hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3239404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Star trek!

I actually like Voyager for the most part. It has some dumb storylines sure but so does every Trek, and The Doctor is great. It also has plenty of Borg stuff which I like.

Enterprise though, I was really looking forward to it, but just couldn't get into it. The theme music was terrible, I just couldn't give a fuck about any of the characters and then the constant time travel shit made me give it up for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I actually like Voyager for the most part. It has some dumb storylines sure but so does every Trek, and The Doctor is great. It also has plenty of Borg stuff which I like.

Enterprise though, I was really looking forward to it, but just couldn't get into it. The theme music was terrible, I just couldn't give a fuck about any of the characters and then the constant time travel shit made me give it up for good.
    The Mirror Universe stuff in the last season of Enterprise was some of the best Trek ever though.

It may well be but I guess I'll never know now.

I actually really like the first half of the first episode of enterprise, before the time travel shit got involved. They had a really good premise there, but delivered it stillborn.

Seriously, go back and watch the first episode then stop watching before the time travel shit and imagine that was all you saw.

Idea of time travel shouldn't ever be entertained. It's never done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Except in Back to the Future.

As I said, currently watching Enterprise and time travel episodes were a stupid idea. That said, there were a few non time travel episodes that I (and others) thought were far worse than even the cringiest Suliban one I have seen so far (only into season 2 though). But yeah, they should have stuck to Vulcans are mean, monster of the week, create the Federation out of the Vulcan / Andorian / Human love-hate triangle.
    nevar forget

Did you guys ever see the show Braga did later, that was just about time travel?

It was just as awful as you'd expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

and

"I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    and

Dr Who, show about a time traveller, actually awful at doing time travel stories.

and

Dr Who, show about a time traveller, actually awful at doing time travel stories.
    I'm sorry, I'm so so so so sorry...

"I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    i dont get how people hate one Enterprise or voyager. Both a perfectly watchable Sci fi shows.
    Enterprise got it wrong from episode one IMO. Time travel story lines never/rarely pan out well in a series. I thought it had promise though, a bit more nitty gritty with the "you gotta walk before you can run" feel to it.

And then came time travel rings and other crap.
    So much potential.

Such poor execution.

:Enterprise:
    "Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

futurama also did a pretty damn good set of interwoven time travel plots.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    futurama also did a pretty damn good set of interwoven time travel plots.
    Worth repeating, because they did.
    Really should rewatch them all again its been so long...

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    i dont get how people hate one Enterprise or voyager. Both a perfectly watchable Sci fi shows.
    It comes down to the characters. I watch Trek for two reasons, the characters (it's a drama ffs) and in the case of TNG the pseudo-science and thinky episodes.

I can't stand the characters in ENT, and there was too much unbelievable nonsense. The british guy is there to be exceedingly british, the engineer is there to be exceedingly southern and they're both generally idiots. The only likeable character was the doctor and he is not enough to salvage things.

I used to like Voyager, but I can no longer watch it. The episodes are just silly and boring. I find Chicote insufferable and Janeway has nobody to play off of, so her character languishes. In TNG I could easily ignore Crusher and Diana, and in DS9 I can mostly ignore Sisko, but Voyager and ENT have nothing to distract me. DS9 gets me hooked on what will happen with the Cardassians enough to forget about anything I don't like. With voyager i have... Nelix? The doctor, I guess, except he grates on me eventually.
    Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Who's the person to talk to that can explain the new TNG blu-ray stuff to me? I heard it's been remastered and looks great.

TOS and TNG were remastered in bluray and truly they look absolutely fucking amazing,

people want VGR and DS9 to be blurayed but it is apparently cost prohibitive as they were filmed at a higher base quality than TOS/TNG in the first place, and CBS isn't willing to splash the cash on a small return from a niche market.

VGR and DS9 look great but with a quality boost they could be top notch visually.

eg

Can't find the pics i really loved but yeah there is a huge uplift in quality
    Last edited by Crystalline Entity; January 12 2017 at 10:33:03 PM.

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

TOS and TNG were remastered in bluray and truly they look absolutely fucking amazing,

people want VGR and DS9 to be blurayed but it is apparently cost prohibitive as they were filmed at a higher base quality than TOS/TNG in the first place, and CBS isn't willing to splash the cash on a small return from a niche market.

VGR and DS9 look great but with a quality boost they could be top notch visually.

eg

Can't find the pics i really loved but yeah there is a huge uplift in quality
    Excellent thanks mate, could i trouble you for an amazon link?

Note that the TNG remaster is a much lighter touch than the TOS remaster. TOS-R outright replaced all the space stuff with new CGI, and it redid a good deal of the special effects. TNG-R on the other hand only replaces things that didn't look good in HD, or where the source material simply couldn't be found. However the proper color grading and proper frame rate (everything is done at 24fps) is worth it alone. It looks fantastic, and generally speaking holds up well to modern standards.

The remastering process required returning to the original film negatives, as all editing and visual effects compositing took place on video, which lacks the required resolution for high-definition. This collection of footage, totaling over 25,000 reels, was re-edited exactly as was done for original airing. Visual effects were entirely recompositioned, and not upconverted from the original videotape. Audio is the form of 7.1 DTS Master Audio.
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ob...-r-changes.htm

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/T...ext_Generation

The problem with DS9 and VOY is that they were made right as CGI became a thing. So unlike TNG, where the effects were done separately and usually with physical materials captured on film (matte paintings, ship models, etc), those series have increasing amounts of CGI. Virtually all of that is lost and/or useless for HD and would need to be recreated. It would require treating them more like TOS-R than TNG-R, and the former is much more expensive. Which is a problem when there's no way even DS9 would sell as well, disregarding the fact that disc scales in general have succumbed to Netflix and other forms of streaming.

That said, I'd still give up certain body parts for DS9-R, especially the Dominion War fleet battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Excellent thanks mate, could i trouble you for an amazon link?
    https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Gen.../dp/B01BP06ENA
    Last edited by Verite Rendition; January 12 2017 at 11:25:20 PM.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Who's the person to talk to that can explain the new TNG blu-ray stuff to me? I heard it's been remastered and looks great.
    Re tng: If you didn't watch it back in the day, there's nothing to know. If you did, you'll notice it right away. It's super sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.