hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: The Non-shit Ukraine thread

  1. #61
    Donor TheManFromDelmonte's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,712
    Right now all the west can do by ending sanctions is increase the speed capital leaves russia. opec could end it if they wanted but they seem intent on lowering the price even more.
    Last edited by TheManFromDelmonte; December 28 2014 at 08:11:12 AM.

  2. #62
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,135
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte View Post
    Right now all the west can do by ending sanctions is increase the speed capital leaves russia. opec could end it if they wanted but they seem intent on lowering the price even more.
    What about the sanctions is actually keeping money inside Russia?

    They're making the business climate more difficult and affecting confidence, which reduces investment. I don't think they're helping anything over there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  3. #63
    Sacul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    5,960
    In a not so strange twist it seems, according to dutch media, Holland is pushing very hard to get matters in the UKR cleared enough so that commercial aircraft can resume flights over that airspace. Offcourse commercial reasons in flight paths are the major concern aka it costs to much money to divert traffic towards asia.

    There are also, in Holland, hearings going on with our various intel organizations. Major question being why was a commercial plane (malasyian MH17 got shot down) allowed to fly over a war zone and why werent there any protocols made for war zones (seems its left to to the company itself if they are EU, rules are very deifferent for USA carriers).

    Media is spinning it a bit as a 'this was bound to happen eventually' story. (which imo isnt the case).

  4. #64
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    19,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post

    What about the sanctions is actually keeping money inside Russia?

    They're making the business climate more difficult and affecting confidence, which reduces investment. I don't think they're helping anything over there.
    I think more people would if it was legal.

  5. #65
    FourFiftyFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    W Space
    Posts
    851
    Is Russia worried about being economically incapable of keeping pace with Chinese military development? I would be if I were them.

    LS6

  6. #66
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    10,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    What about the sanctions is actually keeping money inside Russia?
    I think that was some kind of attempt at a 'In Soviet Russia, sanctions keep money in Russia'... or something.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  7. #67
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    19,464
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Are you approving of the way that lesson is being taught? Do you actually think it has a positive effect on Russia's intervention depth in Ukraine?
    I don't think you do.

  8. #68
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland, OOS
    Posts
    25,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    What about the sanctions is actually keeping money inside Russia?
    I think that was some kind of attempt at a 'In Soviet Russia, sanctions keep money in Russia'... or something.
    People have been warned every now and again, including by Putin in direct form, about possible sanctions in case shit gets real ever since 080808 so yeah.

  9. #69
    Neoo Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27, 2011
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    In a not so strange twist it seems, according to dutch media, Holland is pushing very hard to get matters in the UKR cleared enough so that commercial aircraft can resume flights over that airspace. Offcourse commercial reasons in flight paths are the major concern aka it costs to much money to divert traffic towards asia.

    There are also, in Holland, hearings going on with our various intel organizations. Major question being why was a commercial plane (malasyian MH17 got shot down) allowed to fly over a war zone and why werent there any protocols made for war zones (seems its left to to the company itself if they are EU, rules are very deifferent for USA carriers).

    Media is spinning it a bit as a 'this was bound to happen eventually' story. (which imo isnt the case).
    It's bound to happen, and has happened multiple times in the past, that commercial airplanes flying over conflict areas or dangerous spots get shot down by accident.

    The ones off the top of my head was the U.S. Navy shooting down a liner in the Persian Gulf and the USSR a plane bound for Korea.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean...nes_Flight_007

    In my humble opinion, not only should companies self moderate where they fly their planes, but strict rules and agreements should be made and enforced preventing civilian planes from flying over conflict areas to prevent the greed of such companies to incentivize them into taking such risks. It is not the carrier's fault per se but it's sort of like going for a cruise in the ghetto and being surprised when you experience violence.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •