hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 94956575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1308

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    ??

The difference is, if you said to someone in say the mid 1990s, "would you like to be able to call anyone from anywhere and also have a small PC with internet in your pocket" virtually everyone would say "yeah if it worked"

IF you ask them "would you like to play computer games by be fully immersed in it with full 360 motion" most probably would go... meh.

VR has been done before, it failed then, dunno why you think it will now become as popular as the mobile phone (lol). It suffers the same problem that 3D has suffered its many incarnations as well, that you need some additonal object to put on your face to make it work. It lacks that innate accessibility all those other inventions you cite have.
    Actually most people said whats the internet and why would I need it on my brick of a phone, I can't see the point it making it even bigger and draining the battery faster..

Several things needed to get a lot better before phones were 'good'. His point is the VR of the future won't look anything like what we have now. It'll be small, work very well and won't be tethered by cables.. It will let you experience another world like you can only imagine now.. Maybe it will be something you at work so you can interact and communicate with your team from all over the world.. Who knows..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Actually most people said whats the internet and why would I need it on my brick of a phone, I can't see the point it making it even bigger and draining the battery faster..

Several things needed to get a lot better before phones were 'good'. His point is the VR of the future won't look anything like what we have now. It'll be small, work very well and won't be tethered by cables.. It will let you experience another world like you can only imagine now.. Maybe it will be something you at work so you can interact and communicate with your team from all over the world.. Who knows..
    Sounds hellish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Sounds hellish.
    I dunno.. Yelling at the stupid Indian techs never gets old.. Turning myself is to a 50ft devil and throwing virtual lava at them would be worth it

Yeah or I could just phone them...

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    That's too inconvenient and new-fangled. Telegraph them instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post

Don't sell yourself short, it wasn't a dumb comparison, Smuggo is being shortsighted.
    He would have to wear his glasses when putting on the VR headset then!
    My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

Yeah or I could just phone them...
    You've not taken your meds today have you.. You know we can tell right? You start to get all irrational and trolly..

Friends dont let friends be shitters.. Take your meds.

So as smuggo as smuggo has been today.. I agree with the spirit of what hes been saying.. Smartphones took off in the public eye because they offered something useful (and as someone that spent more than half their life without one, utterly fucking amazing). VR has no 'killer app' at the moment.. The mobile phone always had a killer app idea, it just needed to be developed.. There isnt really a nuggit of a killer app in VR.. Its 'just VR'..

Its a bit like smart watches.. I love mine for being a notification service for my phone, but they arent popular because there is no killer app (or even an idea on what that killer app might be). That was why they were all pushing to fitness tracking, because it was literally the only idea anyone could come up with that might have worked.. But that fad is dieing now.

So as smuggo as smuggo has been today.. I agree with the spirit of what hes been saying.. Smartphones took off in the public eye because they offered something useful (and as someone that spent more than half their life without one, utterly fucking amazing). VR has no 'killer app' at the moment.. The mobile phone always had a killer app idea, it just needed to be developed.. There isnt really a nuggit of a killer app in VR.. Its 'just VR'..

Its a bit like smart watches.. I love mine for being a notification service for my phone, but they arent popular because there is no killer app (or even an idea on what that killer app might be). That was why they were all pushing to fitness tracking, because it was literally the only idea anyone could come up with that might have worked.. But that fad is dieing now.
    For smart watches?

It's going to be a more effective implementations of what was tried with biometrics. Some of my colleagues already pay for shit by just swiping their wrist across it. Their smartwatch is configured for payment via their phone.

This type of identity sign-in isn't just limited to payments and it doesn't have the limitations of biometric scanners that ended up making them mostly impractical for day-to-day use. It's also quite difficult to steal, as you need both the phone and the watch and most newer watches auto-lock themselves as soon as they stop detecting your pulse.

Universal-single-sign-in is going to be the smartwatch killer app.

My current smartwatch doesn't contain the tech needed to do this

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    "VR is failing" is a bullshit made up narrative backed by zero hard evidence or numbers. We are exactly where VR companies 3-4 years predicted we would be at this point, if not better (PS VR mass adoption and low price was not predicted). Lets see what Gen2 brings before drawing any conclusions.

I mean most of you are saying "VR has failed because it doesnt appeal to me personally in its current incarnation". How is that evidence of anything? And if this is failure what would success have looked like? No-one was predicting even this level of uptake, let alone greater.

I'm not sure anyone is rly saying that are they?

If they can make a smart watch that looks nothing like a smart watch maybe they'll catch on.

They're they wrist-bound equivalent of belt pouches for phones.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

How long did it take lallante to say star citizen was failing?

If they can make a smart watch that looks nothing like a smart watch maybe they'll catch on.

They're they wrist-bound equivalent of belt pouches for phones.
    Yeah they are ugly as fuck and also i can just get my phone out so seem pointless.

Plus one day I would like to buy a really nice proper watch and I don't wanna wear two watches.

I'm not sure anyone is rly saying that are they?
    Lal often likes to address the arguments of people who aren't actually participating in the discussion.

I think there's a word or a phrase for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    "VR is failing" is a bullshit made up narrative backed by zero hard evidence or numbers. We are exactly where VR companies 3-4 years predicted we would be at this point, if not better (PS VR mass adoption and low price was not predicted). Lets see what Gen2 brings before drawing any conclusions.

I mean most of you are saying "VR has failed because it doesnt appeal to me personally in its current incarnation". How is that evidence of anything? And if this is failure what would success have looked like? No-one was predicting even this level of uptake, let alone greater.
    To be clear, I don't think VR is failing, just that it will never be more than a toy for enthusiasts while it requires peripherals and geekyness to set up.

It certainly won't become "everyone on the bus facebooking in VR" like ever.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

To be clear, I don't think VR is failing, just that it will never be more than a toy for enthusiasts while it requires peripherals and geekyness to set up.

Sadly, this. And i say that as a hardcore VR fan, who loves his setup. it's just not an "average person" day to day kind of thing.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    How long did it take lallante to say star citizen was failing?
    It's easy to spot a company or project that is failing. An idea is a completely different matter.

...and for the record it took me until the first major delays were announced, though I was nervous about feature creep long before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Sadly, this. And i say that as a hardcore VR fan, who loves his setup. it's just not an "average person" day to day kind of thing.
    Hmm, not sure about this.

I could also envision a future where VR is - for the amateurs - a nerdy toy that never really appeapls it to the masses. But that there might also be industries (medicine, construction, all R&D of physical products), where VR will be (or already is) a granted. I.e. think CAD + 360 view.