hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1312

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

So a persistent thought about this price reduction is that there might be a new model around the corner.

If so, they've managed to keep that very quiet and missed some key release points with recent tech / game conventions.

Thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    I'm tempted to snap one up, but would need a new graphics card to run the thing; which is not a good thing atm.
    Most (all?)of the games from the last year were targetting gtx 970 levels to run (and its not like there's anything new and shiny coming out now) so if you have that or equivalent you should be good to go. Obviously something like a 1070 would allow you to supersample and get that sweet sweet resolutuion text requires to not burn the eyes and cause the eye cancer and the eye aids
    I'm referring to the fact that the card market is going fucking crazy atm with the prices on the up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    So a persistent thought about this price reduction is that there might be a new model around the corner.

If so, they've managed to keep that very quiet and missed some key release points with recent tech / game conventions.

Thoughts ?
    I feel that if they had a new product close to launch they would've revealed it at GDC or E3 or what ever the fuck it was a month or two ago. Honestly I think they are facing liquidity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post

Thoughts ?
    Seems unlikely to me, for the very points you raised. They'd want to start marketing it, surely?

Smuggo
    Maybe they're just having a sale as many products do a year or so after launch? Or you could be all autistic and conspiracy theory about it I guess.

Naw.. Vive v2 is 'coming soon' with a better display and cable free.. I would be utterly shocked of the rift was going to do the same thing.

Also im fucking shocked that VR hasn't taken off like it also failed to do the last 2 times it was tried.. (I'm also getting pretty pissed off with devs who seem to think no one has ever made a VR game before.. I played fucking doom in VR.. )
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    IDGI, what evidence is there its crashed?
    Dev shops churning out VR apps have been collapsing at a rate of knots. Taken with drastic cuts in the cost of hardware and it begins to paint a picture. Hardware sales have been sluggish at best, with unit sales in the low millions even on the most optimistic of estimates (i.e. including things like Gear VR). Software sales have been even worse. Given that you make money off the software, not the hardware, the market is going nowhere.

The hype cycle is over and now we're into commercial reality. There's simply not enough interest to maintain a mass market, and I'd put that down to there not being enough interesting applications. It's 3D TVs all over again.

I suspect in 12 months the market will be truly dead, or will have transformed to target pro applications only, with only one or two niche players left much as the drone market has.

I haven't bought one (probably won't either) much because i suspect it will turn into a dust gathering gimmick in a short while.
    Also it makes spotting planes harder in DCS which is the main application i'd want it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Maybe they're just having a sale as many products do a year or so after launch? Or you could be all autistic and conspiracy theory about it I guess.
    I think there's way less demand than anticipated for new techie hobbies.

Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies. People have over saturated their 'screen time' as it is and aren't interested in replacing old 'screen time' hobbies with new ones. Especially considering the price point and cost of living squeeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Part of me hopes it's a rebound against socially alienating, tech driven hobbies. People have over saturated their 'screen time' as it is and aren't interested in replacing old 'screen time' hobbies with new ones. Especially considering the price point and cost of living squeeze.
    I would never have anticipated huge demand for it in the first places as it's expensive, requires a very expensive PC to run, and it would only ever have limited appeal.

I would never have anticipated huge demand for it in the first places as it's expensive, requires a very expensive PC to run, and it would only ever have limited appeal.
    Or you know, the tech actually needs to a mature a whole bunch more before its viable. i.e better display tech, more comfortable to wear, easier looking out, software that is worth using beyond cockpit sims & tilt brush.
    Last edited by Torashuu; July 11 2017 at 02:52:41 PM.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post

Or you know, the tech actually needs to a mature a whole bunch more before its viable. i.e better display tech, more comfortable to wear, easier looking out, software that is worth using beyond cockpit sims & tilt brush.
    Yes that... but it was never going to sell big. It's clearly a niche product.

Mobile phones didn't sell big for 20 years before becoming mainstream, and immediately replaced by smartphones.

Because they were big, bulky, had short battery life, no/poor reception except in specific locations for decades. Which needed to be solved, but only got sloved by the market simmering away to solve them by infrastructure investments & product refinements.

Smuggo
    Are you trying to compare phones to a VR headset?

Are you trying to compare phones to a VR headset?
    I am not trying.

Smuggo
    There is no way comparable... like not at all.

It's not an unreasonable comparison.

Smuggo
    wat?

A phone is universally useful comms tech, making it mobile was obviously a smart move as was making it into a mini personal computer.

This is in no way similar to very expensive, niche gaming entertainment technology and it's uptake and growth will be nothing like that seen for mobile phones because it just doesn't satisfy any latent need or demand across a broad swathe of people.

its a technology that initially had limited widespread appeal because of its limitations, but once those limitations were gone did become mainstream.

Same thing happend with TV, with Radio. Those also were dependent on the content/quality of content for them to be interresting enough to improve the tech itself and become more mainstream. It did not happen over 3 years with the 1st generation of products.

Tablets same thing, smart phones needed Apple to make it mass marketable, before that it was all business blackberries.

The idea that a technology is mass marketable on first incarnation is laughable, however much its advocates might want you to think otherwise.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
    its a technology that initially had limited widespread appeal because of its limitations, but once those limitations were gone did become mainstream.

Same thing happend with TV, with Radio. Those also were dependent on the content/quality of content for them to be interresting enough to improve the tech itself and become more mainstream. It did not happen over 3 years with the 1st generation of products.

Tablets same thing, smart phones needed Apple to make it mass marketable, before that it was all business blackberries.
    Right... but I just don't think VR will ever have mass appeal. For starters you need to wear some big shit on your head for it.

You are proving my point mate.