hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Tuesday] I can haz Intercyberwebbynets, pls.

[Tuesday] I can haz Intercyberwebbynets, pls.

After several hours of my modem/router playing the "training/handshake/down" loop-game, I've determined that: a) it's time to switch ISP b) I can't afford to switch ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    After several hours of my modem/router playing the "training/handshake/down" loop-game, I've determined that: a) it's time to switch ISP b) I can't afford to switch ISP.
    c) all of the above

I'm going to check probably my last potential place to rent before the quarter starts, I am praying that it's not ant/cockroach-infested, molding, or faulty-wired catastrophe.

Really would like to live somewhere, without people 4-5 years younger than me with different habits. Otherwise I'm likely to be stuck in a housing unit with 8 other people and no proper kitchen to speak of.
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

d) I did find one decent provider who can give me the same data allowance for $10 less per month what I pay now ... but it'll cost me $90 up front for a new modem/router and another $60 to connect/churn.

What's rather horrifying is how much the two biggest companies charge. Optus wants $80 for 200GB of ADSL2, Telstra wants $93! Fuck that, I pay $50 for 500GB right now with TPG - but whenever it goes tits-up I'm left knee-deep in assholes trying to get anything fixed.

I've found Exetel offer 500GB for $40 - that'll do nicely. I just need to put some dosh aside for the extras.

Ouch, I think you guys are just about the only first world country that gets fucked on internet more then the US.

Spoiler:

$40 a month, no bandwidth caps, through a comcast reseller.
    The downside? My internet goes down 3-5 times a day for 5-60 seconds. Fuuu.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Ouch, I think you guys are just about the only first world country that gets fucked on internet more then the US.

Spoiler:

Yeah, I'd like to know the causes of those 3-5 downtimes every day, it happens at places that use Comcast (both a workplace two summers ago) and a cafe (multiple times a week).

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"

I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    I worked on a Navy FLIR system today.

To quote the crewman. "You either try and get this back up and running or we fly back to Whidbey." While not a terribly long distance from the slide zone, its still a solid 20-30 minutes each way of not searching for people.

It was really a refreshing day of work today. Every organization and agency that sent assets to the emergency zone shared them, we were the only IT assets on site for the first 12 hours and I can't count the number of Toughbook battery issues we solved nor the agencies they all came from. I was paid by one agency, but served atleast a half dozen others in their efforts. I replaced a blown capacitor on a garmin GPS unit used on a small hovercraft and I confirmed that a Substation Relay engineers Multi-Meter was in fact working properly by giving him access to a power supply with a well known, accurate and consistent(given the temperature) output. It was the battery in my Suzuki.. He was kind of upset because that meant their grid was more fucked up and screwy than he had original thought, wasn't providing any consistent anything.

Sad sights all day, but I did a job I was asked too and for anyone who asked me to do it. Felt good.

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Grilled chicken tacos with chipotle en adobo.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post

c) all of the above

I'm going to check probably my last potential place to rent before the quarter starts, I am praying that it's not ant/cockroach-infested, molding, or faulty-wired catastrophe.

Really would like to live somewhere, without people 4-5 years younger than me with different habits. Otherwise I'm likely to be stuck in a housing unit with 8 other people and no proper kitchen to speak of.
    No i'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post
    I went to a Dive Bar next to a Hell's Angels Clubhouse that also serves some of the best pub food in Denver. Had a delicious burger. And two delicious beers.

Burger w/ green chile, cheddar, pickled onion, mayonesa w/ tater tots. Would nom again.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post
    I went to a Dive Bar next to a Hell's Angels Clubhouse that also serves some of the best pub food in Denver. Had a delicious burger. And two delicious beers.

Burger w/ green chile, cheddar, pickled onion, mayonesa w/ tater tots. Would nom again.
    Please tell me that pubs name is "1%er".

Also, my Belgian-styled quad ale is ~9.5% ABV if my numbers are right.

d) I did find one decent provider who can give me the same data allowance for $10 less per month what I pay now ... but it'll cost me $90 up front for a new modem/router and another $60 to connect/churn.

What's rather horrifying is how much the two biggest companies charge. Optus wants $80 for 200GB of ADSL2, Telstra wants $93! Fuck that, I pay $50 for 500GB right now with TPG - but whenever it goes tits-up I'm left knee-deep in assholes trying to get anything fixed.

I've found Exetel offer 500GB for $40 - that'll do nicely. I just need to put some dosh aside for the extras.
    You realize changing ISPs is unlikely going to fix the issue as all they will do is reprogram the port you are already plugged in to right?

Borrow a new(ish) modem and test the line with that before you spend hundreds of dollars not fixing the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

You realize changing ISPs is unlikely going to fix the issue as all they will do is reprogram the port you are already plugged in to right?

Borrow a new(ish) modem and test the line with that before you spend hundreds of dollars not fixing the issue.
    1) TPG are shit, that is to say it's good when it works but when it doesn't (which has been often enough to become a problem) it's more effort than it's worth in getting them to fix it.

2) I need a new modem/router, the one I selected checks enough boxes that any extra cost is negligible and compensated by peace of mind (it should work out of the box & it's supported). That and most of the N300 wireless units I looked at all hover around the $90 mark, anyway.

3) I've tried a new modem/router already and I noticed some improvement - though there was quite a lot of line jitter sometimes using the new one, I think it was down to a hardware fault (which is mostly irrelevant now because it bricked itself when I was flashing new firmware - the original firmware it shipped with was shit-house - like, reports of iDevices making it shit the bed).

As things stand, if I switch I get a new modem/router (that I would be buying, anyway) and after 6 months I start saving money by paying less per month than what I do now.

1) TPG are shit, that is to say it's good when it works but when it doesn't (which has been often enough to become a problem) it's more effort than it's worth in getting them to fix it.

2) I need a new modem/router, the one I selected checks enough boxes that any extra cost is negligible and compensated by peace of mind (it should work out of the box & it's supported). That and most of the N300 wireless units I looked at all hover around the $90 mark, anyway.

3) I've tried a new modem/router already and I noticed some improvement - though there was quite a lot of line jitter sometimes using the new one, I think it was down to a hardware fault (which is mostly irrelevant now because it bricked itself when I was flashing new firmware - the original firmware it shipped with was shit-house - like, reports of iDevices making it shit the bed).

As things stand, if I switch I get a new modem/router (that I would be buying, anyway) and after 6 months I start saving money by paying less per month than what I do now.
    Define 'Jitter'.. Is this noise on the phone? If it is it may indicate the filtering isn't working (or correct).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Donor

Spoiler:

$60/month, no caps, very stable. Yay for not getting screwed by comcast (for comparison I used to pay $75/month for ~30 down ~10 up from comcast)

I just made my first bagpipe reed. And it actually sounds decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    I just made my first bagpipe reed. And it actually sounds decent.
    misread as "bagpipe weed"

Now wondering what bagpipe weed would be like

Define 'Jitter'.. Is this noise on the phone? If it is it may indicate the filtering isn't working (or correct).
    By "jitter", I meant as in consistency of latency: with the (now dead) replacement router when I ran a speed test I'd usually get okay-to-good download speeds, horrible uploads and the latency chart would be a series of regular, jagged spikes. I think it was an issue with that specific modem/router, though. It acted up in other ways (resetting certain parameters, not saving certain changes, generally being a pain in the ass) which eventually provoked me to look into upgrading the firmware (during which, it gave up the ghost).

I switched back to the original ISP-supplied modem/router and it's just started up again with the same behavior that got me to buy the replacement.

It appeared to resolve it the other day, with a factory reset & re-entering all the parameters but after a few days of fairly solid performance it started acting up again this morning by going into a train/handshake/down loop on the DSL line.

I know people locally with my ISP who're on the same exchange so it's pretty easy to establish what issues are at my end and what issues are at the exchange (or higher up the topology). PPP outages that last approximately 20 minutes are frustratingly common, the train/handshake/loop thing just seems to be this router. There have been no other changes made on the property to telephony & the land line doesn't have any noise. I'll try to dig up a spare filter to switch out & test to be sure but again, I think that was tied to the second router being screwy.

EDIT: oh god, send help, I can't look away
    Last edited by Sparq; March 25 2014 at 06:16:00 AM.

TIL about grinfucking
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Second 5.15am start... urgg
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Update.

My week is not a good one.
    Two technical staff out, one on sick leave one on compassionate, one out on site doing installs, one manager at other side of country, other out of office for personal reasons.

That leaves me, and me, and me.

EvE: Danny John-Peter
    Everything Else: Sharptoast