hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1331

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Sounds like my old TrackIR is still the way to go for the time being for sims then.

So its not quite as full on immersive as a 'proper' VR headset.. but it doesnt cost much.. doesnt need a hefty PC... and as it uses your monitor it also doesnt have shitty resolution issues.
    I don't want to be a VR shill because it certainly has a way to go.

But, having used them both....there is no similarity between playing a racer or sim with TrackIR, and playing in VR. You'd think there would be, because it's just "immersion", but that honestly doesn't begin to cover it.

Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.

(also the resolution honestly isnt a problem when you are playing).

What needs does VR address though? To have mass appeal a product has to address a need that can be easily identified by members of key demographics.

VR provides immersion, but it isn't addressing a 'need' by providing immersion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.
    This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.

As an aside (am in bed about to sleep, cannot into long post) I was hot for Google Glass and am sad it got shelved. Ultimately it didn't have a broad enough use case but I would have loved having one for tasks, especially as it would have grown to incorporate Assistant. I also think it had some misfortune in being unnecessarily politicised back when people were really freaking out about silicon valley gentrification - that was the final nail.

I was also hot for Project Ara and very sad the big G didn't go all-in on it because in the long term I think it could have been strongly pro-consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.
    Oh, i agree with people that say its not mass market. I doubt it ever will be.

I was just pointing out that it is honestly a totally different (and better) experience than just "TrackIR up close". which some people think of it as.

I was just pointing out that it is honestly a totally different (and better) experience than just "TrackIR up close". which some people think of it as.
    Well i will bow to your knowledge and experience with both entities.

Maybe I will pick up a headset when they are dirt cheap and give it a go.

Try one first if you get the chance, but it's honestly great IF you can drop the cash on one and not care.
    It's not something i would ever "aspire" to owning though...its just a really cool add on.

Try one first if you get the chance, but it's honestly great IF you can drop the cash on one and not care.
    It's not something i would ever "aspire" to owning though...its just a really cool add on.
    Basically this. Its incredible to try.
    My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

Yeah I have never doubted it is a good experience and I wasn't attempting to do so there either.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Basically this. Its incredible to try.
    That was my topkek of the day to play online. Yeah i also want this to be the defining characteristic of the republican nominee voter.

'Summer or Rift' price drop to 399 USD for six weeks with Touch included.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...99-with-touch/

A very smart man whom I respect immensely once said to me if you want your game to be successful, never require peripherals.

I think this probably holds true. I'm happy for the current VR R&D, because I think it's going to be excellent for sims and other things like driving games. Experiences where you are seated, and moving you head around controls your viewpoint as you ride your sim bicycle or whatever.

It's never really going to be that much bigger than the dudes who already buy warthogs and fake cockpits, because it kind of appeals to those same dudes. People sure are throwing a lot of R&D money into it though.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    A very smart man whom I respect immensely once said to me if you want your game to be successful, never require peripherals.

I think this probably holds true. I'm happy for the current VR R&D, because I think it's going to be excellent for sims and other things like driving games. Experiences where you are seated, and moving you head around controls your viewpoint as you ride your sim bicycle or whatever.

It's never really going to be that much bigger than the dudes who already buy warthogs and fake cockpits, because it kind of appeals to those same dudes. People sure are throwing a lot of R&D money into it though.
    I mostly agree, but i would add that i'm not a massive sim gamer, have never bought a Warthog of cockpit, and yet enjoy my VR headset enormously.

I think i'd personally rephrase your point to "it appeals to tech/gaming enthusiasts", rather than just sim ones. Still very much the niche end of the market though.

Personally, when it comes to mass appeal, i expect AR to be much bigger in the long run. It's so much more useful on a day to day level.

I mostly agree, but i would add that i'm not a massive sim gamer, have never bought a Warthog of cockpit, and yet enjoy my VR headset enormously.

I think i'd personally rephrase your point to "it appeals to tech/gaming enthusiasts", rather than just sim ones. Still very much the niche end of the market though.

Personally, when it comes to mass appeal, i expect AR to be much bigger in the long run. It's so much more useful on a day to day level.
    What I mean is that there will be some good stuff, but I think VRs longevity is in the enthusiast market, not the consumer market.

What I mean is that there will be some good stuff, but I think VRs longevity is in the enthusiast market, not the consumer market.
    Yep. Which is a problem, because the enthusiast market certainly can't cover the money firms are sinking into R&D.
    So either they have misjudged massively (unlikely for all of them), or they plan to use the tech/bits of it in more widespread situations later on and see a market that will develop, somehow.

Yep. Which is a problem, because the enthusiast market certainly can't cover the money firms are sinking into R&D.
    So either they have misjudged massively (unlikely for all of them), or they plan to use the tech/bits of it in more widespread situations later on and see a market that will develop, somehow.
    I think the people that started oculus and those who joined like Abrash and Carmack are probably realistic about it but Zuckerberg and the coat tail riders who came with him massively miscalculated, tbh.

No guys it'll be as popular as the mobile phone...

Maybe AR one day. I could potentially see that happening (but not until its a lot better than it currently is).

It was a dumb comparison. VR is an alternate interface, not a new tool in and of itself.

Hence me talking about mobile phone peripherals, rather than the phones themselves. In the long run I see it having a similar appeal/distribution as smart watches, once the tech is sufficiently minimised for people to always have it on without noticing.

I do love my smartwatch as it does make a number of things I do with my phone far more convenient and it will certainly continue to be developed and improved as a technology (I'm going to be upgrading shortly to do smart-payments through it), but I don't see it as a piece of core tech that everyone in the world is going to need.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    It was a dumb comparison. VR is an alternate interface, not a new tool in and of itself.

Hence me talking about mobile phone peripherals, rather than the phones themselves. In the long run I see it having a similar appeal/distribution as smart watches, once the tech is sufficiently minimised for people to always have it on without noticing.

I do love my smartwatch as it does make a number of things I do with my phone far more convenient and it will certainly continue to be developed and improved as a technology (I'm going to be upgrading shortly to do smart-payments through it), but I don't see it as a piece of core tech that everyone in the world is going to need.
    Don't sell yourself short, it wasn't a dumb comparison, Smuggo is being shortsighted.
    VR could be to monitors what smartphone is to feature phones, complete replacement. Don't get locked in to current implementation. Just because stuff is bulky and requires cables *now* doesn't mean it has to stay that way forever. Imagine if it would fit into something like close fit sunglasses and could mix input from forward facing camera(s) for augmented reality. It sure as hell does not sound impossible to me. The 3 mainstream devices that we have so far have significant improvements over each other, next generation will probably keep all of the good stuff and add their own. SteamVR already announced getting rid of the tether and at minimum the displays will improve.

Yes, for now it will be niche and sim people will benefit the most, but why wouldn't you play something like Civilization with it, if you could scroll the map by pulling around and whatnot?

Just think of all the other tech, from mobile phones, heck fucking TVs, computers, electric cars... All of them when they showed up were not for mass market, but they evolved. How did it go, there is no market for more than 5 computers?
    Hiro Cor