hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 115158596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1308

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

I love my Rift, period. For sims it is so good i literally hate playing them on a normal screen any more. Just cant lose that freedom and immersion you get.
    And my screen/gaming is normally in 4K, so even with that resolution drop i STILL only use the Rift.I also love it for a lot of non-game experience stuff. There's something pretty awesome about seeing things in VR that you wont ever get to see, like Mars, Everest, ancient Rome and so on

An individual seeing nothing of value in it for them is not the same as it offering nothing of value.

Now, does it offer enough of value to most people? Nope. But thats still a long way from "nothing".

TLDR....you can pry my VR off my gold, dead corpse bitches

(also, theres nothing as relaxing and calming as exploring in Elite in VR.....man, its so great).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    I love my Rift, period. For sims it is so good i literally hate playing them on a normal screen any more. Just cant lose that freedom and immersion you get.
    And my screen/gaming is normally in 4K, so even with that resolution drop i STILL only use the Rift.I also love it for a lot of non-game experience stuff. There's something pretty awesome about seeing things in VR that you wont ever get to see, like Mars, Everest, ancient Rome and so on

An individual seeing nothing of value in it for them is not the same as it offering nothing of value.

Now, does it offer enough of value to most people? Nope. But thats still a long way from "nothing".

(also, theres nothing as relaxing and calming as exploring in Elite in VR.....man, its so great).
    bought elite vr. spent 30 minutes failing the landing tutorial because the blue "land here AND this way" didnt render properly and i was attempting to land a few degrees in the wrong direction. INSTANT REFUND fuck this shit ive not got all day
    My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    All the R&D has built a platform the next 10 years of PC high end simming, and some other niche experiences will really be able to leverage to the great benefit of the community. That's definitely not nothing. The drone community probably also does in some ways, as the latency improvements really help out the FPV guys in that community too. I don't think the investors necessarily get the most immediate return, but the tech developed continues to improve and I'm pretty sure some novel uses will come.
    I really dont think any investors were expecting "immediate return". If they were, they certainly werent talking about it as if they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

bought elite vr. spent 30 minutes failing the landing tutorial because the blue "land here AND this way" didnt render properly and i was attempting to land a few degrees in the wrong direction. INSTANT REFUND fuck this shit ive not got all day
    Huh, ive not noticed that. Maybe because i'd already been playing it for way too many hours so landing was second nature by that point.

So far all these uses have been gaming.. 90% of the population could give no shits about gaming.

Is it going to die? Probably not.. It's it worth the money? For most the answer is no. It's there a multi billion dollar industry in it? Probably not..

And yes Facebook and others believed there was. That's why they were investing. Are Facebook even close to breaking even on the rift?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    So far all these uses have been gaming.. 90% of the population could give no shits about gaming.

Is it going to die? Probably not.. It's it worth the money? For most the answer is no. It's there a multi billion dollar industry in it? Probably not..

And yes Facebook and others believed there was. That's why they were investing. Are Facebook even close to breaking even on the rift?
    Nowhere near but I doubt they expected to be at this stage either. As people have alluded to above, they are probably more interested in the tech than the principle of a gaming VR headset.

Is anybody here even arguing that it'll be mainstream right now? I don't think they are. The argument was originally "it's dead", and then became "it has no value".
    It's certainly not mass market now, and potentially never will be (i still hold that AR will take that spot, with VR remaining a niche thing).

I MASSIVELY doubt that Facebook will ever break even on the Rift. But they have been quite clear since the start that they don't really care about that right now. I mean, it's not like they can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

I'm pretty sure at this point companies like facebook have so much surplus capital floating around they buy into pretty much anything simply because they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I do feel the argument for this is along the same lines as 3d TVs aren't dead and the industry never expected to make any money.

Sales of VR headsets and games are well below where they were expected to be. Pretty much anyone that wanted a vive or rift picked it up in the first few weeks. Since then sales globally have been recorded in the single digit hundreds a week.. Any other device that can only sell a few hundred units a week globally is an out and out failure. The wiiu was the laughing stock of the games industry and when it was canceled years after being introduced it was still selling a few thousand a week.

VR focused game companies are going broke after getting 80% market penetration. There isn't a big enough market to sell to.

VR is dead.

Live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

VR has some cool educational uses.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

3DTVs were supposed to replace every HDTV but didn't offer enough (or any) incremental benefit to persuade people to upgrade. VR is an entirely new medium. The comparisons are way off base. I'll say it again - we need to see how far they can iterate the tech in the next generation before we pass pronouncements on mainstream adoption. If Gen2 is a $300-400, double-4k, wireless and lightweight headset which a reasonable gaming PC can run two of simultaneously then that changes the game completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    3DTVs were supposed to replace every HDTV but didn't offer enough (or any) incremental benefit to persuade people to upgrade. VR is an entirely new medium. The comparisons are way off base. I'll say it again - we need to see how far they can iterate the tech in the next generation before we pass pronouncements on mainstream adoption. If Gen2 is a $300-400, double-4k, wireless and lightweight headset which a reasonable gaming PC can run two of simultaneously then that changes the game completely.
    VR is not entirely new at all mate. Just like 3D it has popped up several times over the years and each time has failed to have a major impact.

Both VR and 3D suffer from one major thing, single-person kit-based interaction. The requirement for additional kit, that is only useable by a single individual, is always going to put people off something.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    VR is not entirely new at all mate. Just like 3D it has popped up several times over the years and each time has failed to have a major impact.

Both VR and 3D suffer from one major thing, single-person kit-based interaction. The requirement for additional kit, that is only useable by a single individual, is always going to put people off something.
    The idea isnt new, the tech needed to implement it in a way that isn't utterly unpleasant absolutely is.

Just like how buying extra controllers for your console put people off playing. Is it really inconceivable that a console in 2020 can run 4 cheapish ($150) headsets at once for at-home multiplayer VR?

I tend to agree that the future of mainstream gaming VR is seated though. People are lazy.

Yeah spending 20 so I could sit next to my mates and play fifa is completely the same as spending 400 to play a racing sim which none of my mates play.

It's cheaper to go go-karting.

But a controller is useful for every game and often bundled in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Yeah spending 20 so I could sit next to my mates and play fifa is completely the same as spending 400 to play a racing sim which none of my mates play.

Yet significantly cheaper than buying a fighter jet or a warbird, not to mention a lower risk for injury in general than flying a combat plane.
    go away

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Yet significantly cheaper than buying a fighter jet or a warbird, not to mention a lower risk for injury in general than flying a combat plane.
    And how many people play combat sims? VR isn't going to make combat sims more popular than traditional pick up and play games. It's always going to be niche

I take it back. I said "nobody is arguing that it's going to become mainstream", but it appears that Lallante is.

I can't see it. As stated, i love my Rift (it even makes Mechwarrior Online fun!), but i'm NOT an average consumer. I'm a nerd with a large amount of disposable income, with a wife that is also a gamer so she "gets it", and doesn't mind me spending a few hours every so often dead to the outside world.

Thats a pretty nichce thing.

I take it back. I said "nobody is arguing that it's going to become mainstream", but it appears that Lallante is.

I can't see it. As stated, i love my Rift (it even makes Mechwarrior Online fun!), but i'm NOT an average consumer. I'm a nerd with a large amount of disposable income, with a wife that is also a gamer so she "gets it", and doesn't mind me spending a few hours every so often dead to the outside world.

MW:O supports vr? Since when?

I mean "maintstream" in the sense that mid-high end gaming PCs are "mainstream", not in the sense that mobile phones or even consoles are.