hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Kickstarter Project: An EVE History Book

Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post
    The author ends the book saying he only had the resources for so much, and I think what he chose is definitely the most noteworthy bits. I really look forward to him writing more.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a bad book. It's a good book. Well-written, etc. See the second sentence of my post. I'm just saying it's a little too focused and comes off feeling thin. When you call your book "Empires of EVE" and include a map of the whole galaxy at the start of each section, you set an expectation. This book doesn't meet that. So I liked it, I'm glad I bought it and read it. But see the last sentence of my post.

So yeah, hopefully this will just end up being "Empires of EVE, Volume 1".
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    The author ends the book saying he only had the resources for so much, and I think what he chose is definitely the most noteworthy bits. I really look forward to him writing more.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a bad book. It's a good book. Well-written, etc. See the second sentence of my post. I'm just saying it's a little too focused and comes off feeling thin. When you call your book "Empires of EVE" and include a map of the whole galaxy at the start of each section, you set an expectation. This book doesn't meet that. So I liked it, I'm glad I bought it and read it. But see the last sentence of my post.

Gibbon went to 6 volumes.

Finished the book this morning. It's well-written, well-researched, well-organized but surprisingly... thin. Lots of stuff that I expected to be there wasn't, and there's a huge focus on the game's very early history. 90 pages are spent covering alpha/beta through early 2004, 90 more pages on 2004-2005, and the last 60 pages covers roughly and only very lightly on 2006 to early 2009. In particular, this last section is quite a disappointment after a fairly gripping opening three quarters. I learned more about the Great War era from Mittens's columns at TTH.

The focus is heavily swayed to the history of the wars between the Northern Coalition, BoB, and Goons. Of the three, BoB by far gets the most coverage. Four other alliances get fairly significant coverage, but only as targets to be crushed: Star Fraction, Ascendant Frontier, Lotka Volterra, and Mercenary Coalition. Russian alliances are mentioned only when they are allied with or at war with the top three (Groen says right in the narrative that it was difficult/impossible to get information from most of them). Other alliances are mentioned mostly when they contribute members to the top three (Masters of Ownage, Dusk and Dawn, and The Five, for example, get short side-bars). Pandemic Legion, IRON, Curse Alliance, and Xetic Federation are mentioned only in passing. Atlas Alliance, CVA, and Big Blue aren't mentioned at all, nor was Executive Outcomes that I can recall. In general, the more the alliance lived between Pure Blind and Delve between 2004 and 2006, the more likely it is to be mentioned. The more an alliance lived between Delve and Scalding Pass, the less likely it is to be mentioned.

When Band of Brothers ends, so does the book. In that way, you could credibly call the book the History of Band of Brothers rather than any attempt to tell the story of the history of EVE, even the history of early EVE. There's only a very tiny epilogue.

All in all, I'm glad I bought it and I glad I read it. I learned quite a few things. But I walked away hoping for a lot more.
    I mentioned my fear of this happening in page 3 iirc when i heared he did long interviews with Lallante and Molle.

I hope he does a part 2. Eve after BoB.

Stil to get the e-book tho, been slacking.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

I think his big issue is just finding people who will talk. He had a section about how he couldn't write much about Stain and Curse because there was no one who would talk to him.

I think his big issue is just finding people who will talk. He had a section about how he couldn't write much about Stain and Curse because there was no one who would talk to him.
    Is this surprising? The concept of a history book is difficult for Russians to grasp since they've grown up in a culture where just about every major historical event is revised multiple times for various motivations.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Got the kindle version, pretty good coverage of RKK who i've rejoined after 11? years. Shame he didn't contact me so i could tell my story on how i started BoB v0v

I caved and ordered the hardcopy via Amazon.com.

Used a company called Shipito who provided me with a US mailing address. They then sent it on to me.

I paid for the book and shipping to shipito with Amazon (like $60 total) and then about $40 shipping with DHL. So yeah effectively doubled my costs, but to support the author in this way it had to be done.

If you are outside of the US and want a hardcopy this way was pretty painless.

I read that this book covers even some of the beta. Just curious, does it mention Krath Imperium?

Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    I read that this book covers even some of the beta. Just curious, does it mention Krath Imperium?
    The parts on beta are only a few pages and focuses on Evolution and Taggart Transdimensional, and not a word about TTI's RP feuds with Endless Corp. It was only details relevant to the Venal War.

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar

I read this in Trump's voice.