hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 162 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Star trek!

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    This is really sad but what a few friends and I did a few times, was play some vidya games, have some booze, all get on vent/TS/mumble and do a sci fi watching session. So somebody would pick an ep of something, distribute the link and everybody would press play at the same time! So we could all share in the epicness together or whichever show.Totally funny and incredibly geeky... i feel like one of those sessions now

I'd be game to do this - find a team speak server and we could do like an episode a week?

Not all episodes, as some were terrible but I could see:

Encounter at Farpoint (parts 1 and 2)
    Datalore
    Conspiracy
    The Neutral Zone
    Elementary, Dear Data
    The Measure of a Man
    Contagion
    Time Squared
    Q Who
    The Emissary
    Peak Performance
    Evolution
    The Survivors
    Who Watches the Watchers
    Booby Trap
    The Enemy
    The Defector
    Deja Q
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    The Offspring
    Sins of the Father
    Sarek
    The Best of Both Worlds (parts 1 and 2)
    Family
    Remember Me
    Reunion
    The Wounded
    clues
    first Contact
    The Nth Degree
    The Drumhead
    The Mind's Eye
    Redemption (parts 1 and 2)
    Darmok
    Ensign Ro
    silicon Avatar
    Unification (parts 1 and 2)
    Conundrum
    Ethics
    Cause and Effect
    I, Borg
    The Inner Light
    Relics
    True Q
    The Quality of Life
    Chain of Command (parts 1 and 2)
    Ship in a Bottle
    The Chase
    Suspicions
    Timescape
    Descent (parts 1 and 2)
    Gambit (parts 1 and 2)
    Parallels
    The Pegasus
    Bloodlines
    Preemptive Strike
    All Good Things... (parts 1 and 2)

These cover all of the main arcs in the series (the romulans, Worf and the High Council, Data's quest for humanity / android rights, most of Q, as long as standalone greats such as Conspiracy, Yesterday's Enterprise, and some of the time travel stuff) and would last long enough to cover 6 months lol.

If we get enough people doing it (even 4-5), could do it once a week or so at a pre-selected date and time... we could have one "dungeon master" per episode - they are the ones to look up information on the episode, to introduce it to the others and do the "countdown" to pressing play. For those that just want to watch it, they can mute for the 42 minutes, the others could have open comms and comment as it goes on - at the end, a Q&A or discussion for a little bit?

Have the recording of the team speak done, so ppl can download it as a commentary of the episode if they want?

sounds quite good fun, actually! Might bring some people together who'd otherwise never talk on this forum
    Last edited by Ralara; February 14 2014 at 08:48:19 AM.

Cause and Effect is the one this gif is from right?

Heard Frakes tell a story once about that script. Braga showed him the script and Frakes was like "This is a joke right? Where's the second act?"

Ship in a Bottle, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is one of my all-time favorites just for the wtf reveal. Anyway name a time and I'm there.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Sounds awesome!!

I would want to add a load of DS9 into the mix as well if people were up for it. I like a little bit of chatter during the episode but not people babbling all the way through.

Great idea though.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    This is really sad but what a few friends and I did a few times, was play some vidya games, have some booze, all get on vent/TS/mumble and do a sci fi watching session. So somebody would pick an ep of something, distribute the link and everybody would press play at the same time! So we could all share in the epicness together or whichever show.Totally funny and incredibly geeky... i feel like one of those sessions now

I'd be game to do this - find a team speak server and we could do like an episode a week?

Not all episodes, as some were terrible but I could see:

Encounter at Farpoint (parts 1 and 2)
    Datalore
    Conspiracy
    The Neutral Zone
    Elementary, Dear Data
    The Measure of a Man
    Contagion
    Time Squared
    Q Who
    The Emissary
    Peak Performance
    Evolution
    The Survivors
    Who Watches the Watchers
    Booby Trap
    The Enemy
    The Defector
    Deja Q
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    The Offspring
    Sins of the Father
    Sarek
    The Best of Both Worlds (parts 1 and 2)
    Family
    Remember Me
    Reunion
    The Wounded
    clues
    first Contact
    The Nth Degree
    The Drumhead
    The Mind's Eye
    Redemption (parts 1 and 2)
    Darmok
    Ensign Ro
    silicon Avatar
    Unification (parts 1 and 2)
    Conundrum
    Ethics
    Cause and Effect
    I, Borg
    Relics
    True Q
    The Quality of Life
    Chain of Command (parts 1 and 2)
    Ship in a Bottle
    The Chase
    Suspicions
    Timescape
    Descent (parts 1 and 2)
    Gambit (parts 1 and 2)
    Parallels
    The Pegasus
    Bloodlines
    Preemptive Strike
    All Good Things... (parts 1 and 2)

These cover all of the main arcs in the series (the romulans, Worf and the High Council, Data's quest for humanity / android rights, most of Q, as long as standalone greats such as Conspiracy, Yesterday's Enterprise, and some of the time travel stuff) and would last long enough to cover 6 months lol.

If we get enough people doing it (even 4-5), could do it once a week or so at a pre-selected date and time... we could have one "dungeon master" per episode - they are the ones to look up information on the episode, to introduce it to the others and do the "countdown" to pressing play. For those that just want to watch it, they can mute for the 42 minutes, the others could have open comms and comment as it goes on - at the end, a Q&A or discussion for a little bit?

Have the recording of the team speak done, so ppl can download it as a commentary of the episode if they want?

sounds quite good fun, actually! Might bring some people together who'd otherwise never talk on this forum
    I think you forgot "The Inner Light", which was probably one of the best TNG episodes (although it's potential long term consequences have never been explored in subsequent episodes which was a missed opportunity).

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Cause and Effect is the one this gif is from right?

Heard Frakes tell a story once about that script. He showed it to whichever producer, and got the response "This is a joke right? Where's the second act?"

Ship in a Bottle, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is one of my all-time favorites just for the wtf reveal. Anyway name a time and I'm there.
    It is indeed Cause and Effect

Ship in a Bottle was Moriarty's second episode I believe.

THE PUNISHED
    added the inner light

ya Ds9 and Voyager as well...

Not sure how to do this... do we want to start at the beginning on TNG and work upwards, chronologically (so DS9 would be allowed after season 6 of TNG?) or just at random? I'm good either way.

I'm half thinking we could release the MP3s for people to download after? Depends how much chatting we want in the episode. I know some people would be happy to babble throughout, others don't want any chat....

If it was done on Team Speak, could have three levels:

Level 1 (channel command) - babble all you want all the time
    Level 2 (normal voice) - can chat a bit, but can't hear the constant babble of the command channel
    Level 3 (mute) can't hear what anyone else is saying until the episode ends

That should allow for everyone to have the level of what they want?

As for the order of episodes, yeah either chonologically or we could do like a dice roll to determine who is the next dungeon master, and that dungeon master decides what episode it will be - then everyone needs to make sure they've got the episode in time and we're good to go?
    Last edited by Ralara; February 14 2014 at 08:56:13 AM.

I think something vaguely chronologically would be best, can move around a wee bit but showing Encounter at Farpoint followed by Way of the Warrior might be a bit confusing to newer viewers (if anybody is a newer viewer nowerdays). Would be cool if we could get people who were interested in but have never really watched trek to join. Even some of the more 'hipster' members of this forum

Regarding TS.. sounds good, not used it much but cool Im happy to go with.

If people don't have disks there are a bazillion streams and torrents for this stuff now anyway
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

THE PUNISHED
    It'd be nice to have the US and the UK peeps involved in this (and any aussies) so... not sure what date/time would be good?

I'd suggest a Saturday Night ... tomorrow is too soon I think - next saturday, 21:00 (22nd) ?

That should give me time to set up team speak and some sort of streaming thing, for those that want it?

I think something vaguely chronologically would be best, can move around a wee bit but showing Encounter at Farpoint followed by Way of the Warrior might be a bit confusing to newer viewers (if anybody is a newer viewer nowerdays). Would be cool if we could get people who were interested in but have never really watched trek to join. Even some of the more 'hipster' members of this forum

If people don't have disks there are a bazillion streams and torrents for this stuff now anyway
    There's always netflix too. Assuming it's roughly the same and they haven't prolonged fade to blacks etc.

I personally can't do the next two weekends at all (damn having a social life ) but if its good for anybody else Ralara go ahead and arrange it! Will join in when I can

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Greme View Post

There's always netflix too. Assuming it's roughly the same and they haven't prolonged fade to blacks etc.
    Netflix doesn't have TNG.

At least in Canadia it doesn't.

In any case half the point, I thought, was we'd be watching the remastered episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greme View Post

Netflix doesn't have TNG.

At least in Canadia it doesn't.

In any case half the point, I thought, was we'd be watching the remastered episodes.
    It does in the UK! Should be possible with a proxy. But yeah, it's definitely not the remastered episodes, so maybe not the best idea, sorry.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Well this turned out better than expected

Tapamong
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

Tapamong
    Come and watch it next Saturday

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Next episode, Bam!, back to normal and never mentioned again.
    And in Year of Hell, they literally reset everything at the end of the episode. Imagine if the season opened with Voyager basically fucked and they had to make do with what was left!
    I know, would have been so much more interesting. Having to recover the crew who had left in shuttles and escape pods, limping along, starfleet rules and regulations being ignored etc.. proper tension amongst the crew.. could have been brilliant tbh, start of a seasonal story arc where Janeway crosses the lines to protect her crew....

Could have been fantastic but :NOPELETSRESETTIMEINTHISBITOFTHEGALAXY: gayness
    Its interesting to note that some of the writers that would go on to work on BSG wanted this style of storytelling in Voyager, but it didn't fit the shiny, perfect future that Star Trek has to be and so were constantly shut out. IIRC, The Year of Hell was written by one of the BSG writers, but I can't seem to find confirmation of this factoid on memory alpha at the moment. I would personally love a much darker, more realistic Star Trek series. It doesn't have to abandon the ideals of the franchise wholesale, but there is a lot of dark, dark stories in the universe that have never been adequately told. Plus, you can basically toss out anything from TOS canon because its all a bunch of preachy cold war BS and not actually science fiction.

My only real request for such a series is to stay internally consistent. I really liked the direction DS9 took as it grew (besides the whole spaces Jesus part), but it ran into the classic Star Trek problem of having 9 main characters do everything. They command the station, and the Defiant, and later entire fleets from their tiny-ass combat frigate. Then you run into issues where every ship only does plot damage and has plot armor to take however much damage it should take for that scene. Combined, it led to really absurd situations in DS9 where the Defiant hit harder and took more damage than full-scale capital ships, complete with a cloaking device and far more maneuverability and less volume, all while commanded by a crew with limited real time on the platform, while also coordinating the actions of several hundred other ships.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

Tapamong
    Come and watch it next Saturday

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

im at work so its possible, you may even convert me.

To star trek obvs

Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    IIRC, The Year of Hell was written by one of the BSG writers, but I can't seem to find confirmation of this factoid on memory alpha at the moment.
    That's cos it wasn't; it was written by... dun dun dun... Brannon Bragga

He *did* want this sort of thing but the network demanded an episodic show. They wanted it so you could watch it in pretty much any order and it not matter.

Bragga gets a lot of flack (mostly for Threshold) but he certainly wasn't the worst. He got very lazy and gave up challenging the network after TNG. But he did want exactly that; STVOY like BSG.

Ronald D Moore (nBSG creator and writer) actually worked on DS9 as a head writer. He did 2 or 3 voyager episodes but left (to make BSG) because he couldn't stand the restrictions put in place.

I would liked to have seen a battle in the Dominion war with the Enterprise E and the Defiant... that would have been some cool crossover.. just need one or 2 cameos from the Ent crew..

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

THE PUNISHED
    I would liked to have seen a battle in the Dominion war with the Enterprise E and the Defiant... that would have been some cool crossover.. just need one or 2 cameos from the Ent crew..
    Rick Berman over-ruled that idea because he thought it was confuse the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    IIRC, The Year of Hell was written by one of the BSG writers, but I can't seem to find confirmation of this factoid on memory alpha at the moment.
    That's cos it wasn't; it was written by... dun dun dun... Brannon Bragga

He *did* want this sort of thing but the network demanded an episodic show. They wanted it so you could watch it in pretty much any order and it not matter.

Bragga gets a lot of flack (mostly for Threshold) but he certainly wasn't the worst. He got very lazy and gave up challenging the network after TNG. But he did want exactly that; STVOY like BSG.

Ronald D Moore (nBSG creator and writer) actually worked on DS9 as a head writer. He did 2 or 3 voyager episodes but left (to make BSG) because he couldn't stand the restrictions put in place.
    Hmm, I must be going crazy then.