hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1049 of 1082 FirstFirst ... 49549949999103910461047104810491050105110521059 ... LastLast
Results 20,961 to 20,980 of 21631

Thread: Ukraine: Russian Invasion

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Maybe they're both Nazis? At least the Azov regiment Nazis have a legitimate cause to fight.

Edit:

To quote the first sentence from this 2015 report from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...talion/6306242

"The first thing you notice as you walk through the corridors of the Azov battalion's base in Mariupol are the swastikas."
    Last edited by walrus; April 24 2022 at 11:52:46 AM.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Maybe they're both Nazis? At least the Azov regiment Nazis have a legitimate cause to fight.

Edit:

To quote the first sentence from this 2015 report from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...talion/6306242

"The first thing you notice as you walk through the corridors of the Azov battalion's base in Mariupol are the swastikas."

2015 is not equal to 2022 - weak attempt

But but Azov are the "real" Nazis.... The Russian ones are less bad or less of a problem so I am told.

An info graphic of the Russian neo nazi groups fighting in Ukraine
    Last edited by Candy Crush; April 24 2022 at 01:28:57 PM.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Hey, don't get me wrong, if there are Nazis on both sides, I'm totally rooting for the Ukrainian Nazis.

And I'm not claiming that there's lots of Nazis on the Ukrainian side, I just think the Azov regiment is of a dubious disposition, but that being said, perhaps it's their fanaticism that makes them as tough as they are, and why the Orcs are still carpet bombing Azovstal?

And to make it clear, I'm completely aware that there are plenty of Russian Nazis fighting in Ukraine.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    The Russians don't hate Azov because they're Nazis. They hate Azov because Azov has been one of Ukraine's most effective units since 2014.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Христос Воскресе !
    Hope you all had a good Easter.

I guess the "innocent uninformed" russian soldier are not getting paid anymore and look for different ways to get some money.

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-sol...cution-1700506

Not even demanding rubles.
    Last edited by Kilabi; April 25 2022 at 04:36:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post
    I guess the "innocent uninformed" russian soldier are not getting paid anymore and look for different ways to get some money.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...dier-3n5l5lrcj

If your going to link paywalled sites, copy in the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-sol...cution-1700506

If your going to link paywalled sites, copy in the text.
    Article wasn´t walle for me. Changed the link.

Transnistria, the sort of Soviet style breakaway Moldovan republic protected by Russian forces has seen some explosions near Russian military bases tonight.

nevar forget

I will leave this for Joe, it looks like Western Europe math education is really shit compared to post soviet states.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/u...ign=2022-04-21

Best part

Spoiler:

“Over there they teach like we taught up until 20 years ago,” wrote one teacher, while another who spent two months teaching in Ukraine said: “The text books are similar to those our parents used back in the 1940s.”

Apart from old-fashioned text books, the teacher said discipline in the classroom was key.

“There was silence in the classroom and the canteen and teachers were more respected by parents,” he wrote.

“Before leaving class, a student would ask the teacher if he or she had behaved well. The parent would be waiting outside. If the child had not followed the lesson or had disturbed other children they would be punished by the parent.”

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bzZwIHRgOWQ

Russian Su-34. Pilots lived.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    I will leave this for Joe, it looks like Western Europe math education is really shit compared to post soviet states.

Best part

Spoiler:

“Over there they teach like we taught up until 20 years ago,” wrote one teacher, while another who spent two months teaching in Ukraine said: “The text books are similar to those our parents used back in the 1940s.”

Apart from old-fashioned text books, the teacher said discipline in the classroom was key.

“There was silence in the classroom and the canteen and teachers were more respected by parents,” he wrote.

“Before leaving class, a student would ask the teacher if he or she had behaved well. The parent would be waiting outside. If the child had not followed the lesson or had disturbed other children they would be punished by the parent.”
    Could you quote the whole article, I hit a pay wall.

They are miles ahead in digital education compared to Germany, which isn't a surprise to anyone who knows a thing or two about the state of digitalization in Germany. The textbook thing is heavily subject dependent in Germany. Textbooks for math and English are top notch, German trailing behind a bit, everything else is shit.

Teachers not being respected is a massive issue in the West it seems. But what can you expect when a standard response to "I'm a teacher" is "those who can, do, those who can't, teach."
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

copy pasta

Spoiler:

Ukrainian school children fleeing their country and joining classrooms in Italy and France are dazzling their new teachers with their maths skills, prompting debate about the slipping standards in western European classrooms.

As part of a wave of five million refugees that have fled Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, 10,000 Ukranian children are now enrolled in French schools and 16,000 in Italian schools where they have shown, in general, that they are a year ahead of their peers in the same age group in maths.

“Ukrainian students are much more comfortable at doing mathematics than French students,” Pierre Priouret, a maths teacher from Toulouse, told French the news outlet BFMTV.com.

“All my secondary school colleagues who have Ukrainian students say they perform better,” he added.

A second French maths teacher, Marianne, said she had “rarely seen students who succeed so well,” adding that the Ukrainians were a year ahead in maths and able to pick up languages fast because they already spoke both Ukrainian and Russian.

“I met some who spoke better English than me,” she said.

The glowing reports from French teachers were noticed by the Italian educational site Orizzontescuola, which has received a barrage of similar comments from Italian teachers after posting them.

“We were inundated with posts from Italian teachers agreeing with their French counterparts that these kids are a year ahead,”Andrea Carlino, an employee of the site, said.

The Italians had some ideas about why the Ukrainians enjoy a better mastery of numbers.

Ukrainian school children fleeing their country and joining classrooms in Italy and France are dazzling their new teachers with their maths skills, prompting debate about the slipping standards in western European classrooms.

As part of a wave of five million refugees that have fled Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, 10,000 Ukranian children are now enrolled in French schools and 16,000 in Italian schools where they have shown, in general, that they are a year ahead of their peers in the same age group in maths.

“Ukrainian students are much more comfortable at doing mathematics than French students,” Pierre Priouret, a maths teacher from Toulouse, told French the news outlet BFMTV.com.

“All my secondary school colleagues who have Ukrainian students say they perform better,” he added.

A second French maths teacher, Marianne, said she had “rarely seen students who succeed so well,” adding that the Ukrainians were a year ahead in maths and able to pick up languages fast because they already spoke both Ukrainian and Russian.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I met some who spoke better English than me,” she said.

The glowing reports from French teachers were noticed by the Italian educational site Orizzontescuola, which has received a barrage of similar comments from Italian teachers after posting them.

“We were inundated with posts from Italian teachers agreeing with their French counterparts that these kids are a year ahead,”Andrea Carlino, an employee of the site, said.

The Italians had some ideas about why the Ukrainians enjoy a better mastery of numbers.

Rosamaria Lauricella, a headmistress in Rome who has worked with Ukrainian children, agreed that they were well behaved. “They really respect the rules, they are very disciplined, and this helps them learn,” she told The Times.

“I can see they are really good with numbers and quicker at using tablets and computers than our children.”

The impressions of teachers in Italy and France appear to be at odds with scores drawn up by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

In its most recent survey of achievement levels in schools around the world, conducted in in 2018, it gave Ukraine a 453 score in maths, lower than Italy’s 487 and France’s 495, and well below the 502 score achieved by the UK.

Roman Shyyan, a Ukrainian educational expert who has worked on reforming the country’s schools, agreed that maths lessons could be “tough” in Ukraine, however.

Children started regular maths lessons at the age of six and averaged four, 45-minute lessons a week, he said.

He added that during the one day a week set outside for teachers to drop the curriculum and work on integration and problem solving with children, teachers often wanted to insert an extra hour of maths.

“I fear children may be overloaded with maths,” he said.

In Italy, Andrea Carlino said that whatever the Ukrainians were doing in class, it was working.

“These children, who have arrived here because of a tragedy have shown us we have some catching up to do,” he said.

Teachers not being respected is a massive issue in the West it seems. But what can you expect when a standard response to "I'm a teacher" is "those who can, do, those who can't, teach."
    To be fair though, this (disrespect) unfortunately isn't restricted to teachers. Soldiers share the same fate (mainly due to our past), as does the police*), and of all things also emergency medics and firefighters. I mean ... those are there to help you! And you literally attack them?

*) One might argue there might be reasons to do so, because the police has structural problems which need to be fixed. But I don't think that applies to all of them. The few bad apples make the whole thing look rotten and the mold might have actually spread due to neglecting the problems for quite some time now. But still...

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    To be fair though, this (disrespect) unfortunately isn't restricted to teachers. Soldiers share the same fate (mainly due to our past), as does the police*), and of all things also emergency medics and firefighters. I mean ... those are there to help you! And you literally attack them?

*) One might argue there might be reasons to do so, because the police has structural problems which need to be fixed. But I don't think that applies to all of them. The few bad apples make the whole thing look rotten and the mold might have actually spread due to neglecting the problems for quite some time now. But still...
    Who and where hates firefighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post

Best part

Spoiler:

They are miles ahead in digital education compared to Germany, which isn't a surprise to anyone who knows a thing or two about the state of digitalization in Germany. The textbook thing is heavily subject dependent in Germany. Textbooks for math and English are top notch, German trailing behind a bit, everything else is shit.

I'm delighted that the Ukrainian students are doing well, but I want to push back on the common narrative that traditional education, at least in maths, was so much better that current approaches.

I'm 51, so was at primary school in England between 1976 and 1982. I now have two kids in primary school, also in England, with my eldest in the final year. I've been closely involved in helping them with maths homework - and schoolwork, during the pandemic. I'm really impressed with the approach they have been taught towards mathematics. I was taught in a traditional manner, drilled on times tables, shown how to do long division, introduced to fractions etc. By the end of primary school I was very good at calculations, I was fast and accurate even for big numbers. If my 11 year-old self took the same exams as my kids take, I would have got a better score.

But I think that they have a much better and richer understanding of maths. My kids see maths as a toolkit to solve problems. They are often taught alternative approaches to solve the same type of problem. If one way isn't working for them, they will try another. They can explain 'why' things work better that I could - I was simply taught one method for doing something, which I thought was the only correct method. If my 11 year-old self was asked to do something I hadn't been taught, I don't think I'd have got anywhere, but my kids would be able to try various approaches. They might not succeed, but being able and willing to try and fail is a vital skill.
    Last edited by duckduck; April 26 2022 at 09:39:24 AM.

Your kids are being given more valuable education for an computer age. You can't compete with computers at calculating but you can run circles around them in complex problem solving. As far as being able to tell fast real solutions of something like 1.2342x^3 + 563.345x^2 - 3.2342x + 3.14142 = 0 etc might be impressive to some and was (is?) a staple of any math olympics back in the day, this skill becomes a bit obsolete thanks to things like wolfram alpha and mathematica. Real knowledge is which tool in a toolkit to use to solve a problem efficiently and let computer do the mundane calculations.

Another brilliant approach to maths at my kids school is to deliberately sit the kids on mixed ability tables. And the make the more able kids explain stuff to the less able! This might seem like holding the better kids back, to make the less good feel OK, woke lefty shit. But actually, as I'm sure most of you have experienced, having to explain something to someone else vastly improves your understanding and mastery of the topic. The better kids don't race ahead to doing calculus at aged 11, but instead understand and can discuss primary school maths at an exceptional level.
    Last edited by duckduck; April 26 2022 at 10:15:12 AM.