hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 64653545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1312

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

  1. #1101
    Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,249
    I've been waiting for a price drop like this and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If sales have been slow, perhaps that's why.

    This is just the free market in action.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

  2. #1102
    Smuggo
    Guest
    ??

    The difference is, if you said to someone in say the mid 1990s, "would you like to be able to call anyone from anywhere and also have a small PC with internet in your pocket" virtually everyone would say "yeah if it worked"

    IF you ask them "would you like to play computer games by be fully immersed in it with full 360 motion" most probably would go... meh.

    VR has been done before, it failed then, dunno why you think it will now become as popular as the mobile phone (lol). It suffers the same problem that 3D has suffered its many incarnations as well, that you need some additonal object to put on your face to make it work. It lacks that innate accessibility all those other inventions you cite have.

  3. #1103
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    8,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies.
    I haven't seen it as socially alienating at all.

    In my group of about a half-dozen friends I game with/hang out on Discord nightly with, only 1 of us bought a Rift - as soon as it was released. He used it frequently in ED and tried out a few more VR games each Steam sale. Since then, he has essentially proselytized four more people into buying a Rift/Vive and while they each dabble individually with different games and at different times, most of their VR game-play now is together. The rest of us haven't suffered in any way because we all play different games so when they're off in VR, if we want to game we've got plenty of options, OR we can watch what they're doing via Twitch and contribute ... commentary. Meanwhile, most of their overall gameplay is still with us in things like Arma 3 or HoTS or ESO.

    It's still an enthusiasts product. Because of that, we're in no danger of some digital-divide forming where our friends are lured away by the siren song of VR leaving us few poor cunts to our impoverished, potato PCs. Maybe in a couple of years I'd be worried about that, but that's Capitalism.

    EDIT: of those 4-5 people I mentioned, all 4-5 are probably the top disposable-income people of my social circle. If I had the disposable income to buy one now the price has dropped, I would. I'd possibly be less au fait about getting the requisite GPU upgrade in the current market, though.

    That being said, if I had even that much money to throw around on what is essentially a frivolity, there are plenty of other frivolities I'd chase first.
    Last edited by Sparq; July 11 2017 at 03:23:05 PM.

  4. #1104

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    ??

    The difference is, if you said to someone in say the mid 1990s, "would you like to be able to call anyone from anywhere and also have a small PC with internet in your pocket" virtually everyone would say "yeah if it worked"

    IF you ask them "would you like to play computer games by be fully immersed in it with full 360 motion" most probably would go... meh.

    VR has been done before, it failed then, dunno why you think it will now become as popular as the mobile phone (lol). It suffers the same problem that 3D has suffered its many incarnations as well, that you need some additonal object to put on your face to make it work. It lacks that innate accessibility all those other inventions you cite have.
    I'd say the answer to both is "Yeah if it worked" and both required the tech to be small, easy to use and cheap, with lots of options of usability. Neither tech satisfied these conditions on initial market release.

  5. #1105
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    14,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies.
    I haven't seen it as socially alienating at all.
    Gaming, while being sociable, can also be viewed as escapism for many from their material conditions. Something can be sociable but also socially alienating, just look at social media. The buying of OR by facebook immediately signals the direction of this particular technology and the aims for it to become a commodity vessel for deeper inclusion of the users into the unreality of the spectacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  6. #1106

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    ??

    The difference is, if you said to someone in say the mid 1990s, "would you like to be able to call anyone from anywhere and also have a small PC with internet in your pocket" virtually everyone would say "yeah if it worked"

    IF you ask them "would you like to play computer games by be fully immersed in it with full 360 motion" most probably would go... meh.

    VR has been done before, it failed then, dunno why you think it will now become as popular as the mobile phone (lol). It suffers the same problem that 3D has suffered its many incarnations as well, that you need some additonal object to put on your face to make it work. It lacks that innate accessibility all those other inventions you cite have.
    Reframe the question to be "Would you like your entire smartphone unobtrusively embedded in the frame of your glasses?" and you can see where he's going. You're focusing too narrowly on gaming.

  7. #1107
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    ??

    The difference is, if you said to someone in say the mid 1990s, "would you like to be able to call anyone from anywhere and also have a small PC with internet in your pocket" virtually everyone would say "yeah if it worked"

    IF you ask them "would you like to play computer games by be fully immersed in it with full 360 motion" most probably would go... meh.

    VR has been done before, it failed then, dunno why you think it will now become as popular as the mobile phone (lol). It suffers the same problem that 3D has suffered its many incarnations as well, that you need some additonal object to put on your face to make it work. It lacks that innate accessibility all those other inventions you cite have.
    Reframe the question to be "Would you like your entire smartphone unobtrusively embedded in the frame of your glasses?" and you can see where he's going. You're focusing too narrowly on gaming.
    No, and as the failure of Google Glass demonstrated, no one really does.

  8. #1108

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,523
    unobtrusive
    /ʌnəbˈtruːsɪv/Submit
    adjective
    not conspicuous or attracting attention.
    "the service was unobtrusive and efficient"
    fuck you're a dumb cunt sometimes

  9. #1109
    Smuggo
    Guest
    How was Glass not unobtrusive?

  10. #1110
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    14,241
    It pretty fucking heavily intrudes into your privacy and connection with reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  11. #1111
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    It pretty fucking heavily intrudes into your privacy and connection with reality.
    Not the point these fools are trying to make though, they seem to think it's only a matter of time before people will want to wear facebook on their head and that it will be something on a par with the mobile phone or television.

  12. #1112

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    How was Glass not unobtrusive?
    because it involved strapping a fuckoff great big bit of plastic and a lens to your forehead?

  13. #1113

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    It pretty fucking heavily intrudes into your privacy and connection with reality.
    Not the point these fools are trying to make though, they seem to think it's only a matter of time before people will want to wear facebook on their head and that it will be something on a par with the mobile phone or television.
    You are enormously dumb today

  14. #1114
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    How was Glass not unobtrusive?
    because it involved strapping a fuckoff great big bit of plastic and a lens to your forehead?
    It was not very big at all, and it being smaller is not the issue. People didn't like it because wasn't useful and there's no benefit to be had displaying images directly in front of your face.

  15. #1115
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    It pretty fucking heavily intrudes into your privacy and connection with reality.
    Not the point these fools are trying to make though, they seem to think it's only a matter of time before people will want to wear facebook on their head and that it will be something on a par with the mobile phone or television.
    To be fair, have you seen the average dribbling retard on facebook? If you can get apple to manufacture them and double the price, itll be the fastest selling thing since pints of milk
    Yeah but they like posting a photo of their fat baby and then looking at how many likes it got. They don't get anything out of this either.

  16. #1116

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,523
    It was fucking enormous, overpriced, did nothing practical and made you look like a fucking berk, just like today's VR goggles. That does not invalidate the idea. Just like carrying round a literal car battery to power your first generation mobile between the three functioning signal areas does not invalidate the idea of the mobile phone in general.


  17. #1117
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    It was fucking enormous, overpriced, did nothing practical and made you look like a fucking berk, just like today's VR goggles. That does not invalidate the idea. Just like carrying round a literal car battery to power your first generation mobile between the three functioning signal areas does not invalidate the idea of the mobile phone in general.

    It was not enormous. The only thing weird about it was people wearing lensless glasses but the actual unit itself was pretty small.

  18. #1118

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,443
    Anything that requires arm gestures or voice activation is just shit on my smart-watch, but the passive functionality and the software that just acts as a useful viewing extension for my phone works really, really well. I imagine head-mounted tech will start working when designers focus on providing similar passive and/or mobile phone extension functionality and forget about all that dumb "voice/gesture" automation shit that makes you sound/look like a right prick.

    Then tech needs to advance for it to be effectively unnoticeable when worn.

    Language conversion (written and audio)
    A better way of viewing map routes you setup on your phone
    An AR overlay that highlights the taxi you ordered via your phone app
    etc etc

    would all be fine. As long as no-one can see I'm wearing it while I'm wearing it.

    We are a fair way off from that yet.

  19. #1119
    Smuggo
    Guest
    That may be, still not sure what it has to do with a VR headset though or why VR will be the next smartphone.

  20. #1120

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    3,810
    Your missing the point: It takes time for technology to mature enough before it has a chance at mainstream appeal. VR/AR are still in their first generation comercial release, and it cannot be reasonably expected to have widespread adoption right out the gate. You cannot expect it get widespread adoption before the current drawbacks have been circumvented, if that happens at all.

    As for your statements on what people want out of technology, a cursory examination of history will show people will not know something is usefull before it is there or figure out it has a use other than intented that does make it attractive.

    Though I guess we should prize ourselves lucky with your presence, since you seem to be able to predict future consumer trends. On that note, why are you not a billionaire yet?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •