hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 105057585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1308

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I'm not sure anyone is rly saying that are they?
    Lal often likes to address the arguments of people who aren't actually participating in the discussion.

I think there's a word or a phrase for it.
    Made up people like Keckers:

I feel like VR never really progressed much past the 'cool gimmick' phase. It had about 6 months of hype and then seemed to crash harder than star citizen.
    or elmicker?

Dev shops churning out VR apps have been collapsing at a rate of knots. Taken with drastic cuts in the cost of hardware and it begins to paint a picture. Hardware sales have been sluggish at best, with unit sales in the low millions even on the most optimistic of estimates (i.e. including things like Gear VR). Software sales have been even worse. Given that you make money off the software, not the hardware, the market is going nowhere.

The hype cycle is over and now we're into commercial reality. There's simply not enough interest to maintain a mass market, and I'd put that down to there not being enough interesting applications. It's 3D TVs all over again.

I suspect in 12 months the market will be truly dead, or will have transformed to target pro applications only, with only one or two niche players left much as the drone market has.
    or Hoggbert?

i suspect it will turn into a dust gathering gimmick in a short while.

mate when you drag up comments from 10 pages ago...

mate when you drag up comments from 10 pages ago...
    AKA yesterday

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

AKA yesterday
    Aka bigger blobs win by default.

Lal often likes to address the arguments of people who aren't actually participating in the discussion.

I feel like VR never really progressed much past the 'cool gimmick' phase. It had about 6 months of hype and then seemed to crash harder than star citizen.
    or elmicker?

Dev shops churning out VR apps have been collapsing at a rate of knots. Taken with drastic cuts in the cost of hardware and it begins to paint a picture. Hardware sales have been sluggish at best, with unit sales in the low millions even on the most optimistic of estimates (i.e. including things like Gear VR). Software sales have been even worse. Given that you make money off the software, not the hardware, the market is going nowhere.

The hype cycle is over and now we're into commercial reality. There's simply not enough interest to maintain a mass market, and I'd put that down to there not being enough interesting applications. It's 3D TVs all over again.

I suspect in 12 months the market will be truly dead, or will have transformed to target pro applications only, with only one or two niche players left much as the drone market has.
    or Hoggbert?

I didnt say VR as a conecpt would be gathering dust, I said if i bought an oculus rift now, it would be a dust gathering shelf ornament in too short time to justify the costs.
    I'm holding out for Oculus Rift(or whatever else) The Next Generation.
    go away

Fair enough, 2 out of 3 aint bad tho

or elmicker?

or Hoggbert?

When there is a reason to actually buy VR beyond "hey this could be cool" with games that don't look like polygonal proof of concept trash I might hazard to have interest.

Fair enough, 2 out of 3 aint bad tho
    I pretty specifically referred to the market rather than the concept - I think it'll consolidate and refocus onto a small number of professionally focused use cases. That's a stark contrast to the mass market, gamer-centric model all of the vendors have adopted so far. Until we see a radical improvement in the technology to make it less unwieldy and antisocial that's all we'll see.

No guys it'll be as popular as the mobile phone...
    Literally no one was saying this.

Uh oh Lal - down to 1 in 3.

If I didn't know better I'd say you shot from the hip, then went back looking for posts that seemed to retroactively justify your "reply".
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

The main thing VR needs to not become irrelevant is some solid games. Then it at least has a chance for relatively wider adoption among dedicated gamers.

The weird thing with this price drop is it should have been timed with some decent high profile game releases so people would feel they had a reason to actually get it now at the reduced price.

Canadian prices unaffected by price drop.

Fuck.
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Uh oh Lal - down to 1 in 3.

If I didn't know better I'd say you shot from the hip, then went back looking for posts that seemed to retroactively justify your "reply".
    No I was literally reading that page when I wrote it, and its still 2 in 3. Market, idea, whatever.

No I was literally reading that page when I wrote it, and its still 2 in 3. Market, idea, whatever.
    Goalposts, moving, whatever. For someone who spends so much time railing on others for basic lack of comprehension you're doing it incredibly frequently yourself lately. Feeling alright?

I've no doubt VR will continue on in some form, it's just dead as a mass-market medium, and all the many, many billions of dollars thrown after it are for naught.

The main thing VR needs to not become irrelevant is some solid games. Then it at least has a chance for relatively wider adoption among dedicated gamers.

The weird thing with this price drop is it should have been timed with some decent high profile game releases so people would feel they had a reason to actually get it now at the reduced price.
    The far bigger problem is that the overall experience sucks. Resolution sucks, framerate sucks, space requirements suck, standing up for hours on end sucks, the sheer amount of cash required to get going sucks, and even then almost nobody has demonstrated a better experience than just using a screen. Produce a good application and it'll be hobbled by the shit experience. Fix the experience and it'll be meaningless because of the lack of good applications. It's a catch 22. The way you'd normally fix such a catch 22 is by sustained loss-leading investment. Unless we've seriously underestimated the belief Valve and Facebook have in VR for gaming that investment is all but over.

I think a lot of people were wildly optimistic about what they thought first-gen VR was going to be. As I recall a number of posters got it right - it'll be a niche product and won't break out of that this generation. I will admit to being slightly more optimistic than that.

At the moment it's a great product for sim enthusiasts and a decent party piece, not much more. Needs to have a better implementation of movement because Roomscale is a pain in the arse to set up and relies on having a fair amount of space free, and without Roomscale you're locked into sims/FPS forever.

The tech is still great and even if VR itself fails, the developments done on miniaturization/movement tracking will have been worthwhile imho.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

I'm not sure many of us disagreed with the "Gen 1 is for enthusiasts only" sentiment

AKA yesterday
    Aka bigger blobs win by default.
    /thread tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I'm not sure many of us disagreed with the "Gen 1 is for enthusiasts only" sentiment
    This isn't gen 1 though.. It's at least gen 3 and it's still got nothing of value.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    This isn't gen 1 though.. It's at least gen 3 and it's still got nothing of value.
    I haven't actually tried one (for example my wife did and loved it and she for sure ain't techy), but the sim crowd calls it life changing experience. That does not sound like nothing of value.
    Hiro Cor

All the R&D has built a platform the next 10 years of PC high end simming, and some other niche experiences will really be able to leverage to the great benefit of the community. That's definitely not nothing. The drone community probably also does in some ways, as the latency improvements really help out the FPV guys in that community too. I don't think the investors necessarily get the most immediate return, but the tech developed continues to improve and I'm pretty sure some novel uses will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Just because you don't see a value in it it doesn't mean there's nothing of value mate. For sims this shit is amazing by all accounts for example.