hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this forum really needed any more?

THE PUNISHED

Is this forum really needed any more?

Three of the top 5 posted threads are from last year. Does anyone even bother with it?

Just integrate it back in general tbh.

There's no real enforcement anymore. Technically the Austerity and 1984 threads should be up here but it's more entertaining to watch people meltdown.

I'm a huge fan of this section and very sad to see it's decline. I liked having a place where people posted their actual opinions with as little trolling as possible.

One fan does not a community make, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    I'm a huge fan of this section and very sad to see it's decline. I liked having a place where people posted their actual opinions with as little trolling as possible.

One fan does not a community make, though.
    What would people as enlightened as ourselves have to argue about?

I think an issue with the forum seems to be the opt in mechanism, many people can just not access it. I noticed alot of space non game related posting spread across the forum, so generally my impression was this was a topic of interest. When you notice people dont pick up on topics they seem to have interest in, I believe access may be a reason why acceptance is low.
    Maybe it can be rekindled with removing the opt in access rules and just making it a forum with stronger moderation plus a system where trolling will get to access removal.
    I like the fact that we have a section where russianpropaganda, lolcats and anime are less frequent, after all most people in the forum age +1 annually, so topics beyond 12yr old interests become more relevant over time.

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    I think an issue with the forum seems to be the opt in mechanism, many people can just not access it. I noticed alot of space non game related posting spread across the forum, so generally my impression was this was a topic of interest. When you notice people dont pick up on topics they seem to have interest in, I believe access may be a reason why acceptance is low.
    Maybe it can be rekindled with removing the opt in access rules and just making it a forum with stronger moderation plus a system where trolling will get to access removal.
    I like the fact that we have a section where russianpropaganda, lolcats and anime are less frequent, after all most people in the forum age +1 annually, so topics beyond 12yr old interests become more relevant over time.
    So make it a group by default, then, and be removed from the group if you screw up?

That'd be fine with me (not that my opinion matters lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    So make it a group by default, then, and be removed from the group if you screw up?

That'd be fine with me (not that my opinion matters lol).
    That was a suggestion when the subforum was first created, IIRC Sofia nixed it because it was 'too much work'.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Donor
    A lot of threads would be better off here. The Crimea thread, for example.

Any rules about having such a thread here for the non-douchebags and leave the other one active for wanking over who has the more hipster artillery?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Griffin View Post

Any rules about having such a thread here for the non-douchebags and leave the other one active for wanking over who has the more hipster artillery?
    Not as far as I know. Then again I'm not sure we even have a mod here anymore. Go ahead and post it, worst case nobody shows up for it, best case we get an information-dense version of the Ukraine thread.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post

Not as far as I know. Then again I'm not sure we even have a mod here anymore. Go ahead and post it, worst case nobody shows up for it, best case we get an information-dense version of the Ukraine thread.

-O
    +1

-R

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator
    I can mod it but I don't think I can remove people (or add).

Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the love it would require.

Quote Originally Posted by Hast View Post
    I can mod it but I don't think I can remove people (or add).

Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the opression it would require.
    fyp

Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the love it would require.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the opression it would require.
    fyp
    Replacing one word with a synonym is not fixing a post in my book.

On topic: It's a bit dusty in here. Besides: Does Soffl still handle the invites at all? I haven't seen him in a while.

Donor
    I think the "initially open to everyone, but remove the idiots" concept would work well and would require the least amount of work for our loyal Forum Overlords. As long as there's a pretty short and clear set of rules for people to follow there shouldn't be much drama when someone does get removed from the group.

I'd be happy to act as a moderator in conjunction with a few others if we need another body doing that work, just let me know.

I think the "initially open to everyone, but remove the idiots"
    Did you forget which forum you are on?

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I think the "initially open to everyone, but remove the idiots"
    Did you forget which forum you are on?
    Nope, but people seem to be able to more or less follow the rules in other sections of the forum (Recruitment, Marketplace, etc.). I know that people here like to claim that everyone is an obnoxious aspie prick, but strangely they seem to be able to behave when it's part of the rules. Most people here aren't as retarded as they let on.

People have been flagged and removed from this forum section in the past for douchebaggery. So it's not like it can't be done.

The issue is the lack of content. The topics here were either moved or posted by someone and they snowballed. But there was a LOT less weight given to emotional pleas and more paid to information with studies or some peer review items. The gun thread was probably 3x as long as it should have been but that's only because we often had to rehash talking points that were already covered earlier on. I remember at only point looking through the pages trying to find a study I linked to show someone and just say "fuck it" after 10pg of searching and gave up.

If you want this subsection to be revitalized you only need to post some questions. Also, any "So xxxx....." threads about major social events could go there. I mean if you wanted to kick it off, the whole "Government requiring religious institutions to pay for contraceptives that the government itself acknowledges may (not "does" just "may") abort a fertilized egg" is about to hit the Supreme Court.

I think the "everyone has access but remove retards" is a good idea. But I don't think it would solve anything. At best we would end up with similar threads both in here and in General chat.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    SB has less snarky comments and derailing than GC, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. That said, I'm in favor of a blacklist approach as opposed to a whitelist.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Apparently there are still people waiting to join the group.

Who can approve them?