hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 135360616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1332

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And people here keep ignoring the existence of PS VR but at least they're the ones actually pushing towards making this more widespread and affordable, which is good for the health of the tech overall.
    We're mostly PC gamers in here and the PS VR is the least impressive hardware from a technical perspective. I agree it's doing it's job by making VR more approachable, but it's a follower, not a leader.
    It IS the market leader, however.
    It is, and its a pretty good example of why VR isn't going to 'suddenly get better'. As a unit its running on generally lower performance hardware than your average PC VR, has a lower resolution screen, worse sensors (is in its less accurate, not inaccurate, just less than the other 2) and generally agreed that its of a lower standard than both the Vive and the Rift. Almost everyone that has used and and also used a Vive or Rift say the Vive and Rift are better, and yet its still the best seller.. That says the market does not care about the quality or higher specs, it cares about the price. That doesnt mean that quality isn't important (it is) but it means that people aren't willing to pay more for a better experience, presumably because they don't put a very high value on that experience.

HTC and Facebook aren't stupid, they have seen this.. This is why the talk for the next generation has shifted from 'better quality, higher resolution' to 'price reduction, wireless'.. They are following the market.
    No, they knew this all along unless they're spectacularly stupid. Anyone with some sense, and a lot without sense (us pages back), knew VR was not going to fly at the current price, it is pretty much just an extreme enthusiast test paving the way for more. Yet some now are pretending that this unavoidable fact means it's a failure now.

And in the end you need both, a product that shows the high end capabilities of the concept, and one that shows people that maybe they won't have to sell their baby off for the awesome experience.
    Last edited by Isyel; July 17 2017 at 04:40:17 AM.

I'm not sure about VR, but does anybody remember PlayStation Move? For me it was the single greatest addition to my PS3 and I still get a great time out of it with my friends/gf dicking around in Just Dance or Sports Champions.

It's gone with PS4. Zip, nada. Why? Because the masses never adopted it in enough numbers to make the bureaucrats at Sony push for an upgraded implementation.

Doesn't make it bad tech. Doesn't make it unfun. It's just dead.

With VR it may be different. The PC platform is what makes it great in scalability and future tech will eliminate wires and weight and will make it smaller and more comfortable. Will it take off properly? Still doubtful, but I'm optimistic. Until then I honestly can't wait to try it out at a friend who recently got it for the massively reduced price ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Except the PC, as a platform, is largely dead too. Home-use, high-end PCs are a rounding error these days. Frankly if it wasn't for cryptocurrency and tensorflow I suspect nvidia would have gone the way of ATI by now.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Except the PC, as a platform, is largely dead too. Home-use, high-end PCs are a rounding error these days. Frankly if it wasn't for cryptocurrency and tensorflow I suspect nvidia would have gone the way of ATI by now.
    Bit of an exaggeration no? While generic PC boxes used by your average home user for typing stuff up and going online are declining in favour of various tablets and other portables, I don't see much to suggest the PC gaming crowd has been shrinking.

I wouldn't say it's shrinking, but it's not big and it's not growing. Even power users are holding on to their kit for longer, as practical advances have all but dried up in the last five years. The home gamer is the last preserve of the desktop form factor and that's a perishingly small market that isn't getting bigger.

ed: For example, the most popular amount of RAM in a PC running steam is 8GB. Hardly hypercapable dual screen 4k boxen.

I wouldn't say it's shrinking, but it's not big and it's not growing. Even power users are holding on to their kit for longer, as practical advances have all but dried up in the last five years. The home gamer is the last preserve of the desktop form factor and that's a perishingly small market that isn't getting bigger.
    Yeah I'd agree with that.

Corollary to that: smartphones have been responsible for more google searches than desktops, laptops and tablets combined for more than 2 years now. Google will, next year, officially downgrade desktop searches to second class citizens.

If it doesn't fit into the palm of your hand it's probably dead or dying.

There will always be room in my heart for the beloved desktop, though I can't think of anyone else I know IRL who still has a desktop

I've not owned a desktop since 2009. I've come close to pulling the trigger a few times, but 1-2 grand just to play half a dozen games a bit prettier? No ta.

I guess I'm old fashioned but surfing on a tablet or a phone, while convenient depending on where you are, is clunky and agonizing compared to my desktop. Hell, I don't even like surfing on laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    I guess I'm old fashioned but surfing on a tablet or a phone, while convenient depending on where you are, is clunky and agonizing compared to my desktop. Hell, I don't even like surfing on laptops.
    This, 100 times. I gave up after one year of using laptop only and bought myself nice desktop. And it's not only about surfing but mostly work. You could of course argue I can plug extra monitors to it, decent mouse and keyboard etc but let's be real here, at that point you end up with overpriced subpar desktop anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I'm not sure about VR, but does anybody remember PlayStation Move? For me it was the single greatest addition to my PS3 and I still get a great time out of it with my friends/gf dicking around in Just Dance or Sports Champions.

It's gone with PS4. Zip, nada. Why? Because the masses never adopted it in enough numbers to make the bureaucrats at Sony push for an upgraded implementation.

Doesn't make it bad tech. Doesn't make it unfun. It's just dead.

With VR it may be different. The PC platform is what makes it great in scalability and future tech will eliminate wires and weight and will make it smaller and more comfortable. Will it take off properly? Still doubtful, but I'm optimistic. Until then I honestly can't wait to try it out at a friend who recently got it for the massively reduced price ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know the playstation move vamera and controllers are used for the PS4 Vr stuff right?Its less dead than before. Reanimated?

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Developing countries are still a big untapped market, but based on what I've seen people here (in India) are much more likely to buy a good phone than a PC. Simply because a PC is out of the price range for a lot of people and don't want to spend money on getting a separate broadband line. I am also excluding tablets from something that they'd buy cos even a lot of tablets are close to what a really cheapo PC can be, price wise.

Hell, I work with an Analyst who went to IIT, and he was arguing with me that 4gb is more that what someone would need on a PC. There are 3 developers on my team and none of them own a PC at home. Never have, even when they were doing their engineering.

Corollary to that: smartphones have been responsible for more google searches than desktops, laptops and tablets combined for more than 2 years now. Google will, next year, officially downgrade desktop searches to second class citizens.

If it doesn't fit into the palm of your hand it's probably dead or dying.
    Not sure where you get that data tbh. See https://www.superdataresearch.com/ma...ear-in-review/. Mobile has taken the lead, but PC gaming is still a huge sector, as noted largely driven by F2P and MMOs. The desktop market has evolved from a rapid hardware cycle to long-lived builds. If anything, gaming is a big driver for the desktop market in general. Manufacturers like MSI have switched focus entirely to the gaming sector.

I can see market boundaries blurring over time, with the line between what you play at home sitting down (and has more power being non-mobile) vs what you take out with you on the commute/holiday being thinner and thinner. The Switch is probably the best example of that right now, trying to give you some of both and upscaling - or trying - when plugged into the TV.

Not sure why people keep saying "PC gaming is dead", it's a generalised statement that refuses to acknowledge that sectors evolve. Is it some need to justify why your old PC gaming days are gone personally?

India also has an active consumer market place smaller than Britain. It'll only become an untapped market when/if there's a middle class explosion similar to Chinas'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    India also has an active consumer market place smaller than Britain. It'll only become an untapped market when/if there's a middle class explosion similar to Chinas'.
    The Indian consumption rate has been growing exponentially for many many years now. If you think it's not an untapped market, you are very shortsighted.

I've not owned a desktop since 2009. I've come close to pulling the trigger a few times, but 1-2 grand just to play half a dozen games a bit prettier? No ta.
    Peasant. What use are all these tech robber-barron stock options unless you can master race it up in front of the plebs?
    meh

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Except the PC, as a platform, is largely dead too.
    Except Steam has more users than either PSN or Xbox Live.

Both of those services have higher online concurrent user counts than Steam.
    meh

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Both of those services have higher online concurrent user counts than Steam.
    It's not, they're measuring differently. Both PSN and Xbox Live give an "active" number of users (probably in the last month), Steam reports the number of users actually online at the same time. Articles I can find imply Steam overtook Xbox Live in 2013.

That said all 3 aren't very forthcoming with their numbers, so it's all based on older reports and a bit of thumbsucking anyway. But according to Wikipedia PSN has 110 million users, Xbox Live has 55 million and Steam has 125 Million. Some of those numbers are from 2015...