hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 139 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3989129136137138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 2980

Thread: Star trek!

Discovery could be excellent but there's just no escaping the pants on head plot and the resulting studio-friendly lowest common denominator expository dialogue.

Picard is lots of bad sprinkled with Patrick Stewart having some fun with hammy lines.

Also there was fuck loads of meaningless sex and violence in star trek, dunno what the fuck you lads were watching.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Discovery could be excellent but there's just no escaping the pants on head plot and the resulting studio-friendly lowest common denominator expository dialogue.

Picard is lots of bad sprinkled with Patrick Stewart having some fun with hammy lines.

Also there was fuck loads of meaningless sex and violence in star trek, dunno what the fuck you lads were watching.
    yeah but it was only like one horrible death every other episode, and ships only blew up occasionally. modern audiences need a dozen horrible stabbings and at least ten explosions every episode now, that's what makes money after all ~
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

I'm not sure if y'all noticed, but TV in general has gotten more violent content since the 90s.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I'm not sure if y'all noticed, but TV in general has gotten more violent content since the 90s.

Tapapapatalk
    At least in the murica, you can have as much violence as you want as long as no lasting effects of that violence are shown, but no saying bad words or showing raw skin or affection!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    And SPAEC ORKS

The Harry Mudd episodes are n1, mostly due to Rainn Willson though.
    That requires a repost:

I stopped half way through the first episode of Discovery. Is there anybody who thinks it is worth watching?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    And SPAEC ORKS

The Harry Mudd episodes are n1, mostly due to Rainn Willson though.
    That requires a repost:

N1

MI8m8

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    I stopped half way through the first episode of Discovery. Is there anybody who thinks it is worth watching?
    Well, it looks pretty. Thats the best i can say about it.

Come to think of it, the entire thing is Star Trek on acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Hi.

First season starts slow, picks up around episode 5 and the Frakes directed episode is very good, obvious twist is obvious but still handled well. The last episode is pure fan service but still works.

Season 2 falls over itself a bit, it's trying to integrate too many plots and too many characters whilst also scrambling about trying to write Discovery out of the prime timeline, and it doesn't really do it successfully.

I'm invested enough to see what happens in season 3.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Season 2 falls over itself a bit,
    A bit? That season finale trips over it's own dick, then travels back in time to trip over it a few more times, before finally traveling way forwards in time in search of more dicks to trip over.

Spoiler:
    Disco: We need to fly into the future in order to stop the evil AI from killing everything in the galaxy with magic missiles!

Evil Michelle Yeoh: Hey I killed the evil AI with a magnet!

Disco: Cool we're still going to fly into the future though because the writers forgot why we were doing that~

AI sosij

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

~ y u m m e e e ~

Yeah, that whole Discovery S2 ending was WTF. At least put a couple of lines in saying why they're still going ahead or something!

"Discovery Away!!!!"

I suggest everyone imagine for a minute the story of the first 2 Picard episodes happening in Discovery. You'd be all over it how shitty/illogical it is.

I mean e.g. a firefight on the roof og the Federation HQ ... and no automated defense systems turning on within microseconds of the first shot fired? No red shirts pouring out of the doors? And no serious investigation afterwards?

I personally enjoy(ed) both shows for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I mean e.g. a firefight on the roof og the Federation HQ ... and no automated defense systems turning on within microseconds of the first shot fired? No red shirts pouring out of the doors? And no serious investigation afterwards?
    I mean, yes that's what should have happened.
    However every time we've seen Federation HQ it's had less security than your average cornershop - unless it's Picard off to talk to a gardener, usually when we see Federation HQ it's being attacked by random aliens who waltz in unopposed and there's not a security measure in sight.

If anything, Picard has canonically increased security there - it has at least shown a reception desk.

I personally enjoy(ed) both shows for what they are.
    As have I.

Season 1 of Discovery is YA Star Trek, not bad if you can go for that
    Season 2 of Discovery is EVERYTHING SET TO 11 ALL THE TIME AND ALSO ALL ABOUT A MAGIC FAMILY Star Trek, mostly bad

I suggest everyone imagine for a minute the story of the first 2 Picard episodes happening in Discovery. You'd be all over it how shitty/illogical it is.
    tbf i've been all over how shitty and illogical both shows are.

edit: ep. 3 of Picard is still working on making me wish very dearly that the show had been developed outside of the AbramsKurtzman-verse. The pacing is much better but the dialog is so inconsistently horrible-then-great that it feels like two completely different shows got shoved in a blender.
    Last edited by Ruri; February 7 2020 at 01:51:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Season 1 of Discovery is YA Star Trek, not bad if you can go for that
    Season 2 of Discovery is EVERYTHING SET TO 11 ALL THE TIME AND ALSO ALL ABOUT A MAGIC FAMILY Star Trek, mostly bad
    It's really quite amazing how Discovery was able to be so bad in two distinct ways. Season 2 is a totally different show at times, and yet it frequently finds new ways to stab itself in the foot. Which, credit to the crew for trying. But I'm a bit flummoxed at how they managed to come up with something just as flawed as the first season. Star Trek is known for its rocky starts, but normally the second season is able to build off of what worked in the first season and improve itself.

It makes me wonder if serialization is a big part of the problem. With a more episodic structure you're allowed to try a bunch of different ideas and see what works. With serialization, you're kind of locked into your trajectory from the start.

Meanwhile, the latest episode of Picard is giving me BSG vibes. I won't make any final judgements 3 episodes into a new show. But if we're doing that metaphysical/religious baloney again, it's not going to end well.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous