hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 66 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus/Facebook merger

Oculus/Facebook merger

Surprised there isn't a thread already.

Anyway, Facebook bought Oculus today. http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/55...lanet-facebook

I don't take quite as cynical a view as that article. I figure if there's going to be a major collective VR environment, they're probably the best people to set it up - as long as they let things proceed as normal and Oculus.

Yay cyberpunk!

Quote Originally Posted by DerWish View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Surprised there isn't a thread already.

Anyway, Facebook bought Oculus today. http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/55...lanet-facebook

I don't take quite as cynical a view as that article. I figure if there's going to be a major collective VR environment, they're probably the best people to set it up - as long as they let things proceed as normal and Oculus.

Yay adspaceforsalepunk!
    fyp

Hey bioware mind if we buy you we are interested in making good games and stuff HAHAHAHA SUCKA

Anything kicktasrter and/or independent being sold off literally = cash-in.

I think Notch said it best in his blog after he announced that he was killing a project for minecraft/Occulus integration:

And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.
    this pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

inb4 EA acquire Star Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by iLOL View Post
    I kinda want this to happen if only for the ocean of tears.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOL View Post
    I kinda want this to happen if only for the ocean of tears.
    Oh god, that would be the most beautiful beautiful thing ever.

Also:

Sounds like a very smart business decision. The gamer butt-hurt and absurdity about "selling out" is beyond amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    I think Notch said it best in his blog after he announced that he was killing a project for minecraft/Occulus integration:

And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.
    More Notch quotes from Reddit
    Quote Originally Posted by xNotch
    You got my respect before I met you. You kept it when I met you. I understand that this happened because people with investments in the company saw big sacks of dollar bills. I understand you're probably under a big NDA and stuck in golden handcuffs, and that this might be a frustrating situation.

I just hope you got your fair share. VR will live on. Thank you for being part of making it finally happen.

I really wish this hadn't happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by xNotch
    A lot of companies are working on VR now. This means competition. This means better VR, and a higher chance of mass market acceptance. This means even better VR.

It's going to be all right.

Maybe.

Generating 'mad cash' selling an idea to pioneers, getting the product that far then just kicking back and flogging it may be good business sense, but it's a awful kick in the teeth to developer/backers who are understandably pissed off.

Wouldn't be surprised if the crowdfunding bubble deflates / is now burst. After all, those backers don't own any shares, they are not owed anything - and crowdfunding has no precedent for "returning their money now daddy has stepped in to bankroll it all".

Without trying to sound too melodramatic, Occulus Rift is now essentially over. Those dudes havking Skyrim to work with it and a Wii controller? gone last night. Minecraft? Public divorce. Praise be to the commercial VR applications though. Yay woo. They will be glorious soulless shite.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

>A lot of companies are working on VR now.
    I think he means sony and quite possibly microshaft?

The thought was since oculus are independent they are interested in better developing and implementing the VR rather than monetizing it. Now this went through the chimney.

So pissed. I bought 200 shares at 43...the Zuck's shopping spree just cost me a couple grand. As for who owns oculus rift, I don't give a fuck. VR is for fat nerds and bad sci-fi films.

Apparently there are about 6 different outfits developing VR headsets. I'm sure Samsung are, and Valve could presumably start making a serious effort if they decided to. As for the rest I have no idea.

You have to feel sorry for the kickstarter backers though, and some of the game developers who've put expensive hours into making stuff work with the Oculus. I guess CCP are in denial on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by lucian View Post
    So pissed. I bought 200 shares at 43...the Zuck's shopping spree just cost me a couple grand. As for who owns oculus rift, I don't give a fuck. VR is for fat nerds and bad sci-fi films.
    >buying shares in Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorjak View Post
    Apparently there are about 6 different outfits developing VR headsets. I'm sure Samsung are, and Valve could presumably start making a serious effort if they decided to. As for the rest I have no idea.

You have to feel sorry for the kickstarter backers though, and some of the game developers who've put expensive hours into making stuff work with the Oculus. I guess CCP are in denial on this one.
    I'm sure CCP are on board with eve-gate and whatnot.

Doubt Gaijin ent were actually integrating anything on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lucian View Post
    >buying shares in Facebook
    $8600 into $14500 at its high last week. Not a bad return for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post

He chipped in to jumpstart the entire VR concept into a viable concept. Before Occulus generated so much interest, the closest thing we had was the whole kinect interaction thing. Once Occulus proved that modern tech can make a viable product everyone was suddenly interested in the system.

Zucks knows that Facebook has limited growth potential and that he as a businessman will need to tap new tech for Facebook but also to branch out into other technologies altogether. Occulus gives him a foot in the door of something that has HUGE potential. I'm fully expecting him to rebrand into some Google + Omnicorp. Occulus on the other hand gets access to buckets of cash and a hands off promise. Even 1/4 of the cash that can be tossed his way for R&D far outstrips what they had before.

No more jury rigging Android parts. No more worry about being understaffed. Ability to branch out into peripherals while still undergoing development of the headset. And best of all, the possibility of a cheaper price projection.

Quote Originally Posted by EntroX View Post
    i love you fhc, never change