hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101718192021 LastLast

Thread: EVE: Legion

I'm just amazed that no one leaked this during the 5 month build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    Believe me when i say that CCP were repeatedly, clearly and strongly advised not to announce it like that, and that they were told exactly what would happen if they did.

By the time FF rolled around Hans and the rest of the CPM were pretty much in the "fuck it, we tried, now let's watch these idiots faceplant" zone.

One of the most amusing parts of FF was me personally - knowing what I know - being told by CCP Sabrewing that "The CPM is still a young institution and has a long way still to grow before it gets to he same level as the CSM".

Hans was standing right next to me when he said that.

The CPM summit is due any day now. Should be fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Believe me when i say that CCP were repeatedly, clearly and strongly advised not to announce it like that, and that they were told exactly what would happen if they did.

By the time FF rolled around Hans and the rest of the CPM were pretty much in the "fuck it, we tried, now let's watch these idiots faceplant" zone.

One of the most amusing parts of FF was me personally - knowing what I know - being told by CCP Sabrewing that "The CPM is still a young institution and has a long way still to grow before it gets to he same level as the CSM".

:fearless:

Counsel of plebeian management

Most of the growing the CSM did was to actually be embraced, and be listened to, by CCP
    Quote Originally Posted by CCP Cmdr Wang on patchnote feedback
    Is your brain so awesome that you can look into the future?
    Make isk with PI
    The Great Tracking Nerf v0.1
    My fav ECM alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Mike deVoid View Post

Most of the growing the CSM did was to actually be embraced, and be listened to, by CCP
    That's a nice way of saying "CCP Reykjavik repeatedly smashed their own mouths in with size 15 steel capped boots until eventually it dawned upon them that maybe they should start taking some advice on communication".

A lesson that CCP Shanghai have decided to learn as slowly, painfully and independently as possible.

afaik, this was a picture shown at fanfest:
      Spoiler:

showing a mock-up of some kind of combined client launch page.

so the process is like, log in, select character, select what game you wish to play with that character.
    All fair enough.

The thing is though, that afaik, two of those (Valkyrie and Legion) are/will be free-to-play. But of course, EVE is not.

rabble rabble rabble, eve going free to play, microtransactions, gold ammo, EA is the Serpent in the garden of eden that gave EVE the apple from the tree of knowledge, end of the world, rabble rabble rabble.

But seriously now, when they do integrate Valkyrie and Legion like this, has there been any talk of adding more character slots to an account ?

What happens to your EVE skillpoints and clone costs when you die playing Legion ?
    Will there be any effect on clone cost when a character trains any Legion or Valkyrie skills ?

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    I imagine that the answers are:

"Eve" only appears if you log in originally with an active paid account.

and

The link will be much more "cosmetic" (that is, what happens to your character in one world effectively doesn't change what happens in the others) but it "looks continuous" by allowing a single launcher login.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by KathDougans View Post
      Spoiler:

so the process is like, log in, select character, select what game you wish to play with that character.
    All fair enough.

The thing is though, that afaik, two of those (Valkyrie and Legion) are/will be free-to-play. But of course, EVE is not.

rabble rabble rabble, eve going free to play, microtransactions, gold ammo, EA is the Serpent in the garden of eden that gave EVE the apple from the tree of knowledge, end of the world, rabble rabble rabble.

But seriously now, when they do integrate Valkyrie and Legion like this, has there been any talk of adding more character slots to an account ?

What happens to your EVE skillpoints and clone costs when you die playing Legion ?
    Will there be any effect on clone cost when a character trains any Legion or Valkyrie skills ?
    I wouldn't read too much into something that will never happen. That mockup might as well be a painting for all the significance it has to any forseeable future.

Ah well I had fun beta testing, will pwn eve nubs in legion with my stash of manly man tanks

Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post
      Spoiler:

All fair enough.

I wouldn't read too much into something that will never happen. That mockup might as well be a painting for all the significance it has to any forseeable future.
    This. Theres also the problem that such a combined login screen is actually a pointless idea (exactly like the current eve launcher). Having the same name across all 3 games is good, this login method is not.

Such a login screen would replace the eve launcher at which point your login process becomes start triple-game launcher, login, select character, select game, wait for game to launch and be logged in. This offers no benefit over simply double clicking the correct shortcut on your desktop, logging in, selecting character and playing. The shared game launcher actually requires an extra step over the regular login method.

What i would much rather see is the creation of master accounts that all your eve accounts can be attached to. In this case you can login into the launcher with your master account and select any eve character from any of your accounts at which point a client starts that automatically logs into the correct regular account and selects the character you've picked. This would actually be a step up instead of a step sideways as it removes the need to login again every time you want to switch to an alt or start your second/third/etc account.

Master accounts of course can easily tie into the other 3 games as well as those games are linked to your regular accounts. The launcher would simply add the option to select a game and then select any of your characters to log into that game with. This would be an improvement because now you can one click start any of the three games with any character you own.

What people want is to be able to fly to a planet in Eve, then land and fight as a merc in Dust without switching programs. A unified launcher will not do this - it was just a pointless PR gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
      Spoiler:

All fair enough.

This. Theres also the problem that such a combined login screen is actually a pointless idea (exactly like the current eve launcher). Having the same name across all 3 games is good, this login method is not.

Such a login screen would replace the eve launcher at which point your login process becomes start triple-game launcher, login, select character, select game, wait for game to launch and be logged in. This offers no benefit over simply double clicking the correct shortcut on your desktop, logging in, selecting character and playing. The shared game launcher actually requires an extra step over the regular login method.

What i would much rather see is the creation of master accounts that all your eve accounts can be attached to. In this case you can login into the launcher with your master account and select any eve character from any of your accounts at which point a client starts that automatically logs into the correct regular account and selects the character you've picked. This would actually be a step up instead of a step sideways as it removes the need to login again every time you want to switch to an alt or start your second/third/etc account.

Master accounts of course can easily tie into the other 3 games as well as those games are linked to your regular accounts. The launcher would simply add the option to select a game and then select any of your characters to log into that game with. This would be an improvement because now you can one click start any of the three games with any character you own.
    Would support this.

Tappin dat talk

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    The only reason Legion isn't completely replacing Dust right now is because CCP realised so late in the day that the latter was stillborn. Legion has after all only been in development for 6 months.

If they had it ready to go now, on UE4, Dust would be depreciated overnight. As it is they need Dust to keep paying the bills to finance Legion anyway, and it's not as if they can replace Dust with Legion in their "three games, one war" advertising because it's vapourware at this point.

Rest assured as soon as Legion is released and has decent subscriber numbers Dust will be switched off. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to maintain both IPs and dilute the "Eve FPS experience".

I have a feeling that CCP thought people would welcome the Legion news, even Dusties, hence why it was announced completely po-faced at their keynote, and why they've had to frantically backtrack and promise migration paths etc to placate the angry mob.

Tangentially related but 6 months development of Legion coincides with when CCP relieved Mintchip and some other Dust community guy, possibly others, of their jobs...
    So in a few months back.

Guess what I just used my CSM time machine for the very last time in order to do?

Guess what I just used my CSM time machine for the very last time in order to do?
    To be the very first to post dickbutt in local?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

To be the very first to post dickbutt in local?
    Shit no more charges left

Donor
    Earth and Beyond had transitioning from space to ground (albeit not an FPS, more like just running around like in WoW) back in 2004 or whenever it came out.

Full integration of UE4 within Eve so you could seamlessly land on planets and do the Legion stuff, or fight in space just outside the exosphere in Valkyrie would be pretty damn awesome. Neither UE4 nor Cryengine support Python though, so it's a big ask to realise that dream.

(Not to mention that people would moan their fucking arses off if they had to download/preload assets for games they didn't want to play)

Earth and Beyond had transitioning from space to ground (albeit not an FPS, more like just running around like in WoW) back in 2004 or whenever it came out.
    Did E&B have terrestrial gameplay? I thought the avatar stuff was only on stations.

Did E&B have terrestrial gameplay? I thought the avatar stuff was only on stations.
    Yeah, IIRC the out-of-ship gameplay was just walking around talking to questgivers and shopping at trade kiosks, not really its own sub-game. There was some "terrestrial" gameplay in that I think you could fly around in your ship in-atmosphere on some planets, but that's not really what you're asking about :P