hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this forum really needed any more?

I don't think this subforum needs to exist. As I see it, the "thread quality" is not really different from rest of the forum.

I politely disagree. (See, that's the difference )

There's less cursing, name calling and "You!" ... "No, you!" going on in the threads here.

Overall, I'd argue that there is less of anything going on in the threads here. But of course I see what you mean and you are right. Insults are fewer and are delivered in more subtle ways in here.

Personally, I think that usually the level of discourse is too much "high school debating club" to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post

That was a suggestion when the subforum was first created, IIRC Sofia nixed it because it was 'too much work'.

-O
    Except that's not what I said at all. The reason this place is set up as a whitelist rather than a blacklist is because it acts as an entry barrier to people wanting to post. Applications are made because people understand and wish to comply with the differing code of conduct that this subforum enforces, and allows for notable consequence should the poster fail to meet those.

Yes it requires administration, but it proved to be an effective way to reducing the amount of moderation that the subforum required. If I'd gone with a blacklist then I would have either had to ban people, which wasn't a suitable punishment, or infract people multiple times which allowed for gaming of the system.

Either way, don't put words in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by GiDiYi View Post

On topic: It's a bit dusty in here. Besides: Does Soffl still handle the invites at all? I haven't seen him in a while.
    That was handed over to Spasm I stopped being a moderator overall. Suffice to say he's atrocious at keeping up with the applications and makes no effort to bring content to the subforum, but I never really had high hopes for him in the first place.

I'd reluctantly administrate this place again as I can see the potential even now, but you'd have to make that case to EntroX as I'm certainly not going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

Turns out that I still have access to allow access to this group, who knew?

I've processed everyone that had applied, bar MrBananaKing because fuck that guy.

Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post

I've processed everyone that had applied, bar MrBananaKing because fuck that guy.
    By the way, your Inbox is full.

I sent you a thank you note but it wouldn't let me.

Have a plus-rep instead.

Can we stop quackbot's oh so funny posting here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte View Post
    Can we stop quackbot's oh so funny posting here?
    Unfortunately no.

Oh hey, I can post here now.

This forum kinda failed but someone said they wanted to debate something in here about cognitive science so I applied.

Honestly I found this forum pointless because it wasn't being moderated enough. If it's gonna be serious business, people need to be booted for shitting up threads, and they weren't. If it's not gonnna be heavily moderated, remove the whole opt-in bullshit and make it public. Then you can just infract more heavily if people shit it up. Forget banning people from this forum specifically: If someone joins srs bsnss and shits it up, treat it like a pony infraction in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Oh hey, I can post here now.

This forum kinda failed but someone said they wanted to debate something in here about cognitive science so I applied.

Honestly I found this forum pointless because it wasn't being moderated enough. If it's gonna be serious business, people need to be booted for shitting up threads, and they weren't. If it's not gonnna be heavily moderated, remove the whole opt-in bullshit and make it public. Then you can just infract more heavily if people shit it up. Forget banning people from this forum specifically: If someone joins srs bsnss and shits it up, treat it like a pony infraction in general.
    I'd fully agree if that moderation style wasn't anathema to what EntroX envisions.

In many ways you're damned if you do and damned if you don't; considering the options available to you a whitelist is more effective.

If you consider a stagnant forum nobody gives a shit about more effective, sure.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Your argument is pretty poor considering you've got people asking why they can't post in there.

Your argument is pretty poor considering you've got people asking why they can't post in there.
    Yeah, maybe.

THE PUNISHED
    That was handed over to Spasm I stopped being a moderator overall. Suffice to say he's atrocious at being a mod
    fyp

Except that's not what I said at all. The reason this place is set up as a whitelist rather than a blacklist is because it acts as an entry barrier to people wanting to post. Applications are made because people understand and wish to comply with the differing code of conduct that this subforum enforces, and allows for notable consequence should the poster fail to meet those.

Yes it requires administration, but it proved to be an effective way to reducing the amount of moderation that the subforum required. If I'd gone with a blacklist then I would have either had to ban people, which wasn't a suitable punishment, or infract people multiple times which allowed for gaming of the system.

Either way, don't put words in my mouth.
    My apologies, I honestly remember at some point you saying it would be too much work. You may very well have been summarizing the above points more succintly.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Make me mod of this forum. winwin

THE PUNISHED
    what about now?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Yes, it's still needed.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

God damn it, I just reread this necro. Thought it sounded familiar.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang