hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1097 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 9759799710471087109410951096109710981099110011071147 ... LastLast
Results 21,921 to 21,940 of 23251

Thread: Ukraine: Russian Invasion

Letters from Russian soldiers about their situation in "special military operation" against Ukraine.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/08...y-want-to-live

"His parents have this document, but they don’t want to hand it over to try to find their son among the prisoners or wounded. They’re happy with the money they get as compensation."

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Letters from Russian soldiers about their situation in "special military operation" against Ukraine.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/08...y-want-to-live

"His parents have this document, but they don’t want to hand it over to try to find their son among the prisoners or wounded. They’re happy with the money they get as compensation."
    Free Lada is a good deal, da?

It's going to be a pretty fucking rough winter in Russia for most of the people. Maybe they don't feel like they can afford expensive questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Read that in the occupied DNR/LPR there is yet another levy for 8000 men between 18 and 60.
    I'm happy these folks get to fight for their belief that Russian servitude is so much better.
    And when Kiev start taking back territory, all these Nova Rossiyans can take their Russian passports with them when they cross over to Rostov or Smolensk or Omsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Read that in the occupied DNR/LPR there is yet another levy for 8000 men between 18 and 60.
    I'm happy these folks get to fight for their belief that Russian servitude is so much better.
    And when Kiev start taking back territory, all these Nova Rossiyans can take their Russian passports with them when they cross over to Rostov or Smolensk or Omsk.
    It's not that. There are quite literally press gangs, as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressment, runing around there. Best thing to hope for is they have a chance and mental fortitude to surrender to Ukrainian forces whenever opportunity arises. Otherwise you can see why it's so hard to gain territory in russian occupation zones. Ukraine contrary to russia actually cares about civilian population etc which effectively ties their hands. Hence the wide adoption of hitting military depots and ammo stockpiles without anything resembling assault, while hoping it will force them to retreat. Paradoxically russia counts on winter as a catalyst but in reality, considering logistical prowess shown so far from their side, it's going to be the opposite. At a cost of civilian population still there dying to starvation and cold. But that is the price developed world is asking them to pay, which could all have been avoided. But there are too many people governing a lot of oligarch/russian money with huge influences, or downright govt positions. So it's gonna go down the hard way, with freezing children etc. Best we can do is hold people like that accountable once it ends. Or migrate to some remote part of the world if it goes tits up as humanitarian values civilized world boasts to uphold will be done for, because relatively few politicians couldn't think about not getting that sweet russian fossil fuel deals.

And then there are investment banks and hedge funds. Where a billionaire hedge fund has 12 clients, all anonymous, and XX billion usd AUM, with history of flights of their private jets towards russian border increasing rapidly (thx flightradar). Pretty much everyone at some point and to some extent is guilty of sucking on the russian tit. Results are unfortunately catching up. Green and renewables will make a fortune once the scarcity will catch up and rise of coal/oil/gas will subside. This is not a financial advice. Altough I have a strong urge to ask Lallante about investment in his business.
    Last edited by rufuske; August 12 2022 at 11:59:25 PM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's going to be a pretty fucking rough winter in Russia for most of the people. Maybe they don't feel like they can afford expensive questions.
    Is it the questions that are expensive, or the answers?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Whole bunch of Wagner group mercenaries got wiped out. It seems that the Syrians are employed by Wagner and used as canon fodder. They also seemed poorly trained and armed.

Par for the course really. Unless you're an Ethnic Russian your life is worth f all.

I sure am happy I'm not a poor sucker from Yakutsk or wherever.

"stalinium"

Ka-52 Alligator (NATO reporting name: Hokum B) is one of Russia’s most advanced helicopters. But, according to the same analysis, its armor can be penetrated with 7.62mm caliber bullets. The same type of ammunition is used in many general-purpose rifles. Theoretically, however, its protective layers should be able to effectively resist 12.7mm bullets.

Another example, the Tornado-U military truck, or BMD-4M amphibious infantry fighting vehicle, are both supposed to have an ‘enhanced’ armor protection. But, according to Ukrainian Defense Ministry, it is no match even for conventional small arms.
    https://www.technology.org/2022/08/1...-simple-rifle/
    Last edited by VARRAKK; August 13 2022 at 01:48:06 PM.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

"valyrian rubber"

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    They should try giant springs to bounce the rounds away

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    They should try giant springs to bounce the rounds away
    Disclosure of state secrets. - 2000 social score!
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    "The situation is close to Fukushima, there is no help from the world." Interview with the engineer of the Zaporizhzhya NPP

The Russian army has placed multiple rocket launchers and other military weapons and equipment on the territory of the Zaporizhzhya NPP. High-voltage transmission lines at the station have already been damaged by shelling. And this is a direct path to a nuclear accident, as experts explain.

If the last of them are destroyed, the cooling of the nuclear reactors will stop - and then either Russia can switch the ZNPP to its own power system, or a nuclear disaster can occur.
    This is literally a game of Russian roulette and Russia has drawn everyone living in Europe in as an unwilling participant by willfully and purposely endangering the integrity of the Zaporizhzhya NPP. If the European community and/or NATO doesn't act now, there is a serious and real risk of having another Chernobyl disaster to contend with

Two factors that might work in everyones favor here:

- Given typical wind direction W -> E, the occupied Crimea would suffer most from the resulting fallout.
    - Russia (and Ukraine) needs the power to keep their respective infrastructure running

Also: the Ukraine seem to do the sensible thing and not try to attack the weapons stationed nearby. The U.S. has put its diplomatic weight on the table and offered talks about a demilitarized zone around it. And Russia seem to have not outright denied these negotiations. Whatever that is worth ...

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    "The situation is close to Fukushima, there is no help from the world." Interview with the engineer of the Zaporizhzhya NPP

The Russian army has placed multiple rocket launchers and other military weapons and equipment on the territory of the Zaporizhzhya NPP. High-voltage transmission lines at the station have already been damaged by shelling. And this is a direct path to a nuclear accident, as experts explain.

If the last of them are destroyed, the cooling of the nuclear reactors will stop - and then either Russia can switch the ZNPP to its own power system, or a nuclear disaster can occur.
    This is literally a game of Russian roulette and Russia has drawn everyone living in Europe in as an unwilling participant by willfully and purposely endangering the integrity of the Zaporizhzhya NPP. If the European community and/or NATO doesn't act now, there is a serious and real risk of having another Chernobyl disaster to contend with
    Everyone said this about the other one north of Kyiv though, and nothing came of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

Everyone said this about the other one north of Kyiv though, and nothing came of it.
    I wouldn't be so confident in equating the two. Biggest factor at play here is how much some russian officer wants to fuck shit up just to vent his frustration at the current situation.

What's with "THE Ukraine" ? It's Ukraine.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    This is probably the smallest problem Ukraine is dealing with right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Putin's chief propagandist Solovyev says that EU failing to issue visas to Russians may cause Russia to commit "a preventative nuclear strike".
    What do they want in decadent-LGBT--liberal-fancy Europe?

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    This is probably the smallest problem Ukraine is dealing with right now.
    Pray, do tell me about it, I had no idea.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.