hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1331

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

  1. #1141

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Sounds like my old TrackIR is still the way to go for the time being for sims then.

    So its not quite as full on immersive as a 'proper' VR headset.. but it doesnt cost much.. doesnt need a hefty PC... and as it uses your monitor it also doesnt have shitty resolution issues.
    I don't want to be a VR shill because it certainly has a way to go.

    But, having used them both....there is no similarity between playing a racer or sim with TrackIR, and playing in VR. You'd think there would be, because it's just "immersion", but that honestly doesn't begin to cover it.

    Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.

    (also the resolution honestly isnt a problem when you are playing).

  2. #1142
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    12,803
    What needs does VR address though? To have mass appeal a product has to address a need that can be easily identified by members of key demographics.

    VR provides immersion, but it isn't addressing a 'need' by providing immersion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  3. #1143
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    27,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

    Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.
    This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

    But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.

  4. #1144
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    8,596
    As an aside (am in bed about to sleep, cannot into long post) I was hot for Google Glass and am sad it got shelved. Ultimately it didn't have a broad enough use case but I would have loved having one for tasks, especially as it would have grown to incorporate Assistant. I also think it had some misfortune in being unnecessarily politicised back when people were really freaking out about silicon valley gentrification - that was the final nail.

    I was also hot for Project Ara and very sad the big G didn't go all-in on it because in the long term I think it could have been strongly pro-consumer.

  5. #1145

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

    Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.
    This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

    But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.
    Oh, i agree with people that say its not mass market. I doubt it ever will be.

    I was just pointing out that it is honestly a totally different (and better) experience than just "TrackIR up close". which some people think of it as.

  6. #1146
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

    Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.
    This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

    But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.
    Oh, i agree with people that say its not mass market. I doubt it ever will be.

    I was just pointing out that it is honestly a totally different (and better) experience than just "TrackIR up close". which some people think of it as.
    Well i will bow to your knowledge and experience with both entities.

    Maybe I will pick up a headset when they are dirt cheap and give it a go.

  7. #1147

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

    Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.
    This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

    But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.
    Oh, i agree with people that say its not mass market. I doubt it ever will be.

    I was just pointing out that it is honestly a totally different (and better) experience than just "TrackIR up close". which some people think of it as.
    Well i will bow to your knowledge and experience with both entities.

    Maybe I will pick up a headset when they are dirt cheap and give it a go.
    Try one first if you get the chance, but it's honestly great IF you can drop the cash on one and not care.
    It's not something i would ever "aspire" to owning though...its just a really cool add on.

  8. #1148
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Anatidae Rising
    Posts
    11,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

    Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.
    This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

    But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.
    Oh, i agree with people that say its not mass market. I doubt it ever will be.

    I was just pointing out that it is honestly a totally different (and better) experience than just "TrackIR up close". which some people think of it as.
    Well i will bow to your knowledge and experience with both entities.

    Maybe I will pick up a headset when they are dirt cheap and give it a go.
    Try one first if you get the chance, but it's honestly great IF you can drop the cash on one and not care.
    It's not something i would ever "aspire" to owning though...its just a really cool add on.
    Basically this. Its incredible to try.
    My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

  9. #1149
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    27,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

    Problem is that you can't really convey that without experiencing it, which i think is major issue the VR firms have.
    This is exactly what I'm getting at. TV, radio, even the internet, you can see someone else use it and instantly understand the benefit and just benefit from it yourself.

    But VR, like 3D, means you need all the kit and gotta put something and so on, people just won't do it and thus won't be exposed to it and therefore it will never gain mass market appeal.
    Oh, i agree with people that say its not mass market. I doubt it ever will be.

    I was just pointing out that it is honestly a totally different (and better) experience than just "TrackIR up close". which some people think of it as.
    Yeah I have never doubted it is a good experience and I wasn't attempting to do so there either.

  10. #1150
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    20,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

    Basically this. Its incredible to try.
    That was my topkek of the day to play online. Yeah i also want this to be the defining characteristic of the republican nominee voter.

  11. #1151
    DerWish's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,267
    'Summer or Rift' price drop to 399 USD for six weeks with Touch included.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...99-with-touch/

  12. #1152
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,790
    A very smart man whom I respect immensely once said to me if you want your game to be successful, never require peripherals.

    I think this probably holds true. I'm happy for the current VR R&D, because I think it's going to be excellent for sims and other things like driving games. Experiences where you are seated, and moving you head around controls your viewpoint as you ride your sim bicycle or whatever.

    It's never really going to be that much bigger than the dudes who already buy warthogs and fake cockpits, because it kind of appeals to those same dudes. People sure are throwing a lot of R&D money into it though.

  13. #1153

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    A very smart man whom I respect immensely once said to me if you want your game to be successful, never require peripherals.

    I think this probably holds true. I'm happy for the current VR R&D, because I think it's going to be excellent for sims and other things like driving games. Experiences where you are seated, and moving you head around controls your viewpoint as you ride your sim bicycle or whatever.

    It's never really going to be that much bigger than the dudes who already buy warthogs and fake cockpits, because it kind of appeals to those same dudes. People sure are throwing a lot of R&D money into it though.
    I mostly agree, but i would add that i'm not a massive sim gamer, have never bought a Warthog of cockpit, and yet enjoy my VR headset enormously.

    I think i'd personally rephrase your point to "it appeals to tech/gaming enthusiasts", rather than just sim ones. Still very much the niche end of the market though.

    Personally, when it comes to mass appeal, i expect AR to be much bigger in the long run. It's so much more useful on a day to day level.

  14. #1154
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    A very smart man whom I respect immensely once said to me if you want your game to be successful, never require peripherals.

    I think this probably holds true. I'm happy for the current VR R&D, because I think it's going to be excellent for sims and other things like driving games. Experiences where you are seated, and moving you head around controls your viewpoint as you ride your sim bicycle or whatever.

    It's never really going to be that much bigger than the dudes who already buy warthogs and fake cockpits, because it kind of appeals to those same dudes. People sure are throwing a lot of R&D money into it though.
    I mostly agree, but i would add that i'm not a massive sim gamer, have never bought a Warthog of cockpit, and yet enjoy my VR headset enormously.

    I think i'd personally rephrase your point to "it appeals to tech/gaming enthusiasts", rather than just sim ones. Still very much the niche end of the market though.

    Personally, when it comes to mass appeal, i expect AR to be much bigger in the long run. It's so much more useful on a day to day level.
    What I mean is that there will be some good stuff, but I think VRs longevity is in the enthusiast market, not the consumer market.

  15. #1155

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    A very smart man whom I respect immensely once said to me if you want your game to be successful, never require peripherals.

    I think this probably holds true. I'm happy for the current VR R&D, because I think it's going to be excellent for sims and other things like driving games. Experiences where you are seated, and moving you head around controls your viewpoint as you ride your sim bicycle or whatever.

    It's never really going to be that much bigger than the dudes who already buy warthogs and fake cockpits, because it kind of appeals to those same dudes. People sure are throwing a lot of R&D money into it though.
    I mostly agree, but i would add that i'm not a massive sim gamer, have never bought a Warthog of cockpit, and yet enjoy my VR headset enormously.

    I think i'd personally rephrase your point to "it appeals to tech/gaming enthusiasts", rather than just sim ones. Still very much the niche end of the market though.

    Personally, when it comes to mass appeal, i expect AR to be much bigger in the long run. It's so much more useful on a day to day level.
    What I mean is that there will be some good stuff, but I think VRs longevity is in the enthusiast market, not the consumer market.
    Yep. Which is a problem, because the enthusiast market certainly can't cover the money firms are sinking into R&D.
    So either they have misjudged massively (unlikely for all of them), or they plan to use the tech/bits of it in more widespread situations later on and see a market that will develop, somehow.

  16. #1156
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    A very smart man whom I respect immensely once said to me if you want your game to be successful, never require peripherals.

    I think this probably holds true. I'm happy for the current VR R&D, because I think it's going to be excellent for sims and other things like driving games. Experiences where you are seated, and moving you head around controls your viewpoint as you ride your sim bicycle or whatever.

    It's never really going to be that much bigger than the dudes who already buy warthogs and fake cockpits, because it kind of appeals to those same dudes. People sure are throwing a lot of R&D money into it though.
    I mostly agree, but i would add that i'm not a massive sim gamer, have never bought a Warthog of cockpit, and yet enjoy my VR headset enormously.

    I think i'd personally rephrase your point to "it appeals to tech/gaming enthusiasts", rather than just sim ones. Still very much the niche end of the market though.

    Personally, when it comes to mass appeal, i expect AR to be much bigger in the long run. It's so much more useful on a day to day level.
    What I mean is that there will be some good stuff, but I think VRs longevity is in the enthusiast market, not the consumer market.
    Yep. Which is a problem, because the enthusiast market certainly can't cover the money firms are sinking into R&D.
    So either they have misjudged massively (unlikely for all of them), or they plan to use the tech/bits of it in more widespread situations later on and see a market that will develop, somehow.
    I think the people that started oculus and those who joined like Abrash and Carmack are probably realistic about it but Zuckerberg and the coat tail riders who came with him massively miscalculated, tbh.

  17. #1157
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    27,588
    No guys it'll be as popular as the mobile phone...

  18. #1158

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    No guys it'll be as popular as the mobile phone...
    Maybe AR one day. I could potentially see that happening (but not until its a lot better than it currently is).

  19. #1159

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    No guys it'll be as popular as the mobile phone...
    It was a dumb comparison. VR is an alternate interface, not a new tool in and of itself.

    Hence me talking about mobile phone peripherals, rather than the phones themselves. In the long run I see it having a similar appeal/distribution as smart watches, once the tech is sufficiently minimised for people to always have it on without noticing.

    I do love my smartwatch as it does make a number of things I do with my phone far more convenient and it will certainly continue to be developed and improved as a technology (I'm going to be upgrading shortly to do smart-payments through it), but I don't see it as a piece of core tech that everyone in the world is going to need.

  20. #1160
    Corwyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Croatistan
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    No guys it'll be as popular as the mobile phone...
    It was a dumb comparison. VR is an alternate interface, not a new tool in and of itself.

    Hence me talking about mobile phone peripherals, rather than the phones themselves. In the long run I see it having a similar appeal/distribution as smart watches, once the tech is sufficiently minimised for people to always have it on without noticing.

    I do love my smartwatch as it does make a number of things I do with my phone far more convenient and it will certainly continue to be developed and improved as a technology (I'm going to be upgrading shortly to do smart-payments through it), but I don't see it as a piece of core tech that everyone in the world is going to need.
    Don't sell yourself short, it wasn't a dumb comparison, Smuggo is being shortsighted.
    VR could be to monitors what smartphone is to feature phones, complete replacement. Don't get locked in to current implementation. Just because stuff is bulky and requires cables *now* doesn't mean it has to stay that way forever. Imagine if it would fit into something like close fit sunglasses and could mix input from forward facing camera(s) for augmented reality. It sure as hell does not sound impossible to me. The 3 mainstream devices that we have so far have significant improvements over each other, next generation will probably keep all of the good stuff and add their own. SteamVR already announced getting rid of the tether and at minimum the displays will improve.

    Yes, for now it will be niche and sim people will benefit the most, but why wouldn't you play something like Civilization with it, if you could scroll the map by pulling around and whatnot?

    Just think of all the other tech, from mobile phones, heck fucking TVs, computers, electric cars... All of them when they showed up were not for mass market, but they evolved. How did it go, there is no market for more than 5 computers?
    Hiro Cor

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •