hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 183 of 184 FirstFirst ... 83133173180181182183184 LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,660 of 3668

Thread: Star trek!

Really liking "Strange New Worlds" with the exception of a fourth wall breaking "cool" from Uhuru(???) and some basic things that an engineer, especially a chief engineer should know,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn
    Nope.

user was banned for this lock

Same, I like Strange New Worlds! I hope there’ll be some philosophical episodes.

Strange New Worlds is so good. Normally I save the best shows for the weekend.
    But not this one, I just want to see it right away. Just enjoyable to watch.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Its great seeing the timeline continue to get fucked up (to be sure it is mostly more subtle than Discovery) all in the name of "modernisation" and "bringing new audiences"
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

I agree. It's like a modernised Star Trek TOS. It's mostly excellent

I'm still really enjoying SNW. In fact it has become my wife's favourite, she knows way more about trek than I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn
    Nope.

user was banned for this lock

Goddamn this show is just doing everything better. Where Disco feels pushy and preachy, SNW just tells stories about characters and trusts the audience to come along. Where Picard was a wreckage of story ideas and over-wrought speechifying, SNW shows us real stakes with a new adventure every week that feels plotted out and whole.

Extremely minor spoiler
      Spoiler:
    Cripes, the opening scene from ep. 7 was like 1,000% Star Trek, of course it was horribly formulaic but it was also simple, functional, elegant; classic. And expanding representation for trans people by having one tell Spock that no one's identity is purely binary but in a way that tied in directly with his personal growth so that it felt earned and natural - chef's kiss.

I love it, but more than that, I love that I can love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

And I love that you love that you can love it babe

Star trek!

Spoiler:
    Leaning into Star Trek V canon is a bold move, Cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    And I love that you love that you can love it babe

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
      Spoiler:
    Leaning into Star Trek V canon is a bold move, Cotton.
      Spoiler:
    I'm an unapologetic fan of that entry, I think it's the closest thing to a feature-length episode of the original show that we got. It's not the best of the movies, by any stretch, but it hit all the - for lack of a better term - "meta" notes from TOS; obviously low budget, fighting something that calls itself God, cheesy alien makeup, "we need captain Kirk on the Enterprise for this mission," one of my favorite Kirk speeches ever, what I think is the most famous Kirk one-liner ever, and at the end everyone gathers in the lounge to do diplomacy. Again, classic.

This is one of those cases where I don't mind them going back to answer unanswered questions, Sybok was such a wild expansion of the lore surrounding Vulcans, and seeing more of Vulcan culture in this show than I think we've ever gotten (at least at this pace) is super cool.
    Last edited by Ruri; June 18 2022 at 12:05:45 PM.

Couple of episodes into Strange New Worlds, can confirm it is Star Trek in every way that all the other shows are not (although the namedropping left and right does get a little tiresome).

Hope they will keep it up.

Probably gets cancelled after season 2 at the latest.

How does stardates work?
    Usually theres some deeper thought to star trek stuff, same here or just random numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    How does stardates work?
    Usually theres some deeper thought to star trek stuff, same here or just random numbers?
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Stardate

Memory Alpha has all the answers.

Have a converter:

http://rinsanity.weebly.com/stardate-converter.html
    nevar forget

Better not ask which timeline they are in though :P

I'm watching the old star trek movies, in wrath of khan. Why is she called MR Saavik?

I wondered this myself the last time I watched it. According to various places online, the director did it as a conscious choice to make Starfleet to feel more like a military organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In the United States Navy and United States Coast Guard it is proper to use Mister to refer to commissioned officers below the rank of lieutenant commander, or to subordinate commissioned officers, though the use of Mister implies familiarity compared to the use of rank title for an unknown officer. Women officers below the rank of lieutenant commander may be addressed as Miss, Ms. or Mrs. as appropriate.
    This going back to the British use as officers were of a higher social class. As for that bolded part I've read elsewhere though that the use of Miss/Ms/Mrs etc. is not appropriate at all in any case, so there's not really a female equivalent. After Wrath of Khan they seem to have dropped the Mister thing except for some male characters like Worf.
    Last edited by Boltorano; June 20 2022 at 02:42:29 AM.

Been on vacation but I finally caught the latest ep., I actually quite liked the little fantasy play. Hemmer got some time to shine, everyone seemed to be having fun hamming it up, and the doctor's scenes with his daughter really worked for me. It was dumb and silly but I had a grin on my face the whole time, maybe I'm just starting to lose my sense of objectivity over this particular show though?

Banned Movember 2011Movember 2012
    I've been watching numerous clips of the latest seasons of Discovery and Picard. After a while, I realized that I like what I'm seeing. Is it wrong to feel this way?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

watch it as intended and the feeling will quickly go away

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it