hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 55 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1332

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

OR prices slashed again. Precursor to it's ( VR Tech in general ) demise or just shifting units?

At this price point I'm more tempted than ever...

Since launching in March 2016, the dedicated headset from Facebook’s VR division hasn’t seen a reduction in price anywhere close to the drop we’re seeing at the moment. The official ‘Summer of Rift’ sale is, according to Oculus, “all about celebrating the VR community and encouraging new people to get into the game”.

For Aussies that have been sitting on the fence, that actually means now's the best time yet to buy the Oculus Rift, with a summer sale in the US reducing its price to US$449 including delivering to Australia. This brings the cost down from over $1,000 Aussie dollars to around the $600 mark — but this one is definitely a limited time offer, so we'd suggested jumping on it while it lasts.

Of course, you'll also need to have a VR-ready PC to power it, but the Rift kit otherwise comes with everything you need to kick off into virtual reality, including the headset, two sensors, touch controllers, Xbox One controller, remote, necessary cables and a bonus seven free VR titles to get you gaming straight away.

The included titles are Medium, Lucky’s Tale, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, Robo Recall, and Dragon Front.

We’re unsure if this sale is indicative of the current status of Oculus VR, with the company having to pay US$500 million in a lawsuit to ZeniMax earlier this year and its founder and creator Palmer Luckey leaving soon afterwards, or if it truly is a celebration of VR's success.

Either way, if you've wanted to try out VR on your PC without spending a small fortune, this is the best option yet.

http://www.techradar.com/news/realit...by-almost-half

Despite Mark Zuckerberg’s early enthusiasm for virtual reality, the technology has stubbornly remained a hard sell for Facebook (50 Smartest Companies 2017). Now, in yet another sign that VR is failing to capture the imagination of the public, the company has just cut the price of its Oculus Rift hardware for the second time this year.

For the next six weeks, the Oculus Rift headset and its matching controllers will cost just $399. That’s $400 less than when it first hit the market, and $200 less than when its price was first slashed in March. It means that the Rift now costs less than the package offered by its cheapest rival, Sony, whose PlayStation VR currently totals $460 including headset and controllers.

Even so, it’s not clear that it will be enough to lure people into buying a Rift. A year ago, our own Rachel Metz predicted that the Rift would struggle against Sony’s offering because the former requires a powerful (and expensive) gaming computer to run, while the latter needs just a $350 PlayStation 4 game console.

Jason Rubin, vice president for content at Oculus, tells Reuters that the reduction isn’t a sign of weak product sales, but rather a decision to give the headset more mass market appeal now that more games are available. Don’t believe it: this is the latest in a string of bad news for the firm, which has also shut down its nascent film studio, shuttered in-store demo stations of its hardware, and stumped up $250 million as part of a painful intellectual property lawsuit in the last six months.

Of course, nobody said that rolling out VR would be easy. Three years after Facebook acquired Oculus for $2 billion in 2014, Mark Zuckerberg admitted that it would probably take 10 years or more for VR to reach the mass market. But if prices have to keep falling like this, it looks like VR may be a tougher sell than even Zuck imagined.
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...-in-the-water/

I feel like VR never really progressed much past the 'cool gimmick' phase. It had about 6 months of hype and then seemed to crash harder than star citizen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    IDGI, what evidence is there its crashed?

Price drops in a multi-system competition ecosystem 18 months after launch could mean anything. Losing market share, prep for new product launch, mass-production economies of scale, Anything.
    Last edited by Lallante; July 11 2017 at 10:20:02 AM.

I thought all the VR goggle shit was still all in dev phases and hadnt been released /marketed to the great unwashed masses yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    I thought all the VR goggle shit was still all in dev phases and hadnt been released /marketed to the great unwashed masses yet?
    u wot m8?
    They were released last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    u wot m8?
    They were? Guess I was too busy to notice.

u wot m8?
    m8....

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    u wot m8?
    m8....
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I feel like VR never really progressed much past the 'cool gimmick' phase. It had about 6 months of hype and then seemed to crash harder than star citizen.
    If that's true it's because it's marketed by retards for retards. First and foremost they should have targeted sim crowd. People build functional cockpits in their houses, splurging for rift shouldn't even register for them. And once you tried DCS, Il2, E or Project Cars/Asseto Corsa there's no going back even though resolution is lower. Instead they went with crap like Job Simulator. You can pay more than some people earn for that working at McD experience...Ehh sims would grab people attention much harder.

Another thing is that they insist on limiting your mobility. This makes 99% of products unappealing. Again once you tried Subnautica with it's full freedom of movement games that force you to teleport between places simply don't cut it. Which is a shame because Super Hot would be amazing if it allowed full freedom of movement. Because 5-10% of people get motion sick they pretty much ruined it for all the others. Great thinking.

And last thing - it really requires beefy pc. You won't even notice lower texture details because of low native resolution but you will need to run it with as high antialiasing as you can afford for the same reason. And you need to keep that framerate smooth. It doesn't matter if you have no problems with one scene being rendered with smooth 90 when next one will turn ASW on - you will feel nausea or fatigue after few times.

I'm tempted to snap one up, but would need a new graphics card to run the thing; which is not a good thing atm.

I got one thank to this sales and I had a blast with several games. It's really cool for that price.

Also tempted to get one for Elite as I've been told repeatedly it's awesome there.
    However my PC may need significant upgrading too as it's getting a little potatoey...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    I'm tempted to snap one up, but would need a new graphics card to run the thing; which is not a good thing atm.
    Most (all?)of the games from the last year were targetting gtx 970 levels to run (and its not like there's anything new and shiny coming out now) so if you have that or equivalent you should be good to go. Obviously something like a 1070 would allow you to supersample and get that sweet sweet resolutuion text requires to not burn the eyes and cause the eye cancer and the eye aids

So a persistent thought about this price reduction is that there might be a new model around the corner.

If so, they've managed to keep that very quiet and missed some key release points with recent tech / game conventions.

Thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Most (all?)of the games from the last year were targetting gtx 970 levels to run (and its not like there's anything new and shiny coming out now) so if you have that or equivalent you should be good to go. Obviously something like a 1070 would allow you to supersample and get that sweet sweet resolutuion text requires to not burn the eyes and cause the eye cancer and the eye aids
    I'm referring to the fact that the card market is going fucking crazy atm with the prices on the up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    So a persistent thought about this price reduction is that there might be a new model around the corner.

If so, they've managed to keep that very quiet and missed some key release points with recent tech / game conventions.

Thoughts ?
    I feel that if they had a new product close to launch they would've revealed it at GDC or E3 or what ever the fuck it was a month or two ago. Honestly I think they are facing liquidity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post

Thoughts ?
    Seems unlikely to me, for the very points you raised. They'd want to start marketing it, surely?

Maybe they're just having a sale as many products do a year or so after launch? Or you could be all autistic and conspiracy theory about it I guess.

Naw.. Vive v2 is 'coming soon' with a better display and cable free.. I would be utterly shocked of the rift was going to do the same thing.

Also im fucking shocked that VR hasn't taken off like it also failed to do the last 2 times it was tried.. (I'm also getting pretty pissed off with devs who seem to think no one has ever made a VR game before.. I played fucking doom in VR.. )
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    IDGI, what evidence is there its crashed?
    Dev shops churning out VR apps have been collapsing at a rate of knots. Taken with drastic cuts in the cost of hardware and it begins to paint a picture. Hardware sales have been sluggish at best, with unit sales in the low millions even on the most optimistic of estimates (i.e. including things like Gear VR). Software sales have been even worse. Given that you make money off the software, not the hardware, the market is going nowhere.

The hype cycle is over and now we're into commercial reality. There's simply not enough interest to maintain a mass market, and I'd put that down to there not being enough interesting applications. It's 3D TVs all over again.

I suspect in 12 months the market will be truly dead, or will have transformed to target pro applications only, with only one or two niche players left much as the drone market has.

I haven't bought one (probably won't either) much because i suspect it will turn into a dust gathering gimmick in a short while.
    Also it makes spotting planes harder in DCS which is the main application i'd want it for.