hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortnite

Fortnite

So apparently there wasn't a thread about this, has been on and off my radar ever since it has been announced in 2011.

Fortnite is described as a co-op sandbox survival game and is about exploration, scavenging gear, building fortified structures, and fighting waves of encroaching monsters. Players will work together to scavenge items they can use for building by day to build their fort, and by night defend it from the monsters. Building will be a core mechanic in the game, and there will be "a lot of loot" buried within. Players can build and edit each wall of their fort with a 3x3 grid, laydown stairs, roofs, and windows, sculpting them to suit a particular need.

After a long silence they have now announced they are going to go with a free to play model and you can sign up for the alpha:
    http://alpha.fortnite.com
    [~A place to talk about autism~]

"You can't alt tab from god"

Some actual footage

[~A place to talk about autism~]

"You can't alt tab from god"

Ah, the latest entry in the "Game X meets Game Y with Game Z's art style" indie scene. I see they're going free-to-play - bet the cash shop will be up and running asap. Surprised they're not going "early access" with it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

XenosisReaper
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Ah, the latest entry in the "Game X meets Game Y with Game Z's art style" indie scene. I see they're going free-to-play - bet the cash shop will be up and running asap. Surprised they're not going "early access" with it too.
    P much

This is just tower defense with some exploration, I've had flash games that did this since like fucking 2005.

Looks fun enough for me.

tempting. A little on the pricey side at the moment :P
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Welp, I caved. You would think that, after wasting cash on Planetside and MW:O (and we're just gonna pretend Star Citizen didn't happen), I would learn not to buy into paid early access, especially for games that are going to be f2p in the future.

But...

This looks awesome. So I did it. I'll be playing on Friday, most likely.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    tempting. A little on the pricey side at the moment :P
    It was not as bothersome as it might've been. Now on the anything weird .

It does seem to have a certain something to it, watching closely but not jumping yet with out a ton of positive hype.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    This looks quite good - only 4 classes of hero is a bit limited tho and I dont really understand the gamplay - how long does a game last? Is it 4 player coop? Is it persistant?

4 classes but different specs and random "feats" or passives or whatever they wanna call them. So two soldiers can still be kinda different overall.
    Non persistent missions that spawn for you and your team. Your gear and stuff is persistent tho.
    I only saw lower level missions so far but from 10-15min up to 1h solo missions I saw everything.

If you go out to explore every map to get maximum loot-chests and bonus objectives you can spend quite some time on every map by the looks of it.

I will play on sunday as I am leaving for vienna for the weekend. Hope they fixed servers and shit till then. Expecting release days shenanigans as always.

Available for preload now, NDA just dropped to a bunch of let's plays are showing up from the alpha. Open beta for anyone who bought in starts tomorrow.

gay as fuck

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post
    4 classes but different specs and random "feats" or passives or whatever they wanna call them. So two soldiers can still be kinda different overall.
    Non persistent missions that spawn for you and your team. Your gear and stuff is persistent tho.
    I only saw lower level missions so far but from 10-15min up to 1h solo missions I saw everything.

If you go out to explore every map to get maximum loot-chests and bonus objectives you can spend quite some time on every map by the looks of it.

I will play on sunday as I am leaving for vienna for the weekend. Hope they fixed servers and shit till then. Expecting release days shenanigans as always.
    So you can build an enormous fuck off fort but it only lasts for one mission of 15 mins to a couple of hours?

Surely no-one will bother then? Small square box each time.

edit: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...amings-clutter

YEP:

This looks great, but in my time so far there's been absolutely no reason to build anything like it.
    Last edited by Lallante; July 21 2017 at 02:57:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post

So you can build an enormous fuck off fort but it only lasts for one mission of 15 mins to a couple of hours?

Surely no-one will bother then? Small square box each time.

edit: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...amings-clutter

YEP:

This looks great, but in my time so far there's been absolutely no reason to build anything like it.
    You have a permanent base you have to build and defend as well.

Whether it's worth going all out like that is a different matter.

It's never worth going 'all out' like that in any game where you build stuff if all you're worried is efficiency to be fair.

But why does every game need to look like ugly old Team Fortress 2?

I've hated the cartoony designs ever since Blizzard started doing it to all of their games way back with Warcraft 3, and it has NOT become better with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post

I've hated the cartoony designs ever since Blizzard started doing it to all of their games way back with Warcraft 3, and it has NOT become better with age.
    People like it and it keeps a lot better than realistic styles.

I got a code for this, it's actually surprisingly fun, at least once you get over the sleep inducing early levels as they're way too easy. Ramps up a few hours in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I got a code for this, it's actually surprisingly fun, at least once you get over the sleep inducing early levels as they're way too easy. Ramps up a few hours in though.
    I guess I am not "people" then.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I guess I am not "people" then.
    Today we learn that not everyone likes the same thing, truly amazing man.