hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3441424344

Thread: Dungeons And Dragons Style Tabletop Games

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    2nd session went well few no shows and 2 new pllayers so it balanced out well.
    Tank had to go early and tried to jump off a moving barge stacked it and fell in a river wearing armour rather than have him drown i dues exed it abit and had one of the baddies drag him from the river and kidnap him and then it went off on a massive tangent after he left including the most brutal interigation by a lawful good cleric ive ever seen that including letting the barbarian smash the guys bollocks then cast cure wounds on them and do it again XD. Then they ended up using a wild shaped druid who had turned into a rat as a UAV by getting the muscle to lob her onto a roof XD. Then i flashbanged the lot of them and they are going to wake up in prison cus im sick of their shit its shanking time.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    2nd session went well few no shows and 2 new pllayers so it balanced out well.
    Tank had to go early and tried to jump off a moving barge stacked it and fell in a river wearing armour rather than have him drown i dues exed it abit and had one of the baddies drag him from the river and kidnap him and then it went off on a massive tangent after he left including the most brutal interigation by a lawful good cleric ive ever seen that including letting the barbarian smash the guys bollocks then cast cure wounds on them and do it again XD. Then they ended up using a wild shaped druid who had turned into a rat as a UAV by getting the muscle to lob her onto a roof XD. Then i flashbanged the lot of them and they are going to wake up in prison cus im sick of their shit its shanking time.
    Deck of many things -> take away all their magic items....

I think the only time I'd ever give a party a deck of many things is if they were also running Tomb of Horrors, there are so many stories of it just ruining campaigns that I'd have to do it when not using their real characters or in some sort of illusion world using tomb as the back drop.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    I think the only time I'd ever give a party a deck of many things is if they were also running Tomb of Horrors, there are so many stories of it just ruining campaigns that I'd have to do it when not using their real characters or in some sort of illusion world using tomb as the back drop.
    Nah mate, we had it in the middle of a fairly progressed campaign, and it only improved everything. I think the DM changed it a little bit, and he obviously used it to remove one character of a leaving player, but still if you work with the downsides as a party, its not so bad.

Any recommendations for an easy to learn TT-RPG for kids (7-10yo)?

D&D with house rules was my first idea but perhaps something like that is around already.

Fantasy preferred but not that important really.

Sent from my Metal using Tapatapatatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post

D&D with house rules was my first idea but perhaps something like that is around already.

My little Pony RPG called Tales of Equestria.

That is actually a serious suggestion:
    https://rpggeek.com/thread/1854291/first-rpg

However it's obviously very girly though.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Tapapapatalk
    does this count for a pony infraction?

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

Tapapapatalk
    The kids would play that but I am for sure not DMing it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

Tapapapatalk
    The kids would play that but I am for sure not DMing it.

Numenera is relatively simplified, DnD 5e.

Or simply don't use a system, make it an interactive story, reward the kids for creative problem solving, and use dice to generate results. Need only three result tables for your dice of choice: Easy task, normal, & hard.

f.e. D6, normal task: 1-2 failure, 3-4, moderate succes, 5-6 critical succes. For easy & hard shift table up or down one point as apropriate.

Most of all don't soil those brilliant creative minds with such silly things as rules, lore or things they cannot do. Just use a setting to get some inspiration.
    Last edited by Torashuu; November 7 2017 at 01:39:02 PM.

Spoke to a friend/colleague who does RPG in a youth club as a form of maths tutoring that isn't regular class.

He recommended Numenera, he's had great success both in acceptance by the kids as well as how it improved math scores as well. He used to play Das Schwarze Auge 5th edition, but dropped it because Numenera is far more appropriate.
    (Das Schwarze Auge is available in English in its current edition http://ulisses-us.com/thedarkeye/ )

He's also going to play Tales of Equestria with both his kids but also our Shadowrun group "for the lulz" (all the others work at the youth club, I work at the local comprehensive school).

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Numenera it is in that case.

Free-form RPG canīt hold them long. They rather go and play LEGO and design their own story if we dont have some structure and chars and stuff.

Numenera it is in that case.

Free-form RPG canīt hold them long. They rather go and play LEGO and design their own story if we dont have some structure and chars and stuff.
    Wait, you're Austrian, right?

Check the new 5th edition DSA. Use the base book at the start then go to town as they grow up with it. Tons of extra material around, the new edition is 'dumbed down' heavily (imho, I liked the autistic 4.1, no surprise, right?) and for you the GM you get massive amounts of ready made adventures and maps and so on. Less of a world to create your own things in, but so rich that you don't need a lot of preparation (most big cities have maps, locales, people already made, no need to make stuff up, good if you're strapped for time).

Plus it isn't exclusively geared towards combat (though 5 is a bit more combat oriented than 4 it seems), but Numenera isn't really either compared to D&D etc.
    nevar forget

Got DSA in the mail today. Gonna try to play 2-3 tutorial games with the kiddos this and next week.

Found one online already with ready made characters and everything.
    6 page char-sheets, fucking hell. Letīs see how this works out.

Got DSA in the mail today. Gonna try to play 2-3 tutorial games with the kiddos this and next week.

Found one online already with ready made characters and everything.
    6 page char-sheets, fucking hell. Letīs see how this works out.
    You don't need the six pages. That includes the pages for the mage and cleric as well. It's a general character sheet with skills and one with the combat stuff. And you can run adventures without any combat easily in DSA.

PM me if you need help, I'll be back home tomorrow and will have the fifth edition rule book there.

Also I hope you got the A5 sized pocket version (because it's easier to pack and cheaper).

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget