hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1038 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 385389389881028103510361037103810391040104110481088 ... LastLast
Results 20,741 to 20,760 of 21941

Thread: Ukraine: Russian Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Only if 'human nature' (as if it's a universal constant) led to the same people being rewarded by any system that existed, which is clearly not the case unless you want to totally ignore any environmental and cultural differences between human societies.
    Can you provide some examples of societies where the A-type, "Sociopaths and other ambitious political-networking workaholics" as Lall puts it, do not rise to the top of the social order?

I presume you mean tribal or nomadic type societies primarily, but are there any industrial/post-industrial, modern societies where this would apply?
    The only way to avoid it is a sort of comedy system where the leadership is done exclusively by people who dont want to be leaders.
    If only the universe was as witty and amusing as Douglas Adams made it out to be.
    Or even as optimistic as Cixin Liu claimed.

You think the people on the top of the tree in capitalism wouldnt be the ones with the private dachas and plumb committee positions under communism? Sociopaths and other ambitious political-networking workaholics will rise to the top in any system because they focus all their energy on doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    You seem to have an incredibly one dimensional view of successful people lol
    I personally know people that were pretty serious party officials, counter intelligence Stasi officers etc. during the GDR. They did very well after the Reunification and switching to jobs in large multinational corporations. They didn't even hide their previous jobs.

Ambitious people will do whatever it takes to be successful. You can only get certain jobs if you join the party? They join the party and toe the line. Party affiliation is no longer useful? They drop that like hot coals and adjust to the new situation.

We had that situation in Germany quite a few times the last one hundred years. It happens all the time. The absolute top head honchos may lose their heads, but that's it.
    nevar forget

Usurpers are far less common than you apparently think.

An ancient method, somewhat close to Lallante's comedy method, is the system in Athenian democracy where offices were drawn by lot. In a modern system, this method would become: assign a job to a random person from a pool of credentialed people.

But really, why bother? Capitalism is the best.
    Last edited by August; April 7 2022 at 05:37:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Or even as optimistic as Cixin Liu claimed.
    I might have to finish that series then, because the first book was anything but.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    As the Russians redeploy south and east there is no reason why the Ukrainian forces near Kyiv and in the north cannot also be redeployed to face them. It will come down to the will to fight and which army breaks first.

Plus given the atrocities we have seen in the Russian occupied areas the idea that Ukraine would allow them to take any more land seems unlikely.

Maybe Russia keeps the Crimea and the bits of Dombas it controlled before the war started but Ukraine probably realises that it is now or never to get that land back.

For the west crushing Russia via sanctions and providing Ukraine with the weapons needed to fight is far cheaper than dealing with an aggressive and expansionist Russia going forwards.

Plus you have to take China into the calculation because they'll be weighing up what happens to determine if or when they make a move against Taiwan for example.
    Actually there are some reasons. One, many of those units have been absolutely pummeled, with massive equipment losses and almost certainly suffering severely degraded morale. Two, Russian logistics weren't great before Ukraine started killing every truck and fuel wagon they could find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Pro-Russian activists in Greece decided to run their Putin-loving motorcade through a local neighborhood in Athens.
    They missed the fact that it was inhabited by the Georgian community. It did not go down well.

Should we sanction Greece for lack of free speech?

looks like an extra ration of free speech to me.

Russian losses are now significant..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61033173

Looks like about 19k of their soldiers have now died, fuck knows how many injured. The Russian army has hopefully been hobbled - looking at the conscripts/reserves coming through hopefully the will to fight will be minimal at best.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin Desal View Post

Looks like about 19k of their soldiers have now died, fuck knows how many injured. The Russian army has hopefully been hobbled - looking at the conscripts/reserves coming through hopefully the will to fight will be minimal at best.

To put this in context, in 8 years of Vietnam, the US only lost 3 times this many troops.

Mr Peskov, who has served as Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesperson since 2000, also claimed that Russia is searching for ways to end the war.
    Have they tried, you know, removing their troops from Ukraine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

While Russia searching for a way to end the war, they stick to what they do best:
    30 dead civilians and 100 injured after fired rockets at railroad station in Kramatorsk.

Looks like about 19k of their soldiers have now died, fuck knows how many injured.
    Well, going by this data for the U.S. in modern conflicts it's a somewhere between 10:1 - 17:1 injured:killed ratio.

I'm pretty sure we can't find reliable Russian numbers for modern conflicts like Georgia, Chechnya or even Afghanistan. But even with a conservative estimation of a 7:1 ratio, that'll be somewhere around ~ 50k to 100k wounded (going by the western estimates of 7k to 15k KIA).

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    While Russia searching for a way to end the war, they stick to what they do best:
    30 dead civilians and 100 injured after fired rockets at railroad station in Kramatorsk.
    There is tragically enough a chance it was "friendly fire". Too early and I'm absolutely guessing but apparently it was written "for the children" on one of the rockets, which is seems unlikely for Russia to write vs Ukraine given russian attack on the building which had children written in front of it (and of course the many, many other children killed by them).

Either way its fuckin horrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    There is tragically enough a chance it was "friendly fire". Too early and I'm absolutely guessing but apparently it was written "for the children" on one of the rockets, which is seems unlikely for Russia to write vs Ukraine given russian attack on the building which had children written in front of it (and of course the many, many other children killed by them).

It translates closer to "on behalf of the children", and there's a common slogan in Russian occupied Donbas "on behalf of the children of Donbas" so I'm guessing it was that

BTW, what the hell has happened to iEarlGrey?

His WoWS/WG rants were amusing and sometimes even insightful. But he has become a full Russian propaganda troll in the past couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

It translates closer to "on behalf of the children", and there's a common slogan in Russian occupied Donbas "on behalf of the children of Donbas" so I'm guessing it was that
    ah, did not know that. Still thats some proper fucked up thing to put on any armament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Ukraine: Definitely Non-Chernobyl Touching [SPOILER THE NASTY]

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa View Post
    ah, did not know that. Still thats some proper fucked up thing to put on any armament.
    Welcome to Russia, there's many good reason the Russian army are dubbed Orcs these days, sadly. The sooner that country is put in an airtight box, the better.

The term "Orcs" is getting a lot of pushback from social media admins, presumably due to it being dehumanising. I personally think its kinda shitty but funny, not worth getting all adminny over.