hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortnite

100 founders coins again, yay new upgrades

Same shitty founders-auto-sniper like last time pops out. Atleast I got some more weapons-evo-material out of it.

Reminds me of stuff like Skyforge where there's a pretty ok-ish game that theyve just dumped an insane number of hyper-skinnerbox layers over that are just unnecessarily complicated and totally void of actual gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerzi View Post
    Reminds me of stuff like Skyforge where there's a pretty ok-ish game that theyve just dumped an insane number of hyper-skinnerbox layers over that are just unnecessarily complicated and totally void of actual gameplay.
    It's thankfully a lot better thought out and less oppressive than that and balanced around people not having the super high end stuff for the most part, or so it seems.

It's strange honestly, everything about the model and the loot screams awful to me but in the end through a combination of enjoyable gameplay and regular rewards for just playing the game it doesn't feel bad.

Kind of like how Warframe is horrible in theory but it works out to be tons of fun for example.

(full disclosure, i didn't buy the game originally, got key off founder friend, only paid a bit later on when i thought i liked it enough and all it did really is to give more variety for the most part)
    Last edited by Isyel; July 31 2017 at 02:31:53 AM.

Mostly it is about realising what is different to normal games really.

Hero - sets skill build, health, shield
    Survivors - are like gear, all other stats
    Weapons - weapons as known
    Defenders - henchmen
    Gadgets - two bonus skills

Sent from my Metal using Tapatapatatalk

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I'm still enjoying the game but this review is spot on.

The core game is definitely fun at times....but the grind is ridiculous, the mechanics are labyrinthine and pointless. The amount of inventory management (with a very limited inventory) you have to do is literally comparable to the amount of time you spend actually fighting/exploring in game. There's literally dozens of "currencies" and collectables (which work like equipment but with much more complex mechanics and minigames) which are not interchangeable. The unskippable menu/pinata/victory/ etc. animations...after the 10th time: christ! after the 200th: FUCK OFFFFFF!

The crafting is terrible - there's like 50 different crafting ingredients all but the most basic of which you get solely through RNG activation of 1 in 4 different types of randomly generated loot container in the procedurally generated world - what's the fucking point of this level of complexity if its all gated behind RNG and therefore pointless (with certain limited exceptions (e.g. copper, coal) for the rarer resources it's not like you can go "ahh, I need crafting ingredient X, better go to Y and search for Z", you just have to blitz through hundreds of shitty things of the right category (e.g. machinery, organic, gold chests) and hope the RNG gods favour you???

The actual co-op exploration/tower defence game play is fun some of the time provided you ignore the minmaxing (and unfortunatly necessary for progression) strategy which is to spend as much time as physically possible grinding loot/resources before triggering the TD part.... but even the TD bit is mostly pointless because mazing doesnt work (mobs pretty much go in a straight line and smash through walls). Using traps is a complete waste of time except the occasional Storm Shield Defence if you dont have friends to help you.

How to fix this? Massive streamlining and simplification of loot and resources and currencies and mechanics and skill/research trees Make the traps better and monsters much harder but make mazing actually work. Allow people to repair their preferred guns. Kill many of the pointless minigames.

....But after 6 years in development I dont see it happening.

Verdict: If you havent bought it, dont. Consider a quick go when its finally released as FTP but honestly dont really bother.
    Last edited by Lallante; August 1 2017 at 10:36:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I'm not completely bored yet but this is spot on. The grind is ridiculous, the mechanics are labyrinthine and pointless. The amount of inventory management (with a very limited inventory) you have to do is literally comparable to the amount of time you spend actually fighting/exploring in game. There's literally dozens of "currencies" and collectables (which work like equipment but with much more complex mechanics and minigames) which are not interchangeable. The unskippable menu/pinata animations.... christ.

The crafting is terrible - there's like 50 different crafting ingredients all but the most basic of which you get solely through RNG - what's the fucking point??

The actual co-op exploration/tower defence game play is fun...ish. If you ignore the minmaxing strategy which is to spend as much time as physically possible grinding loot/resources before triggering the TD part.

How to fix this? Massive streamlining and simplification of loot and resources and currencies and mechanics. Make the traps better and monsters much harder but make mazing actually work. Allow people to repair guns. Kill many of the pointless minigames.

....But after 6 years in development I dont see it happening.

Verdict: If you havent bought it, dont. Consider a quick go when its finally released as FTP but honestly dont really bother.
    See the funny thing is, people keep crying for streamlining and simplification but the grind is what gives these games longevity. Without the grind just like in New mmos everyone leaves after a month.

People bitch and bitch and bitch and in the end what they want is exactly what they claim they hate.

The game works fine, it needs to explain itself better most of all as things can be pretty confusing and and yeah some things should change for convenience, but the endless systems upon systems and constant improvement design has to stay in some way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You could simply and streamline the mechanics - aiming to bring the time doing the TD portion of each map up to about 65% of the play time each player session on average (from the current ~10%) - without reducing the speed or incrementality of the progression.

I dont mind complexity, provided it isnt pointless. Half the minigames are a complete waste of time. Spending 30 minutes grinding something through sequential minigames which then, due to RNG, results in a reward you immediately scrap for XP is fucking Progress Quest!

Here's how it could work:

Using a Hero to explore, kill, build or do logistics earns XP for that Hero. All other forms of XP merged into single type which applies as currently.

Crafting resources reduced to the 3 common resources, 3 uncommon-but-spottable ones (e.g. motors from complex machines, resin from larger trees, Common ore from certain larger rocks), 3 rare-but-findable ones (e.g. copper, rare red flowers, batteries from certain machines) and the super-rare upgrades ones (raindrops, bottled lightening) you only get through special circumstances. All the rest can fuck off.

Recycling or retiring gives new generic XP and crafting resources.

Unlimited storage of crafting resources and structures and guns in home fort.

All structures can be disassembled again after being built. For non-defence maps all built fort stuff (or at least traps) gets refunded to the player that placed it at the end. All items can be repaired using the same recipe as the blueprint, or through merging other similar items in.

Creatures now follow maze but there are substantially more of them and they are harder. "Deploy defender" tiles replaced by "Deploy Squad" tiles which deploy one of your Defender Squads with the characters you put in it. All defenders have their own weapons and ammo and can be set to patrol or guard. If they die they are out for the rest of that level but thats it. Defenders earn XP for themselves just like heros.

Collectibles book no longer requires you to use XP to upgrade collectibles (what a dumb mechanic). Instead you "collect" more of the same thing to up its level.

Loot pinatas animations can be skipped (straight to summary screen from initial screen).

All skilltree and research nodes which just give straight +X to Core Stat are removed, but points can still be spent on those core stats as an alternative to progressing through the tree.

Massive XP benefits from doing minigames like fuelling those bluetonium machines (which otherwise just give a pointless bonus you dont need).

Tower defense portion now starts automatically when you've explored 75% of the map or 10 minutes have elapsed - you get told where to deploy the thingy at this point and have 2 mins to do so or you auto-lose. There is a longer gap between waves (to explore in), and waves are more clearly delineated but are more aggressive and there are much more of them - aiming for 15 mins of TD gameplay at a minimum.

Ammo simplified into one or maybe two types.
    Last edited by Lallante; August 1 2017 at 11:10:28 AM.

Half of your stuff makes it more of a half asset tower defence game and makes me hate it with a passion. Once it gets harder it gets harder nicely and traps have a use, knowing how to build stuff is important. I like the fact it's not an actual tower defense game but smart building is rewarded, that's a bit I have absolutely no issues with.

I want it to stay a horde game with building as opposed to tower defence mazes tyvm and I enjoy the shit out of exploring stuff in this so forced starts can go fuck themselves, no thanks.

Personally I enjoy the exploration part. They could just put more emphasis on group event rewards to make people do it.

I am also pretty sure the loot table is kinda broken. The few weapons that drop are mostly grey power 10 nearly broken pieces of crap. Even timed missions that show blue rewards hand out grey shit.

Same with expedition. Not really worth it. They should up the quality of pretty much all rewards across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Half of your stuff makes it more of a half asset tower defence game and makes me hate it with a passion. Once it gets harder it gets harder nicely and traps have a use, knowing how to build stuff is important. I like the fact it's not an actual tower defense game but smart building is rewarded, that's a bit I have absolutely no issues with.

I want it to stay a horde game with building as opposed to tower defence mazes tyvm and I enjoy the shit out of exploring stuff in this so forced starts can go fuck themselves, no thanks.

The "exploration" ceases to be enjoyable once you've seen every variant of the fairly content-shallow procedural generation a few dozen times. How far in are you?

I'm finishing up the second map now andTraps are still not needed except for home-base shield defence (approx 1 game in 10+) unless you are pathetically underlevelled or have terrible allies/friends.

PS: Kilabi - you are supposed to pay RL money for better loot.
    Last edited by Lallante; August 1 2017 at 01:35:53 PM.

The mechanics are there to make you feel like there is always something to do. Mats to gather, defenses to build, better upgrades to strive for. That they use RNG heavily for this is just because they don't want everybody to be on a level playing field. Make no mistake though, they are going to make mad bank on this game.

Even knowing all this, I still can't stop myself from playing this damn game.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

The "exploration" ceases to be enjoyable once you've seen every variant of the fairly content-shallow procedural generation a few dozen times. How far in are you?

I'm finishing up the second map now andTraps are still not needed except for home-base shield defence (approx 1 game in 10+) unless you are pathetically underlevelled or have terrible allies/friends.

I'm also close to the end of the second map. They aren't needed but they make life a lot easier and let you waste less rare resources on guns and stuff.

And it's not my fault you don't enjoy the exploration.

Also nice way of making yourself look right and at the same time fluffing yourself up about how amazing you are.

lmao

I gather that the traps + loot gameplay is designed so you can do stuff and it's fun doing it with rare level loot and by putting that little effort in you don't have to chase that amazing loot, but it still keeps you wanting it to make it more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post
    Personally I enjoy the exploration part. They could just put more emphasis on group event rewards to make people do it.

I am also pretty sure the loot table is kinda broken. The few weapons that drop are mostly grey power 10 nearly broken pieces of crap. Even timed missions that show blue rewards hand out grey shit.

Same with expedition. Not really worth it. They should up the quality of pretty much all rewards across the board.

Huh? You keep getting purple and legendaries off chests off of random events in the maps, sure they break but they make for a nice change.

Expeditions seem to be utter shit though yeah and need dire fixing.
    Last edited by Isyel; August 1 2017 at 02:23:25 PM.

Not expecting legendaries to drop every 2nd mission with some epics as fillers. But common strength 10s in a 28+ mission is just a joke. But tbh just play some games right now and got 3 level appropriate weapons in green quality. Perhaps they fixed something on their end or I was just lucky as fuck just now.

And paying for loot works short-term, so I guess they are milking everyone who already proved to shell out money for an EA game. I guess loot-tables and time-gates will get better with time and I really hope we reach warframe levels of F2Pability with the actual F2P release.

Not expecting legendaries to drop every 2nd mission with some epics as fillers. But common strength 10s in a 28+ mission is just a joke. But tbh just play some games right now and got 3 level appropriate weapons in green quality. Perhaps they fixed something on their end or I was just lucky as fuck just now.

And paying for loot works short-term, so I guess they are milking everyone who already proved to shell out money for an EA game. I guess loot-tables and time-gates will get better with time and I really hope we reach warframe levels of F2Pability with the actual F2P release.
    Warframe is hell if you dont put any money in it at all tbh. It just requires very little to make you comfortable. :P

That money does give you a lot more than in this to be fair.

That said i think this will be fine without paying, honestly i feel all youre doing by paying is make the game much easier for too long and less enjoyable at the start. ._. The odd life of a f2p game i guess.

At least devs seem to be fairly receptive to criticism so we'll see how it changes

I do hope they do NOT make it a 'mazes and traps' tower defence though, that can go piss right off.
    Last edited by Isyel; August 1 2017 at 05:33:23 PM.

The best description of this game yet:

A tonne of fairly shallow whale-hunting-p2w mobile games tied together to give the illusion of depth through breadth.

This review basically perfectly mirrors my earlier criticism:

http://www.pcgamer.com/after-5-years...fense-shooter/

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    100 founders coins again, yay new upgrades

Same shitty founders-auto-sniper like last time pops out. Atleast I got some more weapons-evo-material out of it.
    Yay i bought the last limited ep.

Game is still good. Monetisation is still shit. But I can now work with guns and traps I loot during missions and don't have to craft all the time.

Need either more free Lamas or less RNG on the drops to make the game good.

Game is still good. Monetisation is still shit. But I can now work with guns and traps I loot during missions and don't have to craft all the time.

Need either more free Lamas or less RNG on the drops to make the game good.

The RNG is just hideous. People were posting their hauls from the legendary llama earlier this week. Some people were getting awesome stuff. Some people were getting absolute garbage. One guy got three of the same legendary axe.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Legendary wards with critdmg were my favourites.