hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 170 of 171 FirstFirst ... 70120160167168169170171 LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,400 of 3418

Thread: Star trek!

And here some of us don’t really mind Discovery.

I wish it were a bit less violent/angsty, but that’s just the everything-must-compete-with-game-of-thrones effect, really.

I’d like another prequel series, just set in the immediate aftermath of first contact, and more focusing on the after effects of WWIII, the actions of Col. Green, and the like. Or start it a year before first contact, we’ll away from any doings by ZC and the like.

Kind of an inverted post-apocalyptic political drama; things get better rather than worse. Wouldn’t even need to be a Star Trek show or feature space travel except as background. Characters could be “little people” trying to get by and contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
      Spoiler:
    1. The Federation, a group of galactic explorers who have seen 1000s of new and weird technologies from 1000s of species, and have occasionally invented whole new methods of travel themselves, were "unable" to find a replacement for dilithium-powered warp drives. HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN WE MADE A SHIP THAT COULD TRAVEL ANYWHERE WITHOUT WARP DRIVE? LET'S DIG THAT OUT OF THE ARCHIVES MAYBE. Or go all in on Voyager's quantum slipstream research (which I am convinced they referenced in the first episode without understanding what it was or where it came from). Or just copy the tech from other civilizations that we know for a fact works, again it seems like Romulans make tons of ships with micro black hole power sources, you're telling me Starfleet couldn't figure that out for themselves? Fuck. Right. Off.
      Spoiler:
    Did you miss this little bit in season 1?
    Spock warns that the destruction of the Discovery does not entirely eliminate the problem, and suggests that to ensure nothing of this type can happen again, all participants in the event will be barred from ever speaking of the Discovery, her crew, or the spore drive again, under penalty of prosecution for treason.
    Memory Alpha: Such Sweet Sorrow, PII

Bitching about the one thing they made sure they covered...
    nevar forget

Spoiler:
    Also the whole thing of spore drive ships requiring genetically modified humans, and eugenics being illegal.

Quantum slipstream is dangerous - Voyager used it because they had no choice. And Book explicitly mentions it in the first episode of season 3, it requires benamite which is presumably non-existent in the alpha quadrant.

There are plot holes in Discovery, but they covered that one pretty reasonably. Nobody except the Klingons know the spore drive exist and they're not likely to be able to replicate it.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Absolutely B A S E D

I unironically went to a convention (the first and only time I did so) several years ago where Max Grodenchik (Rom) was among the speakers. He seemed like a pretty decent chap and I got the impression that he genuinely enjoyed his time doing DS9 and 'growing' the character.

Michael Biehn, on the other hand, was high as fuck on something and had at least one handler with him at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Just got to DS9 the season finale of S5, I skipped a bunch of "quarks mom" episodes because they made me want to die, i think i skipped a few other absolute trash ones like the festive night or whatever the fuck that was.

God damn the show really does build up the Dominion and at this point I'm pumped to see were they go from here, seems likely some people are Founders and the whole setup is great. Still love many of the filler episodes, some are great stuff, O'Brien and Bashir becoming actual best friends after I think S2 is a nice happy time. Amazing ride so far.
    Moogie is a great character tho.
    It's not so much the character I just really love the existing characters so much and like the main story are, so the predictable moogie stuff isn't my deal. The majority of filler episodes are great and I know there are many more to come, I usually get a feeling I want to skip about 2 episodes in the whole season, most just add to the characters and are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
      Spoiler:
    1. The Federation, a group of galactic explorers who have seen 1000s of new and weird technologies from 1000s of species, and have occasionally invented whole new methods of travel themselves, were "unable" to find a replacement for dilithium-powered warp drives. HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN WE MADE A SHIP THAT COULD TRAVEL ANYWHERE WITHOUT WARP DRIVE? LET'S DIG THAT OUT OF THE ARCHIVES MAYBE. Or go all in on Voyager's quantum slipstream research (which I am convinced they referenced in the first episode without understanding what it was or where it came from). Or just copy the tech from other civilizations that we know for a fact works, again it seems like Romulans make tons of ships with micro black hole power sources, you're telling me Starfleet couldn't figure that out for themselves? Fuck. Right. Off.
      Spoiler:
    Spock warns that the destruction of the Discovery does not entirely eliminate the problem, and suggests that to ensure nothing of this type can happen again, all participants in the event will be barred from ever speaking of the Discovery, her crew, or the spore drive again, under penalty of prosecution for treason.

In this universe there are no scientists outside of the federation, presumably.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Oh they could easily have archive information somewhere in a vault, or Section 31 still knows about it because it's game-breaking but can't actually make a new one with their resources, wtf ever. The point is not that this one specific thing was hand-waved away vaguely forever, it's that there are known alternatives already inside the Star Trek universe and this show dismisses all of them, and the possibility that there may have been others, with one line of dialogue, when resolving it is literally a matter of survival for the entire Federation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
      Spoiler:
    Also the whole thing of spore drive ships requiring genetically modified humans, and eugenics being illegal.

Quantum slipstream is dangerous - Voyager used it because they had no choice. And Book explicitly mentions it in the first episode of season 3, it requires benamite which is presumably non-existent in the alpha quadrant.

There are plot holes in Discovery, but they covered that one pretty reasonably. Nobody except the Klingons know the spore drive exist and they're not likely to be able to replicate it.
      Spoiler:
    Change the laws? Do more research? Yes the quantum slipstream was unstable when Voyager used it, but I'm fairly sure that if the entire Federation suddenly had no choice but to figure out a way to make it work, they'd move that a ways up the priority list. This is an absolutely pivotal plot point in the setup for this season, it deserves a little more than a throwaway line about gosh, they tried, but all those super space scientists just couldn't figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Just got to DS9 the season finale of S5, I skipped a bunch of "quarks mom" episodes because they made me want to die, i think i skipped a few other absolute trash ones like the festive night or whatever the fuck that was.

God damn the show really does build up the Dominion and at this point I'm pumped to see were they go from here, seems likely some people are Founders and the whole setup is great. Still love many of the filler episodes, some are great stuff, O'Brien and Bashir becoming actual best friends after I think S2 is a nice happy time. Amazing ride so far.
    It's not so much the character I just really love the existing characters so much and like the main story are, so the predictable moogie stuff isn't my deal. The majority of filler episodes are great and I know there are many more to come, I usually get a feeling I want to skip about 2 episodes in the whole season, most just add to the characters and are fun.
    Thing is that the evolution of Ferengi politics is actually a fairly interesting/important plot point towards the end; the Moogie episodes set this up. No spoilers, but I’d encourage you to go back and watch them.

Thing is that the evolution of Ferengi politics is actually a fairly interesting/important plot point towards the end; the Moogie episodes set this up. No spoilers, but I’d encourage you to go back and watch them.
    I got the core idea of the first Moogie one, that she would upset the system, I guessed it in the first act, and I watched enough of the Grand Nagus losing his gourd and changing all the rules to realize what was coming next. I am churning along the 6th season, got a feeling things are too good and something is gonna go wrong before the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    the attention distribution bias towards bad things is an evolved survival trait. it was originally there so we kept an eye on those sneaky fucking hyena's in the distance, it gets a bit confused in a modern context so we end up getting captivated by shit star trek and Trump instead. just pretend Ruri is the dude in our tribe that is keeping an eye on the shitty star trek in the distance so the rest of the tribe can continue humping each other in safety.
    I... I like this explanation.

Ruri o7 Your sacrifice will be remembered.
    Aye. I like this explanation. I was just thinking to myself "I wonder if S3 finally made DISCO unsuck?". Now Ruri has saved me the pain of having to watch it.

o7 Ruri.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

9 minutes of mouthbreathing, and the comments are full of people who don't like Disco because it's too 'SJWey'.

All those vidoes do is teach me that a lot of people have misunderstood Star Trek.

Discovery has issues, but jesus christ if these people don't make me wanna keep on watching it.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

I like the Discovery story for this season, my issue is the characters. They are simply bad.
    And the over usage of MacGuffins.

9 minutes of mouthbreathing, and the comments are full of people who don't like Disco because it's too 'SJWey'.

All those vidoes do is teach me that a lot of people have misunderstood Star Trek.

Discovery has issues, but jesus christ if these people don't make me wanna keep on watching it.
    Yeah, there are def. a whole camp of those "critics" who basically just bitch about the fact that "their" geek media isn't still being tailored 100% to teen-to-middle aged white men. Fuck 'em all.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I like the Discovery story for this season, my issue is the characters. They are simply bad.
    Oh you mean the Andromeda story. From the wiki "The Andromeda, with Hunt aboard, is caught at the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, freezing both in time. Three hundred and three years later, in CY 10087 (approx 5167 AD), the crew of the salvage ship Eureka Maru locates the ship. The Systems Commonwealth has fallen, and the era known as The Long Night has begun. Hunt recruits the salvage crew to join him in an attempt to restore the Systems Commonwealth and "rekindle the light of civilization".

Yeah, there are def. a whole camp of those "critics" who basically just bitch about the fact that "their" geek media isn't still being tailored 100% to teen-to-middle aged white men. Fuck 'em all.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Oh you mean the Andromeda story. From the wiki "The Andromeda, with Hunt aboard, is caught at the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, freezing both in time. Three hundred and three years later, in CY 10087 (approx 5167 AD), the crew of the salvage ship Eureka Maru locates the ship. The Systems Commonwealth has fallen, and the era known as The Long Night has begun. Hunt recruits the salvage crew to join him in an attempt to restore the Systems Commonwealth and "rekindle the light of civilization".
    I had to read it myself on wiki, its the same fucking story.
    Wasn't there some plagiarism charges against discovery for season 1 as well?

I've no idea who owns the rights to Andromeda now, but it was devised by Roddenberry as a potential Trek series set ... after the fall of the Federation.
    Quote Originally Posted by cucaldvida View Post
    ...suck on the devices of the callow people...

Gag reflexes got a workout in those first 5-10min of E3 thats for sure. Holy shit...

It picked up, some was pretty decent. Tilly has her moments, especially when annoyed. But its also like they know how bad and non-engaging their creation is. They just layer on thiccccc when given the chance, especially musical wise, and hope that will be enough to tingle the nostalgia (and it is, but its not having the effect they think it has).
    The banter/chemistry between M and B is pretty good actually, I liked that in general as it felt relaxed. But then they got to go ruin it with talking about doing 15 different plays from sticky situations they been in before. In the context of a rugged pair like Solo and Chewie, whos been running crew for like 30+ years and seen some shit that makes sense but here...
    M HAS ONLY BEEN THERE FOR 12 MONTHS ALL - THIS - TIME - SEARCHING - FOR - YOUUUUUUUHUHUHUHU And I doubt she went to runner/smuggler within the first month even but hey what do I know, maybe they were so bad at it they constantly had to come up with crazy stuff just to survive.

But then I find myself annoyed over that E4 wasnt available, I was sure I had two eps to look forward too. But then again, I know what I'm watching while eating breakfast tomorrow. See you on that side of this train wreck friends, cant wait to like and shit post about it some more. o7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    But its also like they know how bad and non-engaging their creation is. They just layer on thiccccc when given the chance, especially musical wise, and hope that will be enough to tingle the nostalgia (and it is, but its not having the effect they think it has).
    Yes, this is what I was saying. They don't just swell the music and show everyone smiling and then cut away, they swell the music then leave it there for what seems like an eternity, and pile on the platitudes in the dialogue, and keep beating you over the head with THIS IS STARFLEET which only proves that they have no idea uuuuggghhhh ~~~

I don't mean to keep harping on this, but freakin' Lower Decks understands how to do this right. The episode that was a sendup of all the Trek movies has the "shuttle approaching the main starship" scene, and they deliberately draw it out for comedic effect (which I know is ironic given what I'm comparing it to) but in one of the interstitials, the chief engineer is hunched over his control panel crying because he's been moved to tears at how pretty his ship is. It lasts like two seconds, but I was like shit, I'd probably tear up too my brother, you got me. You can say what you want, and get a response out of your audience, with some simple, short and sweet cuts, but Disco just d r a g s e v e r y t h i n g o u t p o i n t l e s s l y because in the end they don't know how to say anything.

edit: Disco S03E04 is... finally an episode that didn't make me want to remove my eyeballs. Still a bit overdone and slow, but had an actual interesting scifi idea that got explored, a story and b story were complimentary, and it was only normally maudlin and cloying, not offensively so. Progress was finally made with the characters coming to grips with their situation. Only thing that really bugged me was
      Spoiler:
    Saru was waaay too on board with Disco's computer suddenly taking charge using mysterious sphere data, like "well if you say you're ok, you're ok!" after just asking for a self-diagnostic, when the whole theme of the episode is that when people insist that they're fine they're almost never fine. Seemed like a big swing and a miss, idk.
    Last edited by Ruri; November 6 2020 at 04:42:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I've no idea who owns the rights to Andromeda now, but it was devised by Roddenberry as a potential Trek series set ... after the fall of the Federation.
    Yepp.

Though I heard it was envisioned by GR as kinda AR version "Federation gone wrong".

Regardless - the main plot point (and which makes it bearable although 'Hercules in space') is that the (Con)Federation once was a glorious and honorable ('Honor Guard', ya know) coalition of planets broken up long ago. And that the main protagonist a) didn't know that and b) then tries to rebuild it.

S03E04
      Spoiler:
    "Ha ha, hello". Well hello there indeed, Rommie.
    Not that "Short Treks haven't hinted it already way back.