hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Is this forum really needed any more?

  1. #21
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    1,114
    I don't think this subforum needs to exist. As I see it, the "thread quality" is not really different from rest of the forum.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    I politely disagree. (See, that's the difference )

    There's less cursing, name calling and "You!" ... "No, you!" going on in the threads here.

  3. #23
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    1,114
    Overall, I'd argue that there is less of anything going on in the threads here. But of course I see what you mean and you are right. Insults are fewer and are delivered in more subtle ways in here.

    Personally, I think that usually the level of discourse is too much "high school debating club" to be useful.

  4. #24
    Donor Sofia Roseburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post

    That was a suggestion when the subforum was first created, IIRC Sofia nixed it because it was 'too much work'.

    -O
    Except that's not what I said at all. The reason this place is set up as a whitelist rather than a blacklist is because it acts as an entry barrier to people wanting to post. Applications are made because people understand and wish to comply with the differing code of conduct that this subforum enforces, and allows for notable consequence should the poster fail to meet those.

    Yes it requires administration, but it proved to be an effective way to reducing the amount of moderation that the subforum required. If I'd gone with a blacklist then I would have either had to ban people, which wasn't a suitable punishment, or infract people multiple times which allowed for gaming of the system.

    Either way, don't put words in my mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by GiDiYi View Post

    On topic: It's a bit dusty in here. Besides: Does Soffl still handle the invites at all? I haven't seen him in a while.
    That was handed over to Spasm I stopped being a moderator overall. Suffice to say he's atrocious at keeping up with the applications and makes no effort to bring content to the subforum, but I never really had high hopes for him in the first place.

    I'd reluctantly administrate this place again as I can see the potential even now, but you'd have to make that case to EntroX as I'm certainly not going to.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

  5. #25
    Donor Sofia Roseburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    4,078
    Turns out that I still have access to allow access to this group, who knew?

    I've processed everyone that had applied, bar MrBananaKing because fuck that guy.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    August 5, 2013
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post
    Turns out that I still have access to allow access to this group, who knew?

    I've processed everyone that had applied, bar MrBananaKing because fuck that guy.
    By the way, your Inbox is full.

    I sent you a thank you note but it wouldn't let me.

    Have a plus-rep instead.

  7. #27
    Donor TheManFromDelmonte's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,651
    Can we stop quackbot's oh so funny posting here?

  8. #28
    Donor Sofia Roseburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte View Post
    Can we stop quackbot's oh so funny posting here?
    Unfortunately no.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

  9. #29
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post
    Turns out that I still have access to allow access to this group, who knew?

    I've processed everyone that had applied, bar MrBananaKing because fuck that guy.
    Oh hey, I can post here now.

    This forum kinda failed but someone said they wanted to debate something in here about cognitive science so I applied.

    Honestly I found this forum pointless because it wasn't being moderated enough. If it's gonna be serious business, people need to be booted for shitting up threads, and they weren't. If it's not gonnna be heavily moderated, remove the whole opt-in bullshit and make it public. Then you can just infract more heavily if people shit it up. Forget banning people from this forum specifically: If someone joins srs bsnss and shits it up, treat it like a pony infraction in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  10. #30
    Donor Sofia Roseburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Oh hey, I can post here now.

    This forum kinda failed but someone said they wanted to debate something in here about cognitive science so I applied.

    Honestly I found this forum pointless because it wasn't being moderated enough. If it's gonna be serious business, people need to be booted for shitting up threads, and they weren't. If it's not gonnna be heavily moderated, remove the whole opt-in bullshit and make it public. Then you can just infract more heavily if people shit it up. Forget banning people from this forum specifically: If someone joins srs bsnss and shits it up, treat it like a pony infraction in general.
    I'd fully agree if that moderation style wasn't anathema to what EntroX envisions.

    In many ways you're damned if you do and damned if you don't; considering the options available to you a whitelist is more effective.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

  11. #31
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,015
    If you consider a stagnant forum nobody gives a shit about more effective, sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  12. #32
    Donor Sofia Roseburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    4,078
    Your argument is pretty poor considering you've got people asking why they can't post in there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

  13. #33
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post
    Your argument is pretty poor considering you've got people asking why they can't post in there.
    Yeah, maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  14. #34
    THE PUNISHED
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fuck UngoodTuesdays
    Posts
    10,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post
    That was handed over to Spasm I stopped being a moderator overall. Suffice to say he's atrocious at being a mod
    fyp

  15. #35
    Ophichius's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    Hedonistic Imperative
    Posts
    5,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post
    Except that's not what I said at all. The reason this place is set up as a whitelist rather than a blacklist is because it acts as an entry barrier to people wanting to post. Applications are made because people understand and wish to comply with the differing code of conduct that this subforum enforces, and allows for notable consequence should the poster fail to meet those.

    Yes it requires administration, but it proved to be an effective way to reducing the amount of moderation that the subforum required. If I'd gone with a blacklist then I would have either had to ban people, which wasn't a suitable punishment, or infract people multiple times which allowed for gaming of the system.

    Either way, don't put words in my mouth.
    My apologies, I honestly remember at some point you saying it would be too much work. You may very well have been summarizing the above points more succintly.

    -O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

  16. #36
    Sacul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    5,865
    Make me mod of this forum. winwin

  17. #37
    THE PUNISHED
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fuck UngoodTuesdays
    Posts
    10,377
    what about now?

  18. #38
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    7,350
    Yes, it's still needed.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  19. #39
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,742
    God damn it, I just reread this necro. Thought it sounded familiar.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •