hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1555626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1332

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

  1. #1281
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    11,697
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Except the PC, as a platform, is largely dead too.
    Except Steam has more users than either PSN or Xbox Live.
    Both of those services have higher online concurrent user counts than Steam.
    It's not, they're measuring differently. Both PSN and Xbox Live give an "active" number of users (probably in the last month), Steam reports the number of users actually online at the same time. Articles I can find imply Steam overtook Xbox Live in 2013.

    That said all 3 aren't very forthcoming with their numbers, so it's all based on older reports and a bit of thumbsucking anyway. But according to Wikipedia PSN has 110 million users, Xbox Live has 55 million and Steam has 125 Million. Some of those numbers are from 2015...
    Yes, but nobody in the industry looks at total accounts because no one cares (in a business sense) about the guy who made a steam account in 2006 to dl HL2 and hasn't touched it since.

    So we have to try and get some like for like comparison from numbers that aren't necessarily comparable, so..

    I'll put it the way I see it: Steams revenue (while considerable), is not growing, whereas both the other services are reporting better than 15% growth.
    I thought noone knew Valve's revenue?


  2. #1282
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Except the PC, as a platform, is largely dead too.
    Except Steam has more users than either PSN or Xbox Live.
    Both of those services have higher online concurrent user counts than Steam.
    It's not, they're measuring differently. Both PSN and Xbox Live give an "active" number of users (probably in the last month), Steam reports the number of users actually online at the same time. Articles I can find imply Steam overtook Xbox Live in 2013.

    That said all 3 aren't very forthcoming with their numbers, so it's all based on older reports and a bit of thumbsucking anyway. But according to Wikipedia PSN has 110 million users, Xbox Live has 55 million and Steam has 125 Million. Some of those numbers are from 2015...
    Yes, but nobody in the industry looks at total accounts because no one cares (in a business sense) about the guy who made a steam account in 2006 to dl HL2 and hasn't touched it since.

    So we have to try and get some like for like comparison from numbers that aren't necessarily comparable, so..

    I'll put it the way I see it: Steams revenue (while considerable), is not growing, whereas both the other services are reporting better than 15% growth.
    I thought noone knew Valve's revenue?
    Its an estimation based on *Statistics* by steam spy, which to be fair, is about as much as anyone has on PSN or XBL as well. That said Riot are actually the ones shitting money, so...
    meh

  3. #1283
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    1,735
    Desktop pcs for entertainment died in 2001 with the release of the xbox.
    Everyone knows that, it's a simple scientific fact.


    Posted from my Wii.

  4. #1284

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,181
    Looks like Google are first off the mark. Google Glass is to be relaunched as Google Glass Enterprise Edition, the "hands free device for hands on workers". This is a clip-on, OEM AR device targeted at industrial use cases.

    I wouldn't mark much by its success or failure (Google are prodigiously bad at selling products to traditional enterprises), but it's where everyone will end up in the VR/AR market if they want to make any money.

  5. #1285
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    28,852
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Looks like Google are first off the mark. Google Glass is to be relaunched as Google Glass Enterprise Edition, the "hands free device for hands on workers". This is a clip-on, OEM AR device targeted at industrial use cases.

    I wouldn't mark much by its success or failure (Google are prodigiously bad at selling products to traditional enterprises), but it's where everyone will end up in the VR/AR market if they want to make any money.
    Interesting return for the Glass and probably the wiser route to take with it than aim for the consumer market.



  6. #1286

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,181
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.

  7. #1287
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    28,852
    It's the motivations of the bourgeoisie that terrify me comrade.



  8. #1288
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,398
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    meh

  9. #1289
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,799
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    If we have discovered a way to automate middle management out of a job then I take back everything I said. Long live VR.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  10. #1290
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    If we have discovered a way to automate middle management out of a job then I take back everything I said. Long live VR.
    In my experience, these would mostly be the easiest to replace. Some accountancy, some review of goals met of not. Process tracking and correction. Its just a bunch of heuristics that are well understood. Much easier than having to develop an actual robot worker, when we can just hire minimum wage meatbags for that.
    meh

  11. #1291

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    8,659
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    If we have discovered a way to automate middle management out of a job then I take back everything I said. Long live VR.
    In my experience, these would mostly be the easiest to replace. Some accountancy, some review of goals met of not. Process tracking and correction. Its just a bunch of heuristics that are well understood. Much easier than having to develop an actual robot worker, when we can just hire minimum wage meatbags for that.
    Pretty much agreed, a lot of that stuff can and will be easily automated. Easier than actual robot workers as you say.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  12. #1292
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    If we have discovered a way to automate middle management out of a job then I take back everything I said. Long live VR.
    In my experience, these would mostly be the easiest to replace. Some accountancy, some review of goals met of not. Process tracking and correction. Its just a bunch of heuristics that are well understood. Much easier than having to develop an actual robot worker, when we can just hire minimum wage meatbags for that.
    Don't worry, those'll get replaced too in the near future.

  13. #1293
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    7,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    If we have discovered a way to automate middle management out of a job then I take back everything I said. Long live VR.
    In my experience, these would mostly be the easiest to replace. Some accountancy, some review of goals met of not. Process tracking and correction. Its just a bunch of heuristics that are well understood. Much easier than having to develop an actual robot worker, when we can just hire minimum wage meatbags for that.
    Don't worry, those'll get replaced too in the near future.
    What are you going to do when your job is replaced by robots?


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  14. #1294
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    If we have discovered a way to automate middle management out of a job then I take back everything I said. Long live VR.
    In my experience, these would mostly be the easiest to replace. Some accountancy, some review of goals met of not. Process tracking and correction. Its just a bunch of heuristics that are well understood. Much easier than having to develop an actual robot worker, when we can just hire minimum wage meatbags for that.
    Don't worry, those'll get replaced too in the near future.
    What are you going to do when your job is replaced by robots?
    Adapt or die!

  15. #1295
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,054
    There's one more thing I noticed. So this weekend a friend of mine is coming over with an Oculus Rift Touch thingie.

    So I started looking which of my games are VR compatible. Turns out a lot of them have separate VR versions which come at the game's full price. Now, for the love of God, game devs aren't making this easy. Why the fuck should I sneeze up for the game again if I already have it in my library? Fuck this.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

  16. #1296
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    28,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    There's one more thing I noticed. So this weekend a friend of mine is coming over with an Oculus Rift Touch thingie.

    So I started looking which of my games are VR compatible. Turns out a lot of them have separate VR versions which come at the game's full price. Now, for the love of God, game devs aren't making this easy. Why the fuck should I sneeze up for the game again if I already have it in my library? Fuck this.
    Yeah that's bullshit. Which games are doing this?



  17. #1297
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,054
    Superhot, for example, £18.99. DOOM, £19.99. Serious Sam (all of them), £29.99 a pop. I could probably go on, but it's already BS.

    Kudos to Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars for not doing this.


    Luckily Alien Isolation only requires a few tweaks.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

  18. #1298
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Warehouse staff are now nothing but cheap, meat-based robot arms. The visor tells them where to go, the visor tells them what to pick up, the visor tells them where to put it, the visor administers punishment for disobedience.

    It's not automation you should be terrified of.
    Its not like most warehouse staff didn't do that before, just with some inefficient middle manager acting like the visor, inefficiently.
    If we have discovered a way to automate middle management out of a job then I take back everything I said. Long live VR.
    In my experience, these would mostly be the easiest to replace. Some accountancy, some review of goals met of not. Process tracking and correction. Its just a bunch of heuristics that are well understood. Much easier than having to develop an actual robot worker, when we can just hire minimum wage meatbags for that.
    Don't worry, those'll get replaced too in the near future.
    What are you going to do when your job is replaced by robots?
    Adapt or die!
    My job frequently gets automated, mostly by me.. I then move on to more important things like making sure my robots aren't trying to take over the world (or purge a companies email server).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  19. #1299

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    8,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    There's one more thing I noticed. So this weekend a friend of mine is coming over with an Oculus Rift Touch thingie.

    So I started looking which of my games are VR compatible. Turns out a lot of them have separate VR versions which come at the game's full price. Now, for the love of God, game devs aren't making this easy. Why the fuck should I sneeze up for the game again if I already have it in my library? Fuck this.
    Yeah that's bullshit. Which games are doing this?
    Mostly because the VR versions are entirely different games to the base version and required separate development? Different gameplay, different levels, different game.

    The games that don't require you to are ones where it naturally fits you'll notice.

  20. #1300
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    13,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

    What are you going to do when your job is replaced by robots?
    Emancipate the underclasses and crush the bourgeoisie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •