the back of a herc and a moving tanks (once while driving)

Tapatalk
    The four fans of freedom are my cradle, my security blanket.