hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1080 of 1097 FirstFirst ... 805809801030107010771078107910801081108210831090 ... LastLast
Results 21,581 to 21,600 of 21940

Thread: Ukraine: Russian Invasion

  1. #21581
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,403
    Ukraine pulling back once again from a key city. Also did see another note where they again confirm the lose 200 people a day.
    Ukraine also reporting Russia firing about 50-60k shells per day which is 10x to what Ukraine do/can do, not enough ammo ready or being produced nor enough equipment to match the fire power.
    So in regards to earlier discussions, Russia can sustain this a lot longer than Ukraine, including man power, regardless of (current level) of western material being sent.

    And once/when/IF Ukraine can hold on until Russia cant no more its still the job of getting lost territory back. This shit show will go on for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  2. #21582
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,689
    There is no way that Russia can sustain 50-60k artillery shells a day. There isn't enough production capacity on the planet. At some point they will exhaust their artillery advantage, and then we will see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  3. #21583

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    6,027
    If they are firing that many shells a day - they have to be piled up somewhere. Locate the piles and destroy them with HIMARS.

  4. #21584

    Join Date
    April 26, 2011
    Posts
    92
    Has there been any evidence of other nations selling/borrowing/bartering military equipment to Russia?
    I'm talking something akin to a "For X barrels of crude you get Y boxes of relevant ammunition in return"-deal.

  5. #21585

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Solana View Post
    Has there been any evidence of other nations selling/borrowing/bartering military equipment to Russia?
    I'm talking something akin to a "For X barrels of crude you get Y boxes of relevant ammunition in return"-deal.
    So far there have been zero reported military aid received from abroad by Russia. Even China has stayed out of it.

  6. #21586
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Ukraine pulling back once again from a key city. Also did see another note where they again confirm the lose 200 people a day.
    Ukraine also reporting Russia firing about 50-60k shells per day which is 10x to what Ukraine do/can do, not enough ammo ready or being produced nor enough equipment to match the fire power.
    So in regards to earlier discussions, Russia can sustain this a lot longer than Ukraine, including man power, regardless of (current level) of western material being sent.

    And once/when/IF Ukraine can hold on until Russia cant no more its still the job of getting lost territory back. This shit show will go on for years.
    Abandoning Severodonetsk make sense, over the weeks the siege has lasted, the city is erased off the map.
    Why fight over pebbles? Another pyrrhic victory for Russia, cost them so much resources to take a ruin.

    On the west side of Severodonetsk is a big river, and its sister city on top of a 150m high hill.
    How they going to Lysychansk without catastrophic losses, will be a puzzle.
    This city they will not give up, even in ruins it will still be a very strong defensive position.

    Longer range artillery, with a height advantage will have free reign over Russian position, especially as they will try to cross the river (they destroyed all the bridges for).
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  7. #21587
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,034
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Ukraine pulling back once again from a key city. Also did see another note where they again confirm the lose 200 people a day.
    Ukraine also reporting Russia firing about 50-60k shells per day which is 10x to what Ukraine do/can do, not enough ammo ready or being produced nor enough equipment to match the fire power.
    So in regards to earlier discussions, Russia can sustain this a lot longer than Ukraine, including man power, regardless of (current level) of western material being sent.

    And once/when/IF Ukraine can hold on until Russia cant no more its still the job of getting lost territory back. This shit show will go on for years.
    Abandoning Severodonetsk make sense, over the weeks the siege has lasted, the city is erased off the map.
    Why fight over pebbles? Another pyrrhic victory for Russia, cost them so much resources to take a ruin.

    On the west side of Severodonetsk is a big river, and its sister city on top of a 150m high hill.
    How they going to Lysychansk without catastrophic losses, will be a puzzle.
    This city they will not give up, even in ruins it will still be a very strong defensive position.

    Longer range artillery, with a height advantage will have free reign over Russian position, especially as they will try to cross the river (they destroyed all the bridges for).
    While I like to believe this is true, if its so compelling strategically why didnt they pull back much sooner and stem those 200/day losses?

  8. #21588
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    8,971
    Because it's easy to be the general after the battle.

    Also, Zelensky and the UKR leadership is on walking a very narrow edge - they simply cannot allow a city to fall without a fight. The, ahem, more radical elements in Ukraine could look upon it very unfavourably.

    In other news, Perun's got another episode. This one's gonna be a doozey.

    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; June 26 2022 at 09:07:05 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

  9. #21589
    Fara's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Ukraine pulling back once again from a key city. Also did see another note where they again confirm the lose 200 people a day.
    Ukraine also reporting Russia firing about 50-60k shells per day which is 10x to what Ukraine do/can do, not enough ammo ready or being produced nor enough equipment to match the fire power.
    So in regards to earlier discussions, Russia can sustain this a lot longer than Ukraine, including man power, regardless of (current level) of western material being sent.

    And once/when/IF Ukraine can hold on until Russia cant no more its still the job of getting lost territory back. This shit show will go on for years.
    Abandoning Severodonetsk make sense, over the weeks the siege has lasted, the city is erased off the map.
    Why fight over pebbles? Another pyrrhic victory for Russia, cost them so much resources to take a ruin.

    On the west side of Severodonetsk is a big river, and its sister city on top of a 150m high hill.
    How they going to Lysychansk without catastrophic losses, will be a puzzle.
    This city they will not give up, even in ruins it will still be a very strong defensive position.

    Longer range artillery, with a height advantage will have free reign over Russian position, especially as they will try to cross the river (they destroyed all the bridges for).
    While I like to believe this is true, if its so compelling strategically why didnt they pull back much sooner and stem those 200/day losses?
    Perhaps to degrade the offensive capable units of the russian army in a city fight where they think they can trade more favorable than on open ground where the artillery advantage plays a bigger role. Granted it's been the best units of the Ukrainian army that were defending the donbas initially, my guess is they reinforced the city and surroundings with TDF/volunteers after it became clear that the donbas would become the new focal point some weeks ago.

  10. #21590
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    16,450
    Battles in cities are meatgrinders for both sides. Stalingrad caused some 700k Axis casualties (killed, wounded, captured), a million for the Soviets. Yet it broke the Axis' back, not the Soviets'.
    nevar forget

  11. #21591
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,403
    And another thing, what are the chances of Ukraine going forward to reclaim lost territory without air superiority? Either through actual airforce or enough AA to make it impossible for RUS to fly?
    Not saying it cant be done but it would be a horrifying grind without it and that in itself is almost a show stopper. That said, it seems there is a lot less video of RUS air force being posted these days (not sure thats an indication or not?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  12. #21592

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Battles in cities are meatgrinders for both sides. Stalingrad caused some 700k Axis casualties (killed, wounded, captured), a million for the Soviets. Yet it broke the Axis' back, not the Soviets'.
    Soviets were backed by Lend-Lease then, now Lend-Lease backs Ukraine.
    The current Russian strategy of throwing massive, unsustainable, quantities of war stocks and human lives at the Ukrainians until they give-up is BRILLIANT. Even though they have a lot of apartment buildings to go, the brilliant strategist Putin is determined to knock every one of them down. Watching the genius at work…

  13. #21593
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Ukraine pulling back once again from a key city. Also did see another note where they again confirm the lose 200 people a day.
    Ukraine also reporting Russia firing about 50-60k shells per day which is 10x to what Ukraine do/can do, not enough ammo ready or being produced nor enough equipment to match the fire power.
    So in regards to earlier discussions, Russia can sustain this a lot longer than Ukraine, including man power, regardless of (current level) of western material being sent.

    And once/when/IF Ukraine can hold on until Russia cant no more its still the job of getting lost territory back. This shit show will go on for years.
    Abandoning Severodonetsk make sense, over the weeks the siege has lasted, the city is erased off the map.
    Why fight over pebbles? Another pyrrhic victory for Russia, cost them so much resources to take a ruin.

    On the west side of Severodonetsk is a big river, and its sister city on top of a 150m high hill.
    How they going to Lysychansk without catastrophic losses, will be a puzzle.
    This city they will not give up, even in ruins it will still be a very strong defensive position.

    Longer range artillery, with a height advantage will have free reign over Russian position, especially as they will try to cross the river (they destroyed all the bridges for).
    While I like to believe this is true, if its so compelling strategically why didnt they pull back much sooner and stem those 200/day losses?
    I'm guessing to harden the defences of Lysychansk.

    Now of course, they can go south and come around it.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  14. #21594
    Banned Movember 2011Movember 2012
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    That said, it seems there is a lot less video of RUS air force being posted these days (not sure thats an indication or not?).
    Pilots are flat-out refusing to fly over Ukrainian territory. They fly and launch missiles from Russian airspace or the Black Sea.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  15. #21595
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,440
    Logistics is still the king of the battlefield and once the bridges were destroyed and Ukraine had to supply via inflatable boat holding Severodonetsk no longer made sense. Now to advance the Russians will have to supply across the river without bridges and we saw what happened last time they attempted pontoon bridges.

    Ukraine needs to slow the Russians to stop Russia taking the whole of the Donbas as that might encourage some of Ukraine's backers to pullout to focus on domestic problems. If the leaders of the EU and the US were smart they'd do the opposite - pouring huge amounts of aid into Ukraine now - because the issues caused by the war like energy and food security will continue until the war ends and then for years beyond that.

    It is also the best thing for Russia. Being decisively defeated on the battlefield would weaken and maybe bring down Putin. Then perhaps the Russian population can get over their desire for dwarf hardmen to rule them like a violent step-daddy and instead give democracy another try. Putin gaining anything from the war will not only cement totalitarianism in Russia but will encourage the Chinese to have ago.

    When your enemy is banking on you being morally weak you'd better not be morally weak.

  16. #21596
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    perhaps the Russian population can get over their desire for dwarf hardmen to rule them like a violent step-daddy and instead give democracy another try. Putin gaining anything from the war will not only cement totalitarianism in Russia but will encourage the Chinese to have ago.
    1. So what colour would you like your dragon to be?
    2. Pretty much, yep. And will bring us closer to total annihilation because Taiwan is going to be a complete shit show. All invaders' and potential invaders' eyes are on the west atm to see how much liberties they can take in the future, depending on how horribly this is curbstomped now we may or may not have a future
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  17. #21597
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Battles in cities are meatgrinders for both sides. Stalingrad caused some 700k Axis casualties (killed, wounded, captured), a million for the Soviets. Yet it broke the Axis' back, not the Soviets'.
    Relative sizes of population made that possible. USSR was more than twice the size of Germany back then. UKR is 1/3 the size of Russia.


    

  18. #21598

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    6,027
    Obese Russian general, 67, called up to fight in Ukraine as Putin 'scrapes the barrel'

    https://nypost.com/2022/06/26/obese-...kraine-report/


  19. #21599
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Obese Russian general, 67, called up to fight in Ukraine as Putin 'scrapes the barrel'

    https://nypost.com/2022/06/26/obese-...kraine-report/

    Reddit comments for it were gold. Along the lines of "It's official, they're trying to starve Ukraine with this weapon of mass destruction" etc, it went on for hours.

  20. #21600
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,936
    Oh god, found the Reddit thread, I'm dying here.

    Link for the curious.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •