hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 44 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeons And Dragons Style Tabletop Games

Dungeons And Dragons Style Tabletop Games

So me and my friends enjoy playing things like warcraft and diablo at small LAN parties we have monthly. There is 4 of us possibly more and we also play things like risk (and halo wars risk which is p good actually).

I was thinking of taking it to the next level of nerdiness and trying out some tabletop shit. I used to play Heroquest a few years ago but never realy got into as much as i could have.

Thinking of getting a new box set off ebay or something and seeing if my friends enjoy it.

I do remember heroquest being stupidly simple though and the advanced heroquest being a bit much for someone who has never played a TT game before.

absolutely no roleplaying at all lol that is just maximum faggotry.

Reckon i should fork out 20 quid and get the standard heroquest for starters?

Re: TT DnD Games

DnD 4.0 is pretty much designed for people stepping from computer games to TT.
    Pretty simple choice selection, and the equivalent of 'push button' powers.

You might want to take a closer look, peek through the core rulebooks and see if it's what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by stormyfs-shitpoastin
    DnD 4.0 is pretty much designed for people stepping from computer games to TT.
    Pretty simple choice selection, and the equivalent of 'push button' powers.

You might want to take a closer look, peek through the core rulebooks and see if it's what you're after.
    i have personally played 40k and wh fantasy for 12+ years so i will most likely be the dungeon master. the players controlling the heroes have little to no experience. i wanna create a decent rpg quest based thingy with xp and gold so there is character development.

gonna check out dnd 4 now then.

cheers!

heroquest looks very simple and apparently a better alternative is warhammer quest which looks almost exactly the same.

edit:

http://dnd4.com/release

woah that is alot of stuff and it is constantly being updated as well.

looks promising. might try and torrent some of the rulebooks to have a looksie before i blow 200 quid =p

edit2:

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons- ... 0786948205

cheap and good!

i assume it comes with no models or anything? (my mum literally has her weight in old school DnD figures so that wont be a problem)

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Style Tabletop Games

Never played DnD, in my early teens i played Middle Earth Role Playing instead and it used to be pretty good, not looked into it for years though so not sure if the books are even still available? might be worth a look though?

Same, used to play HQ (heavily adapted) with my brothers, bough this for our next get together at christmas. I'll read it and familiarise myself before the.

from what I can tell it's less board-based than HQ is
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    Can we get Calmdown to
    no we cannot

There are a couple of DnD board games (slightly simplified 4e on a board, as I understand), and they've gotten pretty solid reviews, especially from the perspective of those who haven't done the full-on RPG-with-books-and-shit thing. Here's one.
    Domination.
    Vote Lark for CSM

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Fasces
    i wanna create a decent rpg quest based thingy with xp and gold so there is character development.

Descent is fucking great. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1722 ... n-the-dark

Pretty easy to pick up (rules are a good combination of simple, but with depth), doesn't require massive amounts of geek knowkledge (DnD) to get the most out of it. 1 player is the 'overlord' (think Dungeon keeper) and he plays against all the other players trying to stop them completing the dungeon. I love playing as overlord, giving them an easy time in the early stages and saving my rescources, until they can almost taste the end then suddenly "AAARGGH TRAPS EVERYWHERE, FUCK THE LIGHTS HAVE GONE OUT, WTF IS THAT CREATURE?!?!" *everyone dead*

good times.

has quite a big community too with player created content and stuff if that's your thing, and good support (frequent FAQs as balance issues crop up). can play a campaign (which lasts months tbh, still never finished one as we've the attention span of a goldfish), or a single scenario... the scenarios are actually more fun imo.

also theres:

game of thrones - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6472 ... of-thrones we've bought it, but i've not played it yet
    runewars - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/59294/runewars runewars is the 'descent' world, but instead of dungeon crawling it's conquest. so sort of DnD meets risk. good fun and more casual (games don't last as long). recommend it.

[quote=Lucifer Fellblade]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Lex Fasces":2mxpzi9m
    i wanna create a decent rpg quest based thingy with xp and gold so there is character development.

[/quote:2mxpzi9m]

i mean no tally ho brethern thine light will save the day crap.

Both come with figurines, board and spellcards (much ala Heroquest), and are inspired on Dn

To be honest, DnD4 is at the same powerlevel. Check the "essentials" line. With one or both books "Heroes of Forgotten/Fallen Land", and maybe the monster book. This should be enough to begin if you already have board and figurines. You can find premade adventures and real plays on the web.

You also could try Gamma World (pen and pencil plus cards, no board/figurines):
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...4wall/20101222

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar

I used to play the Star Wars one. But I'm a massive nerd so whatever.

found castle ravenloft too simplistic and a bit boring tbh.

Ye Olde Speakinge is not roleplaying. Character development is roleplaying. That said, here are some games you should try out or at least read about, in more genres than just D&

Savage Worlds, (Similar to D&D, but more generalisable beyond fantasy adventures)
    Shadowrun, (cyberpunk gun-toting corporate pawns, only also with magic)
    Eclipse Phase, (crazy-high technology transhumanism)
    Mutants and Masterminds, (Comic-book superheroes)
    Pathfinder, (A heavily hacked version of the more tactically complex 3rd Ed D&D rules)
    Leverage, (Heist movies, based on a TV show but intended to be general)
    Diaspora. (relatively hard sci-fi space adventure. Intended for "crew of a free trader" kinds of games)

Welcome to the deep end of the nerd pool!

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Ye Olde Speakinge is not roleplaying. Character development is roleplaying. That said, here are some games you should try out or at least read about, in more genres than just D&

Savage Worlds, (Similar to D&D, but more generalisable beyond fantasy adventures)
    Shadowrun, (cyberpunk gun-toting corporate pawns, only also with magic)
    Eclipse Phase, (crazy-high technology transhumanism)
    Mutants and Masterminds, (Comic-book superheroes)
    Pathfinder, (A heavily hacked version of the more tactically complex 3rd Ed D&D rules)
    Leverage, (Heist movies, based on a TV show but intended to be general)
    Diaspora. (relatively hard sci-fi space adventure. Intended for "crew of a free trader" kinds of games)

Welcome to the deep end of the nerd pool!
    never realised there were so many variants!

i have lost alot of the stuff from my heroquest files so am gonna try and torrent a rule book and spells, whilst using the board from a DnD lich king quest thing.

i dont wanna spend money and find out no one wants to play!

There are about a million million pen-and-paper RPGs. They span from the heavy, simulationist "plot the path of each bullet with a graphing calculator" to the light, narrative "describe the random cool shit you did and if everyone else thinks it's cool you're good". I do recommend torrenting a bunch of rulebooks so you can figure out what's going on, but when you're around a table it's much easier to have an actual flesh-and-blood book than a PDF. Well, unless everyone has iPads or something and can be trusted to not just play Angry Birds when it's someone else's turn.

It's a fun hobby, good luck with it. There's a relatively large community of p&p nerds over at forum.rpg.net, there's usually something interesting being discussed over there, with both a D&D forum and an "everything else" one.

so i torrented the basic heroquest rulebook. turns out it comes with all the floorplans and everything. also comes with cutout basic models to use (lol i know) so am gonna print this crap out and just work through the heroquest quest book first to see how things go.

You could do what I did and create your own.

There are some good ye'oldee PnPs out there - Gammaworld for some mutant post-apocolyptic mahem, Call of the Cthulu where all your players slowly go mad, or Paranoia where the players serve a mad AI as well as a secret society and each has secret orders to kill the others.

Back in ye olden days when I actually played these things, this was my favorite RPG system and setting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuneQuest

+1 for Call of Cthulu or Paranoia. Amusing and fun, without the men in tights prancing around overtones of the fantasy stuff.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian
    Call of the Cthulu where all your players slowly go mad, or Paranoia where the players serve a mad AI as well as a secret society and each has secret orders to kill the others.
    Both fantastic games that can run for a couple of sessions (had a cthulu char last all of 4 rounds a few months back) and dont need any massive campaign.
    Plus most PC gamers will feel more comfortable with the pace of them and the focus on in your face stuffrather than character dev and *RP*

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.