hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 127 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2777117124125126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2664

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    If and I mean a big If, they don't epically fuck this up and make another social justice show masquerading as star trek
    How the fuck can you be a Star Trek fan and yet so epically misunderstand the literal core message of every single serial going?
    Star trek is all about big dumb space wars and shooty phasers didn't you know?

CGI Jackson is probably the first time I've seen that technology used without creeping me out. A pudgy Data is prefferable to one of those cgi nightmares that has been trotted out in the past.

I could do without the character alltogether though.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    If and I mean a big If, they don't epically fuck this up and make another social justice show masquerading as star trek
    How the fuck can you be a Star Trek fan and yet so epically misunderstand the literal core message of every single serial going?
    Star trek is all about big dumb space wars and shooty phasers didn't you know?
    I could forgive it for S1 of discovery because I guess they wanted to make a big splash relaunching the TV franchise

But the red angel plot tells me it will just be constant crisis and it will be very dumb and tedious

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    CGI Jackson is probably the first time I've seen that technology used without creeping me out. A pudgy Data is prefferable to one of those cgi nightmares that has been trotted out in the past.

I could do without the character alltogether though.
    You know they have enough footage from TNG that they could probably just do an AI face swap that’s more convincing than traditional cgi. Doesn’t look like they’re using such a technique, though.

And given that Spiner is 70 years old...

Last edited by Lachesis VII; July 21 2019 at 04:16:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    isnt there a Riker episode with like non-binary gender? in 1990 of all things lol

To think that the "SJW" aspect is a new thing.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...cast_(episode)

Riker falls in love with Soren, a member of an androgynous race known as the J'naii, who dares to be female.

I am female. I was born that way. I have had those feelings, those longings, all of my life. It is not unnatural. I am not sick because I feel this way. I do not need to be helped. I do not need to be cured. What I need, and what all of those who are like me need, is your understanding. And your compassion. We have not injured you in any way. And yet we are scorned and attacked. And all because we are different. What we do is no different from what you do. We talk and laugh. We complain about work. And we wonder about growing old. We talk about our families and we worry about the future. And we cry with each other when things seem hopeless. All of the loving things that you do with each other – that is what we do. And for that we are called misfits, and deviants and criminals. What right do you have to punish us? What right do you have to change us? What makes you think you can dictate how people love each other?"
    Then there was all the outrage when Jadzia kissed another woman...

And this, of course:

But no, Trek doesn’t need any of that social justice bullshit. Not what Trek is about, at all.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; July 21 2019 at 04:24:49 PM.

LolCE

I wonder what kind of person could be a huge trek fan and simultaneously misunderstand or disregard the core philosophy of the entire franchise

I wonder what kind of person could be a huge trek fan and simultaneously misunderstand or disregard the core philosophy of the entire franchise
    A Crystalline Entity.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    A Crystalline Entity.

Tapapapatalk
    That does actually make sense on some level.

I agree with some of the comments here. Trailer feels like nostalgia characters plopped into a different sci-fi show. The music especially felt a bit off.

Will still watch though. Hopefully it is at least as good as discovery.

Agree with the music bit. I've been watching the trailer muted. :dunno:

I should probably clarify, Star trek has been a beacon for Diversity and Gender and Race and Sexuality forever, and it is fantastic and is one of the things the show is good at showing and discussing within a story.

What fucked me off with STD was the marketing and social media commentary was all about this ground breaking new show/reboot that was big on Diversity and Gender and Race and Sexuality (and a shoehorned Spock connection for some reason)! Which to most of us who live and breathe the franchise is just...'okay... how about the story, is this going to fit in the timeline'.... and the response being essentially, 'get with the times this is a reboot look at the wonky CGI and the diversity, in the prime timeline, shut up and don't ask questions'.

I forget who it was, somebody on this forum told me to suck it up and stop focusing on what happened in the show previously.

That's what I meant.. just FYI
    Last edited by Crystalline Entity; July 22 2019 at 10:30:29 PM.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

So you’re fine with social justice on Star Trek, so long as the show doesn’t advertise itself as being about social justice.

Gotcha.

I always just liked the shows because they were entertaining. I also liked the old school moral-in-episode-format nature.

And I honestly don't see anything in the Picard trailer that's different (on the aspect of whatever people mean by "SJW stuff") than we see in every other TV or movie property these days.

Newsflash: We have women and minority and gay and whathaveyou characters represented now, get over it. Walk down any street and they're there too. Why get worked up about that of all things?

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

Have you been paying attention to what’s been happening in this society—at all?

Sad to say that these things are not as unremarkable as you and I would like them to be.

But Star Trek is a big part of why I think diversity is the norm and ought to be unremarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    So you’re fine with social justice on Star Trek, so long as the show doesn’t advertise itself as being about social justice.

Gotcha.
    I get it, there is a definite smugness about STD as though it's invented empowerment for black women all on its own. Burnham is a failure of a character because she has to be everything to all people and flawless at the same time.

If I were a poor black person in middle America I don't think I would find Burnham very interesting or inspiring. I think I'd be really keen on Worf though.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I wasn’t able to watch STD after seeing the Klingons.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Gotcha.
    I get it, there is a definite smugness about STD as though it's invented empowerment for black women all on its own. Burnham is a failure of a character because she has to be everything to all people and flawless at the same time.

If I were a poor black person in middle America I don't think I would find Burnham very interesting or inspiring. I think I'd be really keen on Worf though.
    You mean Burnham the mutineer who's never been in love and can't actually talk to her own family and gets manipulated by Lorca for a literal entire season without seeing it coming - that flawless Burnham?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I wasn’t able to watch STD after seeing the Klingons.
    It’s better once they get hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Gotcha.

You mean Burnham the mutineer who's never been in love and can't actually talk to her own family and gets manipulated by Lorca for a literal entire season without seeing it coming - that flawless Burnham?
    Yeah. The one who's all that and is always in the right all the time and Pike just does whatever she tells him to

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it