hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1146 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 14664610461096113611431144114511461147114811491156 ... LastLast
Results 22,901 to 22,920 of 23252

Thread: Ukraine: Russian Invasion

Russia desperately needs a win. And even more important, Wagner wants to be the one who brings in a win for Russia.
    Which is why they are pushing so hard for Bakhmut.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

More careless smoking at Russian airfields?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63857451

RU pov: UA UAVs flying at a low altitude in the Ryazan and Saratov regions were intercepted by AA, the RU MoD reported. As a result of the Ukrainian UAVs' wreckage falling and exploding on Russian airfields, the hull plating of two planes was slightly damaged
    So, a large drone flew deep into Russia, unbothered by all the advanced AA and was only intercepted at the last second, where it managed to actually damage a couple planes? Lol
    I guess you can't have it both:

RIA Novosti quoted the Russian air defense commander as saying, “if at the initial stage the Russian air defense forces did not understand what the HIMARS MLRS missiles were, then after the firmware of the new program, they became a “normal target.”

“We freely see, observe and destroy without problems,” he added. He said that the unit under his command had been successful in shooting down roughly 10 HIMARS rockets, including four in the last month.

Alexei Podberezkin, the director of the Center for Military-Political Studies of MGIMO, told Sputnik radio, “In principle, even before the new software, 75-80 percent of the missiles that were launched by HIMARS systems were shot down, but not 100 percent.”

But the HIMARS missiles could now be shot down with near-perfect certainty thanks to more accurate calculations, he added. Meanwhile, Russia did not reveal when they updated the domestic air defense systems with this new software.

That last part is still interesting. Its not unlikely they have updated *some* defenses to do better. No idea how ruzz air systems work but given the enormous success himars have had them putting highest prio on being able to handle them isn’t unrealistic. Question still is of course how successful any update is and if one exists at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

One apparent problem is HIMARS are easy to confuse for other weapon systems, like GRAD rockets. HIMARS is faster at Mach 2.4 instead of the slightly slower, inaccurate GRAD rockets. I'm guessing this software update is based around quickly classifying them as HIMARS based on the speed differences. There is a fairly small window with a total flight time of 90 seconds to detect and engage HIMARS at it's maximum range. In that 90s you need to find that rocket and make sure yours can launch and reach that rocket within same time frame. Air defense is insanely complex. It is like hitting a bullet with another bullet.
    Seems like this software update forgot to include drone targeting which are now bombing airfields deep inside Russia: In Kursk, another drone attack on the airfield was reported, an oil storage tank on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    One apparent problem is HIMARS are easy to confuse for other weapon systems, like GRAD rockets. HIMARS is faster at Mach 2.4 instead of the slightly slower, inaccurate GRAD rockets. I'm guessing this software update is based around quickly classifying them as HIMARS based on the speed differences. There is a fairly small window with a total flight time of 90 seconds to detect and engage HIMARS at it's maximum range. In that 90s you need to find that rocket and make sure yours can launch and reach that rocket within same time frame. Air defense is insanely complex. It is like hitting a bullet with another bullet.
    Seems like this software update forgot to include drone targeting which are now bombing airfields deep inside Russia: In Kursk, another drone attack on the airfield was reported, an oil storage tank on fire.

Terminal speed of MACH 2.4 is also really fast for SPG AA, which would be cost efficient way to intercept. Imagine something like a Gepard that has a gun range of lets say 3km. Mach 2.4 means it travels those 3km in roughly 4 seconds. Give it a generous 10km radar detection range. Thats really not a whole lot of time to see, process and react. Higher power radars and missiles obvious fare better, but are also a lot more expensive and under threat of HARM.

And still so far despite claims of destroying over 100% of the himars launchers provided to ukraine and intercepting all rockets there has been zero evidence to back the claims.

Gepard is said to have 16km radar range, so 20ish seconds intercept window. Better be in the combat position.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Like this?

Fun fact: last 7 Gepard sent to Ukraine were saved from scrap list.

Yes yes, but lets assume its a normal air launched cruise missile chilling at mach 0.75sh (and is generally bigger) which gives the Gepard with the 16km(?) radar over 1 minute time in the same example.

SPAAGs on smaller, cheaper plattform could very well see a revival tho to keep drones off armored pushes and protect point targets as logistic hubs.

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas.

New updated German delivery list.

NEW 50 MRAP vehicles DINGO (before: 30)
    NEW 12 tank transporter tractor M1070 Oshkosh* (before: 10)

Military support to Ukraine in planning/in execution
    (dueto security concerns, the Federal Government abstains from providing details on transportation modalities and dates until after handover)

NEW 18 wheeled self-propelled howitzers RCH 155*
    NEW 80 Pick-up*
    NEW 100 anti-drone sensors and jammers* (before: 10)*
    NEW hangar tents*
    NEW load-handling trucks 8x6*

https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-...kraine-2054992

US military-industrial complex is about to just get started.

https://twitter.com/MIL_STD/status/1...htmode%3Dfalse

Any bets on when Ukraine's gonna be able to pay off their land-lease?

I'd say somewhere around 2142

Big bucks will come from reconstruction, G7 already split the cake.
    And giving the Russians a bloody nose is priceless.

Those RCH 155 are brand new, not even the Bundeswehr has any. Boxer chassis and remote controlled 155mm artillery gun turret.
    nevar forget

More goodies from Germoney

BERLIN, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Germany is to send two additional air defense systems to Ukraine of the type Skynex by Rheinmetall (RHMG.DE), the Handelsblatt daily reported on Friday, citing unnamed sources in Berlin.

The systems are to be delivered in early 2024, the report said.
    Slowly, Ukraine becomes the largest test field.

Russia really knows how to make and keep friends.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkrainianCo...e_strewn_with/

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Russia really knows how to make and keep friends.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkrainianCo...e_strewn_with/
    That was a very good speech. I approve.

HIMARS aftermath

Is that 1 or 2 barracks on fire in the last 24hrs? I cant figure out, mixed reports of hits with himars and a "regular fire". Also mixed how many casualties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.