that shit was pretty cash
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

Donor

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Style Tabletop Games

As a nerd-girl, I have been playing tabletop / pen-and-paper RPGs since about 5th grade. Haven't played much in the past few years because I live in a very player-desolate area.

Anyway. D&D 4e is a pretty solid choice for new players, but I've never liked it personally. It lacks a lot of of the intricacy of 3.5e (which I find interesting) and plays much like a tabletop MMO.

Pathfinder is like 3.5 on steroids. It seems a little too "OVER 9000!" in power level compared to 3.5, but a lot of the 3.5 players are moving to it.

Personally I enjoy vanilla 3.5 the most (core rules books and none of the crazy-ass prestige class insanity), with a few things borrowed from Pathfinder (namely the grappling mechanics; they're hell in 3.5, Pathfinder makes them much less painful).

The d20 system, which is what D&D 3.5 is based on, can be accessed for free at d20srd.org. The d20 SRD basically IS D&D 3.5. The Pathfinder SRD is also available online for free.

I'm also a huge fan of the (old) World of Darkness. The rules system is simple and easy to learn yet does the job, letting you focus more on story and plot than mechanics. Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Mage: The Ascension are both truly fantastic. I'm not a big fan of Vampire or Changeling.

Wraith: the Oblivion is very, very, very cool but you need a mature and experienced gaming group to run it. Each character has a "shadow" which is a self destructive alter-ago - and each character's shadow is played by another player. This can lead to a lot of petty crap if you have an immature group, but with bronies, it's actually awesome.

W:tA - Spiritual eco-warriors with claws fighting back corruption and decay.
    M:tA - Manipulators of reality fighting over the very nature of what reality is.
    W:tO - Can't quite let go of their former life, so they fight over an afterlife shit hole instead and continue to interact with the living world.

I have read through the Spirit of the Century rules, based on the Fate RPG system, which looks excellent if you want to encourage more role playing and less roll playing in your games. I haven't tried it, but it has a good following.

I have only played Call of Cthulhu twice. I saw the potential there and it could be a truly awesome game, but the two groups I played this with were pretty douchey and intentionally destroyed the sense of horror and suspense any chance they got. Which brings up another points...

RPGs are awesome, wicked fun - if you can find a good group to game with. If you're stuck in a small room that stinks of body odor and stale Doritos and some 500 pound pimply guy who is running a pre-made module and reads. it. word. for. word. like. this. then you should run far, far, far away and find someone else to play with.

Though not strictly on topic, there are some fantastic podcasts dedicates to RPGs. Here are the ones I listen to frequently:

HappyJacks - Irreverent, immature, and sometimes rambling from self-proclaimed douchebags, but that's part of the charm. The first 10-20 minutes is usually random bullshit, so you might want to fast forward to get to the meat of the show.

Fear the Boot - The polar opposite of Happy Jacks. Mature, generally PG, and they have specific topics in mind. Both are great though!

Shark Bone - Made in Las Vegas. They feature a movie in every podcast and draw inspiration from them for RPGs. Also contains general RPG content.

Narrative Control - These guys focus on story and how to tell that story in an interesting way.

3.5 Private Sanctuary - Dedicated to the D&D 3.5 ruleset. Short topical episodes, about 30-40 minutes long. They also have a Pathfinder dedicated podcast, Know Direction.

All of the podcasts listed above are active and generally produce new stuff every week or two, but if you find any of them interesting you should go back and listen to all previous shows. RPG advice doesn't grow stale like a news show might.

There's a lot more at RPG Podcasts, but the ones listed above are probably the cream of the crop. I've listened to almost all of the shows listed and a lot of them are terri-bad.

For PDFs: DriveThru RPG is the best. Yeah, you can torrent just about everything out there for free, but if you really get into the games you should buy the hardcover books (nothing beats an actual book) or the PDFs. They're not that expensive and the amount of enjoyment you can get out of the material over time is immense.

Edit: ENWorld is a good forum for anything RPG-related. Really nice community - which means the typical FHC resident will not feel very much at home, but there you go.

gonna buy a heroquest off ebay.

surely there are still heroquest style games in production?

also where do people get minis for dnd games?

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Fasces
    The official D&D minis that were produced for D&D 4e are no longer in production. It's really a shame - they weren't too expensive and the quality was good enough. You can find them in some stores but they're going quickly. You might have good luck buying lots of them on eBay and the like.

As for alternatives...

Reaper Miniatures are the best in terms of price and quality, but even then they're not cheap. You'll also have to paint them. I have done a few in the past, and it's fun, but it is such a gigantic pain in the ass when you need to paint 40 kobolds (as cute as they are).

Games Workshop also makes fantastic minis but the prices for the metal minis are truly rapetacular. Back when I played Warhammer you used to be able to buy boxes of unpainted, plastic minis and they weren't -too- awful.

I have ordered minis from Troll and Toad before. Shipping is pretty quick and the prices are good overall.

There is nothing quite like buying a nice miniature and pulling out the paint set and making something truly unique and awesome for your character. It takes time but it is time well spent.

If you're like me and you don't want to spend gobs of money and time on full miniatures you can use tokens instead. I love these and I'm a huge fan of them. Check DriveThru RPG for lots of people who sell paper token PDFs that you can print out. Usually you'll find that there are circular cut-out tokens, and long things that you fold into a triangle.

I like the circular tokens the most; I cut them out and paste them onto cheap metal washers that you can buy in bulk from any hardware store. The result are tokens that are easily moved across a mat but don't blow away when the window is open.

The money you save by using tokens can be put toward Reaper minis for player characters and special NPCs.

Also, note, that anything will work in a pinch. I've used bottle caps, coins, and other small things for human-sized creatures. For large things like dragons or giants - beer bottles, stuffed animals, markers, whatever.

It doesn't have to be beautiful, it just needs to work. Let your imagination do the rest.

hmmm since i have a buttload of various 40k armies has anyone tried the rpg styled 40k matches? deathwatch or something?

[quote=Andrea Griffin]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Lex Fasces":rwzztk0g
    The official D&D minis that were produced for D&D 4e are no longer in production. It's really a shame - they weren't too expensive and the quality was good enough. You can find them in some stores but they're going quickly. You might have good luck buying lots of them on eBay and the like.

As for alternatives...

Reaper Miniatures are the best in terms of price and quality, but even then they're not cheap. You'll also have to paint them. I have done a few in the past, and it's fun, but it is such a gigantic pain in the ass when you need to paint 40 kobolds (as cute as they are).

Games Workshop also makes fantastic minis but the prices for the metal minis are truly rapetacular. Back when I played Warhammer you used to be able to buy boxes of unpainted, plastic minis and they weren't -too- awful.

I have ordered minis from Troll and Toad before. Shipping is pretty quick and the prices are good overall.

There is nothing quite like buying a nice miniature and pulling out the paint set and making something truly unique and awesome for your character. It takes time but it is time well spent.

If you're like me and you don't want to spend gobs of money and time on full miniatures you can use tokens instead. I love these and I'm a huge fan of them. Check DriveThru RPG for lots of people who sell paper token PDFs that you can print out. Usually you'll find that there are circular cut-out tokens, and long things that you fold into a triangle.

I like the circular tokens the most; I cut them out and paste them onto cheap metal washers that you can buy in bulk from any hardware store. The result are tokens that are easily moved across a mat but don't blow away when the window is open.

The money you save by using tokens can be put toward Reaper minis for player characters and special NPCs.

Also, note, that anything will work in a pinch. I've used bottle caps, coins, and other small things for human-sized creatures. For large things like dragons or giants - beer bottles, stuffed animals, markers, whatever.

It doesn't have to be beautiful, it just needs to work. Let your imagination do the rest.[/quote:rwzztk0g]

moar posting like this. this is good.

and +1 to reaper minis being cool, i need to sort mine out. was tempted by some mantic minis because of the price

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU

Descent is rather good, with expansion sets it gains a campaign mode for additional fun. It's somewhat repetitive on the tactical side after a while, but might be a good start. It will also gives you miniatures and building tiles should you pick up any other fantasy pen & paper game.

Dungeons & Dragons 4.0 is a good choice for beginners. 3.5 isn't all that well balanced, but offers more depth as far as character building options are concerned. It's very easy to create a Diablo like experience (though I suppose Diablo creating a D&D like experience would be more correct) with this, so I'd heavily recommend it for you.

Shadowrun is cyberpunk + Tolkien. While it has a very cool background, it uses a different rule system than most classical D20 games and tends to be more complex and realistic, so probably not a beginner's choice. Since it works on various different levels (magic, cyberspace, physical) at the same time it's also very taxing for the DM. From my experience it tends to be more action packed, violent and deadly than other p&p games, but that might just have been our playing style. While most D&D campaigns lean toward doing a good deed, Shadowrun was mostly about selfish criminals with varying degrees of moral integrity (mostly none at all).

Vampires, that one should be gaining much popularity with the current Vampire fixation in other media. Only played it shortly as it used to be very heavy on the roleplaying side. It always had a kind of sandbox feeling to it, which was rather unnerving at the time.

I personally started playing The Dark Eye in its German version as my first pen&paper game. This has been ages ago and I can't really comment on the current rules, but it had a very fleshed out and detailed background, making this very beginner friendly for the DM. I'm not sure if this has been translated into English thoroughly though.

hmmm since i have a buttload of various 40k armies has anyone tried the rpg styled 40k matches? deathwatch or something?
    There's a shit lot of guys who play Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Deathwatch around here. Without going into details it's pretty good stuff.

Paranoia is the most lulz u can have with pen+paper RPG. Especially fun as GM since you basically aim to kill the players as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by balistic void
    Paranoia is the most lulz u can have with pen+paper RPG. Especially fun as GM since you basically aim to kill the players as much as possible.
    PARANOIA IS FUN. OTHER GAMES ARE NOT FUN. PLAY PARANOIA.

Only a commie traitor would have knowledge of non-fun RPGs!

Donor

absolutely no roleplaying at all lol that is just maximum faggotry.
    Role playing doesn't mean It just means that your character is more than some numbers on a piece of paper. Some motivation, a touch of history, a bit of personality. Even a small amount will add a lot to what would otherwise just be a mathematical exercise.

If you're just looking for a dungeon crawl you might want to consider The World's Largest Dungeon, though. I believe it is out of print, but you can find used copies of it. Or, just make your own never-ending dungeon crawl.

And I forgot to mention an old favorite, the very fun, completely non-serious, best-played-when-drinking, Kobolds Ate My Baby!

And then there is Munchkin, a card game that pokes fun of every nerd gamer stereotype you can think of, and then some.

I remember Talisman being fun. Dunno if there's a difference between the older versions and the latest one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygar Curele
    Who is Mintchip?
    She's Mintchip, you're you.
    Duh.

andrea is munchkin fun?

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by filingo
    andrea is munchkin fun?
    I've only played a dozen games or so, but I enjoyed it. You definitely need a good sense of humor and an RPG background helps to get the inside jokes. Otherwise you end up with a lot of "Why is this funny...?" Easy to learn, easy to play, entertaining, and doesn't take too long to play a game.

If I had some bronies near me that were into this kind of stuff I would not hesitate to drop the $25 and buy it. The only reason I don't is NE Ohio is a wasteland for gamers. :foreveralone: (we totally need a :foreveralone: icon. Speaking of, why is DiCaprio on here now? I totally missed that one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Griffin
    Quote Originally Posted by filingo
    andrea is munchkin fun?
    I've only played a dozen games or so, but I enjoyed it. You definitely need a good sense of humor and an RPG background helps to get the inside jokes. Otherwise you end up with a lot of "Why is this funny...?" Easy to learn, easy to play, entertaining, and doesn't take too long to play a game.

If I had some bronies near me that were into this kind of stuff I would not hesitate to drop the $25 and buy it. The only reason I don't is NE Ohio is a wasteland for gamers. :foreveralone: (we totally need a :foreveralone: icon. Speaking of, why is DiCaprio on here now? I totally missed that one.)
    Bunch of DnD/Munchkin/Warhammer peeps in and around Louisville if you're ever around.

Speaking of DnD/Munchkin. Absolutely love both, even though I'm still an inexperienced nub at both.

Played Ninja Munchkin and eventually ended up using the Cthullu deck to supplement. Epic hilarity.

We also, semi-regularly, play DnD 3.5. Last session had my gnome wizard scaring the shit out of a seemingly empty fort of dwarves with a combination of the gnome illusionary spells, which ended up creating something akin to a rave on their front gate. We sat in a bush 100ft away laughing maniacally while they popped four arrows into the paladin that was with me. Needless to say we didn't accomplish much other than having the group's elven rogue barter a donkey/cart for a good 15minutes, back in town, and the same rogue jumping into a bear's face and the subsequent decision to run-like-hell. We never actually accomplish much, but we always have the most random and hilarious things happen.

Another instance had myself as a half-orc barbarian and my cohort jumping a bar to steal liquor. This caused the group's good-aligned wizard to take action. By action I mean, he cast burning hands at us, which caused the bar behind us to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ygar Curele
    I remember Talisman being fun. Dunno if there's a difference between the older versions and the latest one.
    Talisman is still fun, the newer version comes with a bit better char balance. It's still mostly about chance though, so it's a good game to play when not entirely sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Ye Olde Speakinge is not roleplaying. \
    I DM DnD3.5, and had a player come back into the group. When I suggested that his ingame time away from the group having being brainswashed by the place he was, he agreed. Cue 'roleplaying' like that.

Creatures & Cultists was another fun card game I remember. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2242 ... s-cultists

hmm thinking about maybe trying to bodge together a warhammer quest set. friend used to have it when we were younger, looks like its a modernised (but toned down) advanced heroquest.

warhammer odds and sods are easy enough to come by and it sounds like fun.

i did go into the geek shop near me and talk to them a bit and then got bewildered by the number of games in there

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU