hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Non-shit Ukraine thread

He asked too pointed a question of the self-appointed mayor, if you watch dispatch 29.
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    This forum is pointless
    Fixed that for you.

A less shit discussion would be nice, but it takes more people to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Well, ignoring Razor has certainly fixed the other thread.

So further gas sanctions, and posturing. Does anyone think the NATO nations might actually commit forces if an actual invasion comes?

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"

I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

Ironically, Simon's release has given much more fuel to move against the separatists. Hostages and not targeting killings may finally push the military past the "we don't want to kill civilians" to "time to bust criminals and save hostages". Heard about the pro-Ukraine mayor that just got shot today on NPR. They also talked about english speakers being targeted as spies and to be "turned in" to separatist militias.

I can understand some wanting to become part of Russia again (grass is greener scenario) after having to deal with a corrupt government albeit helped along by Russia. But things are really starting to get scary. It's going to be interesting if a referendum ever does happen and whether international observers will ever be allowed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    I can understand some wanting to become part of Russia again (grass is greener scenario) after having to deal with a corrupt government albeit helped along by Russia. But things are really starting to get scary. It's going to be interesting if a referendum ever does happen and whether international observers will ever be allowed in.
    Or out, right? I mean, I don't recall the team that's being held having any updates.

I'm not sure what goalposts Ukraine's military has, aside from trying to recapture the government buildings and determine if there's Russian agents on their soil.

Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Or out, right? I mean, I don't recall the team that's being held having any updates.

I'm not sure what goalposts Ukraine's military has, aside from trying to recapture the government buildings and determine if there's Russian agents on their soil.
    Get paid; don't die; not be responsible for starting a civil war; not be responsible for given Russian grounds to invade.

In all seriousness, given the way things on the ground have developed it would be incredibly brave for the Ukrainian military to do anything. They've got nothing to gain and everything to lose; from their POV the sooner this is resolved without recourse to violence the better it is for them.

(Correct me if I'm a little outdated and their political masters have got them to be active).

Ironically, Simon's release has given much more fuel to move against the separatists. Hostages and not targeting killings may finally push the military past the "we don't want to kill civilians" to "time to bust criminals and save hostages". Heard about the pro-Ukraine mayor that just got shot today on NPR. They also talked about english speakers being targeted as spies and to be "turned in" to separatist militias.

It's been scary for individuals living there for a long time, imo. I'm pretty sure the locals have been afraid from the very start to stand out as opposing the interests of the bullies, who have been around longer than this and are now supported by even scarier people like the FSB. You can see it in the face of that 'mayor' who had Simon kidnapped. This guy isn't new, he's been there, he has friends there, and I think people are scared of that sort of thing. You don't oppose those guys. No referendum is meaningful in that situation.

Ukraine itself looks far too dysfunctional to organize anything. They have no communication, their men don't want to pick the wrong side in this mess either. They get mobbed by civilians who beat up their police. It ain't working, man.

Get paid; don't die; not be responsible for starting a civil war; not be responsible for given Russian grounds to invade.
    Well put.

There was a decent piece on the CBC about the information war Russia is running to convince the people there that Western ukraine is full of fascists who want to take away their rights. And we should all already know that Putin has been taking over all the Russian media. That sad part is that it clearly works.
    Last edited by Frug; April 29 2014 at 04:16:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Western Ukraine is being run by fascists, russia would be foolish to ignore this.

Would the USA do nothing to respond to a Russian funded coup in Mexico?
    Last edited by Tiny; May 3 2014 at 11:07:37 PM.

At last, a UK paper has grown some balls.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ia-john-pilger

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    commentisfree = Not the newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I am sorry (to post here) but most of this article is vast exaggeration when not borderline schizophrenic.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post

Fixed that for you.

A less shit discussion would be nice, but it takes more people to do that.
    Would be shit.

hello

noticed this got english captions

enjoy

xoxo

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    hello

noticed this got english captions

enjoy

xoxo
    I didn't think you could do worse than Fox News, I was wrong. Most of his points are debatable and presented in a fashion to be as inflammatory as possible. Serious question: is that representative of what the majority in Russia considers informed opinion? Because his constant button pushing is coming through very clear despite whatever's lost in translation, is it more eloquent in Russian? Because from where I'm sitting it looks/sounds like the video equivelent of one of those anti japanese propaganda posters from WWII depicting buck toothed Japanese with goblin like faces wearing tiny glasses.

“My idea is, by changing the law, to allow foreigners into state service, including government seats, or extend the list of persons the president can grant Ukrainian citizenship, through fast tracking,” Poroshenko said.
    http://www.kyivpost.com/content/kyiv...ns-373315.html

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Most of his points are debatable
    Debate away.
    Last edited by RazoR; November 29 2014 at 04:16:39 PM.

It seems cracks are showing on both sides, with noise of the coup in Luhansk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    It seems cracks are showing on both sides, with noise of the coup in Luhansk.
    Not really a coup, more like infighting. I hear Kozitsyn's cossacks were the first on the chopping block for having notoriously low act/talk ratio.
    Last edited by RazoR; November 30 2014 at 12:18:25 AM.