http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Dw ... ising.html

i need to find the whq rules and go from there i think
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

Smuggo
    Me and a few friends have decided to take hardcore nerding to the next level after getting a bit bored of MtG recently and play some D&D. I'm looking at the 4e core books on eBay at the moment as they're pretty cheap, though some sites I've read are recommending I get D&D Essentials as it's better for beginners. It seems like it might be good for a first adventure or two but then I'd need to get the other books.

So, anyone used either of these and got any recommendations on which to get?

Found my figures box - 400 D&D minis

First played D&D back in 1980 - shit.

4e was ok, the complaints about it are well documented (severe limitations in the name of balance), 3.5 isn't as easy to learn but gives you a lot more flexibility. 5th ed should be coming someday?

Smuggo
    Yes I saw 5e is expected at some point. I was thinking we could play some 4e to get a feel for it then move to the new edition if/when it arrives. None of us has played for at least 15 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Yes I saw 5e is expected at some point. I was thinking we could play some 4e to get a feel for it then move to the new edition if/when it arrives. None of us has played for at least 15 years or so.
    in that case forget about dnd and try something fun instead like 7th sea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Sea...-playing_game)

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=90_380

skip DnD, go with Pathfinder.

Its basically DnD 3.5 with most of the bad shit removed. 4e is still a tabletop version of an MMO, only it cant be massive, and is for people who dont do maths. Its good for non-nerds to get into tabletop. You post on FHC.

(http://paizo.com/pathfinder)

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    skip DnD, go with Pathfinder.

Its basically DnD 3.5 with most of the bad shit removed. 4e is still a tabletop version of an MMO, only it cant be massive, and is for people who dont do maths. Its good for non-nerds to get into tabletop. You post on FHC.

(http://paizo.com/pathfinder)
    Well, several of the people playing larp so we are definitely nerds. Might get the beginner box and see what it's like.

Fuck 4 with a rusty rake any other edition is better house rules even better.

Right now me and a couple old buddies that used to play a bunch of 3.5e together get together once a week and do a voip Dresden files session. I've found Dresden files to be pretty fun, but it is really big on the RP aspect and not nearly as much on the min/maxing aspect. I've had alot of fun playing and it is quite nice how the mechanics make it super easy to figure out how to start RPing.

3.5 and OGL suck.
    4e much more playable but really suggest staying away from anything running those rule sets (they do not help having fun just maximum Nerdness) starting RP i would suggest something that is funny and easy to goof around helps ease people into the roleplaying thing with out stress / embarrassment. Try running a few sessions of paranoia

And if you really need a rules system for running more serious stuff mongoose traveller is a great system.
    Last edited by Tailn; March 7 2013 at 09:06:49 AM.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    3.5 and OGL suck.
    4e much more playable but really suggest staying away from anything running those rule sets (they do not help having fun just maximum Nerdness) starting RP i would suggest something that is funny and easy to goof around helps ease people into the roleplaying thing with out stress / embarrassment.
    Like I say, most of the people I'm playing with do LARP so there'll be no embarrassment. It's just organising and paying for LARP is a massive pain in the arse, especially since a few of the guys have kids now so it would probably be easier to organise playing table top.

Anyway, I think I'll get the Pathfinder box set for our first adventure, then if that goes smoothly I'll get the full core rulebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    3.5 and OGL suck.
    4e much more playable but really suggest staying away from anything running those rule sets (they do not help having fun just maximum Nerdness) starting RP i would suggest something that is funny and easy to goof around helps ease people into the roleplaying thing with out stress / embarrassment.
    Like I say, most of the people I'm playing with do LARP so there'll be no embarrassment. It's just organising and paying for LARP is a massive pain in the arse, especially since a few of the guys have kids now so it would probably be easier to organise playing table top.

Anyway, I think I'll get the Pathfinder box set for our first adventure, then if that goes smoothly I'll get the full core rulebook.
    Sorry it was more of a generalised way, stopped LARPing myself a few years ago due to lack of funds as well, but seriously I have never really enjoyed playing 3.5 i find you get very little in the way of role play having to focus so much on the rules, even fight descriptions die and are boiled down to i use this feat (moves mini and rolls dice). Not saying you still can't have a great game with memorable stuff happening and moments of great RP between players but the system really does just take over every thing.

Tried 4e for a few sessions and it wasn't for me, felt a lot like playing an MMO in combat. Much prefer 3.5 and recently finished a campaign run by multiple GMs, got a new one starting soon run by a reasonably new GM which might be fun.

oWoD was fun when we played that a while back, haven't tried nWoD but some others have and like it. Scion was good but ended up with a good mix if house rules to make it work better.

Similar to above, poor experience with 4e. Currently running 3.5 with some houserules and Pathfinder stuff. 5e (Next) is available for free as betatest (Register and you get all relevant stuff) even though pretty basic seems to be going in the right direction which is nice.

In the last ~20 years, shit I'm old, I have GMd

Fantasy:
    D&D 1st, 2nd and 3.5 ED. Take 3.5 if you want to go the D&D road as it is more forgiving and better system. Lookup some old video games for modules and to get easy inspiration for a good story: like Icewind Dale.
    In case you are ready to jump away for classic Tolkien fantasy I can only recommend Earthdawn : Badass trolls and Obsidianman, great and easy rules... much more easier than D&D and great for all kinds of stories from horror to hack and slash.
    Legend of the Five Rings : Samurai game with a drop of Japanese history from western viewpoint. Also great but needs more serious dedication from the players.

Ars Magica 5th edition is my current favourite (and gonna have a game session in 30 min :P ), it has never been easier to collect historical information. Over powerful Mages and their vassals try to survive in the Middle Ages.
    (It's kinda really the deepest level of fantasy nerdgasm.)

Current time games:
    All the old White Wolf - World of Darkness (oWoD) games are excellent, can be light hearted or damn dramatic. I do not recommend the new ones (nWoD).
    Mage:tA - fighting a war on the loosing side, start deep and becomes really dark.
    Vampire - To say something classy... I have finished Vampire:tM before bloodsuckers became mainstream. Anyway, it is a great game and the easiest to pick up and start with.
    Werewolf - Raaaaaagggggeeeeee, big hairy killing machines who are religious fanatics... btw their religion really works. Again it's easy to pick up start with but has deep depths.
    Orpheus and Changeling were too dark for my company to pick up.
    Call of Cthulhu: shit, you are a puny human in the world of gods. If you start to understand what's going on you go crazy. If they get the hint you are looking into their matters you are dead. Ultimate horror game, you can pick up the same named computer game to get the hang of it.

Futuristic games:
    Shadowrun is great and all and we even still play it, and the new versions are working nice and easy... if you are the nerd to pick up the rules.
    Cyberpunk is okay, but i didn't like the system.
    Star Wars tried played both the old d6 and d20 system... d6 was much much better and can still recommend. Both for quality and the depth those books game. Extremely easy and quick to pick up and start playing. Old d6 system had the right feel and d20 more like is more like Old Republic MMO...

Welcome to the pen and paper nerds.

if you want simple (and old. I mean you can only find this in second hand bookshops old), go look for the fighting fantasy multiplayer rules. Y'know, the old choose-your-own-adventure thing by steve jackson and ian livingstone.

roll up 3 stats and a name, PLAY GAEM. Its very good for new GMs, prevents any attempts to minmax (you rolled 12/24/12? no you didnt, roll where i can see it this time), and lets you put a load of interest into the character anyway. Also, combat is the easiest thing on the planet.

Rolling for stats instead of points?
    Oh god why

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Rolling for stats instead of points?
    Oh god why
    My group have always rolled stats (for dnd etc where needed), most can't seem to handle the concept of point buy for some reason.

Smuggo
    Have people played D20? One friend is banging on about it and he has the rulebook already. Seems to think it will be faster paced but still neckbeardy enough for us but I'm dubious.