hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1032 of 1082 FirstFirst ... 32532932982102210291030103110321033103410351042 ... LastLast
Results 20,621 to 20,640 of 21631

Thread: Ukraine: Russian Invasion

The Ukrainian parliament has approved a law with a list of rewards for Russian military equipment. Russian soldiers defecting to Ukraine with a warship or a jet can now claim up to $1 million. A tank or an artillery piece would be worth a $100,000 reward.
    Some didn't wait.
    Last edited by Candy Crush; April 2 2022 at 07:32:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    But that still has some serious implications, mostly for Russia I think. As it means their air defense is/was not working or Ukraine has found away to get by it undetected both in and out.
    Supposedly it was a couple helicopters flying low the whole way there and back, which a good air defense system should be able to pick up, but radar systems do struggle to differentiate aircraft from ground clutter. Many of the advances in radar tech over the last couple decades have been centered around how to focus a beam and only get a response from where you want it. Still, there are limits to resolution and a helicopter that's less than 50 feet from the ground is going to be tough to spot except by a Mk I eyeball.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    But that still has some serious implications, mostly for Russia I think. As it means their air defense is/was not working or Ukraine has found away to get by it undetected both in and out.
    Supposedly it was a couple helicopters flying low the whole way there and back, which a good air defense system should be able to pick up, but radar systems do struggle to differentiate aircraft from ground clutter. Many of the advances in radar tech over the last couple decades have been centered around how to focus a beam and only get a response from where you want it. Still, there are limits to resolution and a helicopter that's less than 50 feet from the ground is going to be tough to spot except by a Mk I eyeball.
    Agreed on all points. But it still showed a hole in the armor so to speak. Russia and seemingly most russians thinks itself superior of Ukraine and this is just one more thing that rattles that belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    Can't embed the tweet so w/e

Spoiler:
    https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/stat...62032354775044

do not post things like this without spoilers.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    It now has a twitter "graphic content" warning
    Fun fact, it doesn't for me.

Spoiler:
    Here's how it looks for me, it's not blurred, no warning, straight up dead body as the first frame.
      Spoiler:
    same for me. basically if the video or image has actual dead people or so on, please make best efforts to spoiler or mark your post as such please.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    As you stated english is not your first language, so I'll try to explain more plainly. Bare in mind red forest != entire exclusion zone. And in your posting you equate two with statements among the lines geiger counter goes off constantly, Chernobyl is not safe. Both of which are factually incorrect. To make it as simple as possible:
    Chernobyl exclusion zone = perfectly safe if you're not retarded, with exception of
    Red Forest = off limits, stay out of it, dangerous without protective equipment

There's nothing dreadful about my posting, it's just your brain trying to cope with the fact you simply are wrong, while I try to explain what the situations is in reality.
    So basically we agree but you insisted I was somehow wrong. I concede my posting may have implied the whole area is dangerous, but in fact I was truly referring to the Red Forest exclusively, and I apologise if I came across as rude.

Quote Originally Posted by indi View Post
    Read above, I was referring to the Red Forest exclusively in my first post then we got a bit side tracked

At the same time, personally I would not set foot in the entire exclusion zone, regardless on how safe people there tell me it is - and I admire your courage

A lot of reports of executed civilians left behind as russians retreat. Really reverting to full red army brutality

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    "These foxes will save us"

- Poor dumb chickens
    When the axe came into the woods, many of the trees said, "At least the handle is one of us."
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    As it means their air defense is/was not working or Ukraine has found away to get by it undetected both in and out.
    How hard would it be to grab a transponder from a downed Russian heli and add it to your own identical model heli?

Also, people imagine that air defense is like the Berlin Wall, setting off all kind of alarms when you cross the border. It doesn't work like that.
    Last edited by Nordstern; April 3 2022 at 03:55:21 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    A lot of reports of executed civilians left behind as russians retreat. Really reverting to full red army brutality
    It has cleared up just who are the Nazis in this war. People who display the Z symbol now are nailing their colours to the mast.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    It has cleared up just who are the Nazis in this war. People who display the Z symbol now are nailing their colours to the mast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    As it means their air defense is/was not working or Ukraine has found away to get by it undetected both in and out.
    How hard would it be to grab a transponder from a downed Russian heli and add it to your own identical model heli?

Also, people imagine that air defense is like the Berlin Wall, setting off all kind of alarms when you cross the border. It doesn't work like that.
    In a previous job one of my duties was to load IFF transponder codes into the aircraft. There are several different modes, but the ones that tend to matter in an active warzone change frequently and can only loaded when the aircraft is powered up prior to takeoff.

But then again I was part of a military organization that isn't pants on head incompetent. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not hard but could be an immensely stupid idea because that heli would then be targeted by Ukrainian air defense as enemy. There's a reason armies don't paint their tanks in enemy colors nor dress their soldiers in enemy uniforms etc.

Unless you like false flag operations, then it's cool.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    It's not hard but could be an immensely stupid idea because that heli would then be targeted by Ukrainian air defense as enemy. There's a reason armies don't paint their tanks in enemy colors nor dress their soldiers in enemy uniforms etc.

Unless you like false flag operations, then it's cool.
    Well what if the Ukrainians came up with some incredibly clever and complex scheme like eg: turning it off after they ran away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Air defence is supposed to shoot any military plane that doesn't emit a known FRIENDLY signal code. That's the important bit of IFF.

A military aircraft without a friendly IFF or with no IFF whatsoever would be a breach of some rule/law of warfare since you'd basically be disguising a military target as a civilian plane and I guess would get the spy treatment - to be considered hostile and shot down. Dunno what the air warfare version of Geneva Convention is called but it would be a major clusterfuck if caught doing it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_war

And according to the Red Cross:

In its chapter on “War crimes, individual criminal liability and command responsibility”, the manual states that “improperly using … the national flag or military insignia and uniform of the enemy” constitutes a war crime.

Using an enemy IFF would essentialy be the same thing, and turning IFF off and masquerading as a noncombatant would be similar in principle to using civilians as a human shield.
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; April 3 2022 at 05:43:09 PM.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Public Service Announcement: War is ugly and totes NSFW.

You're welcome.
    Killing hogtied, semi naked civilians and leaving the evidence to be photod is the sort of thing that leads to death penalties after the war FROM YOUR OWN SIDE in any civilised country. It's not something anyone should be blase about even if there are limited incidents like it in every war.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    Can't embed the tweet so w/e

Spoiler:
    https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/stat...62032354775044

do not post things like this without spoilers.
    That was haunting. What the fuck was wrong with their eyes/faces? Rats?

Air defence is supposed to shoot any military plane that doesn't emit a known FRIENDLY signal code. That's the important bit of IFF.

A military aircraft without a friendly IFF or with no IFF whatsoever would be a breach of some rule/law of warfare since you'd basically be disguising a military target as a civilian plane and I guess would get the spy treatment - to be considered hostile and shot down. Dunno what the air warfare version of Geneva Convention is called but it would be a major clusterfuck if caught doing it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_war

And according to the Red Cross:

In its chapter on “War crimes, individual criminal liability and command responsibility”, the manual states that “improperly using … the national flag or military insignia and uniform of the enemy” constitutes a war crime.

Using an enemy IFF would essentialy be the same thing, and turning IFF off and masquerading as a noncombatant would be similar in principle to using civilians as a human shield.
    This is going to blow your mind but how about turning the russian IFF off and turning their ukranian one back on?