hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1331

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Maybe they're just having a sale as many products do a year or so after launch? Or you could be all autistic and conspiracy theory about it I guess.
    I think there's way less demand than anticipated for new techie hobbies.

Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies. People have over saturated their 'screen time' as it is and aren't interested in replacing old 'screen time' hobbies with new ones. Especially considering the price point and cost of living squeeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Maybe they're just having a sale as many products do a year or so after launch? Or you could be all autistic and conspiracy theory about it I guess.

Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies. People have over saturated their 'screen time' as it is and aren't interested in replacing old 'screen time' hobbies with new ones. Especially considering the price point and cost of living squeeze.
    I would never have anticipated huge demand for it in the first places as it's expensive, requires a very expensive PC to run, and it would only ever have limited appeal.

I would never have anticipated huge demand for it in the first places as it's expensive, requires a very expensive PC to run, and it would only ever have limited appeal.
    Or you know, the tech actually needs to a mature a whole bunch more before its viable. i.e better display tech, more comfortable to wear, easier looking out, software that is worth using beyond cockpit sims & tilt brush.
    Last edited by Torashuu; July 11 2017 at 01:52:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post

Or you know, the tech actually needs to a mature a whole bunch more before its viable. i.e better display tech, more comfortable to wear, easier looking out, software that is worth using beyond cockpit sims & tilt brush.
    Yes that... but it was never going to sell big. It's clearly a niche product.

Mobile phones didn't sell big for 20 years before becoming mainstream, and immediately replaced by smartphones.

Because they were big, bulky, had short battery life, no/poor reception except in specific locations for decades. Which needed to be solved, but only got sloved by the market simmering away to solve them by infrastructure investments & product refinements.

Are you trying to compare phones to a VR headset?

Are you trying to compare phones to a VR headset?
    I am not trying.

There is no way comparable... like not at all.

It's not an unreasonable comparison.

wat?

A phone is universally useful comms tech, making it mobile was obviously a smart move as was making it into a mini personal computer.

This is in no way similar to very expensive, niche gaming entertainment technology and it's uptake and growth will be nothing like that seen for mobile phones because it just doesn't satisfy any latent need or demand across a broad swathe of people.

its a technology that initially had limited widespread appeal because of its limitations, but once those limitations were gone did become mainstream.

Same thing happend with TV, with Radio. Those also were dependent on the content/quality of content for them to be interresting enough to improve the tech itself and become more mainstream. It did not happen over 3 years with the 1st generation of products.

Tablets same thing, smart phones needed Apple to make it mass marketable, before that it was all business blackberries.

The idea that a technology is mass marketable on first incarnation is laughable, however much its advocates might want you to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
    its a technology that initially had limited widespread appeal because of its limitations, but once those limitations were gone did become mainstream.

Same thing happend with TV, with Radio. Those also were dependent on the content/quality of content for them to be interresting enough to improve the tech itself and become more mainstream. It did not happen over 3 years with the 1st generation of products.

Tablets same thing, smart phones needed Apple to make it mass marketable, before that it was all business blackberries.
    Right... but I just don't think VR will ever have mass appeal. For starters you need to wear some big shit on your head for it.

You are proving my point mate.

I've been waiting for a price drop like this and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If sales have been slow, perhaps that's why.

This is just the free market in action.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

??

The difference is, if you said to someone in say the mid 1990s, "would you like to be able to call anyone from anywhere and also have a small PC with internet in your pocket" virtually everyone would say "yeah if it worked"

IF you ask them "would you like to play computer games by be fully immersed in it with full 360 motion" most probably would go... meh.

VR has been done before, it failed then, dunno why you think it will now become as popular as the mobile phone (lol). It suffers the same problem that 3D has suffered its many incarnations as well, that you need some additonal object to put on your face to make it work. It lacks that innate accessibility all those other inventions you cite have.

Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies.
    I haven't seen it as socially alienating at all.

In my group of about a half-dozen friends I game with/hang out on Discord nightly with, only 1 of us bought a Rift - as soon as it was released. He used it frequently in ED and tried out a few more VR games each Steam sale. Since then, he has essentially proselytized four more people into buying a Rift/Vive and while they each dabble individually with different games and at different times, most of their VR game-play now is together. The rest of us haven't suffered in any way because we all play different games so when they're off in VR, if we want to game we've got plenty of options, OR we can watch what they're doing via Twitch and contribute ... commentary. Meanwhile, most of their overall gameplay is still with us in things like Arma 3 or HoTS or ESO.

It's still an enthusiasts product. Because of that, we're in no danger of some digital-divide forming where our friends are lured away by the siren song of VR leaving us few poor cunts to our impoverished, potato PCs. Maybe in a couple of years I'd be worried about that, but that's Capitalism.

EDIT: of those 4-5 people I mentioned, all 4-5 are probably the top disposable-income people of my social circle. If I had the disposable income to buy one now the price has dropped, I would. I'd possibly be less au fait about getting the requisite GPU upgrade in the current market, though.

That being said, if I had even that much money to throw around on what is essentially a frivolity, there are plenty of other frivolities I'd chase first.
    Last edited by Sparq; July 11 2017 at 02:23:05 PM.

??

The difference is, if you said to someone in say the mid 1990s, "would you like to be able to call anyone from anywhere and also have a small PC with internet in your pocket" virtually everyone would say "yeah if it worked"

IF you ask them "would you like to play computer games by be fully immersed in it with full 360 motion" most probably would go... meh.

VR has been done before, it failed then, dunno why you think it will now become as popular as the mobile phone (lol). It suffers the same problem that 3D has suffered its many incarnations as well, that you need some additonal object to put on your face to make it work. It lacks that innate accessibility all those other inventions you cite have.
    I'd say the answer to both is "Yeah if it worked" and both required the tech to be small, easy to use and cheap, with lots of options of usability. Neither tech satisfied these conditions on initial market release.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies.
    I haven't seen it as socially alienating at all.
    Gaming, while being sociable, can also be viewed as escapism for many from their material conditions. Something can be sociable but also socially alienating, just look at social media. The buying of OR by facebook immediately signals the direction of this particular technology and the aims for it to become a commodity vessel for deeper inclusion of the users into the unreality of the spectacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

??

Reframe the question to be "Would you like your entire smartphone unobtrusively embedded in the frame of your glasses?" and you can see where he's going. You're focusing too narrowly on gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    ??

Reframe the question to be "Would you like your entire smartphone unobtrusively embedded in the frame of your glasses?" and you can see where he's going. You're focusing too narrowly on gaming.
    No, and as the failure of Google Glass demonstrated, no one really does.