hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451 ... LastLast

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Indeed. "shitstorm" is basically a given just about with everything these days, sometimes just for the sake of it.
    10 people out of millions complaining about a thing is not a shitstorm. The media talking about 10 people because they have nothing better to do is also not a shitstorm. It's bored people talking about a thing.

The only given is that people call it a shitstorm. I think it's because they think it's more than 10 people when it's not, or they're really bored and want it to be a shitstorm so they'll have something to talk about - something safe to point at and say "omg a shitstorm".
    It's too easy to just "like" or "+1" soemthing these days. So 10 people write some similar shit and thousands "like" it and eve share it. If every "like" would require some written content (like I remember some forum software did/does), there would be less BS spread around.

Kirk kissing Uhura was probably more of a shitstorm than having a character announce they were a terrorist when their planet was basically occupied by nazis would be today. Obviously it depends on execution, but we're talking about Kira. She didn't exactly extol the virtues of murdering innocents. The show basically bludgeons you with how great the Federation's code of ethics is. Nobody would get mad, except those 10 random people on twitter and maybe some moron on Fox News.
    Fortunately (for the show), DS9 chenged later on the narrative away from that black & white Cardassia = evil, Bajor = good. I always imagined Kira, being a Cardassian, as brutal and convinced about doing the right thing as she's done as a Bajoran resistance fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Looks like Axanar might well be fucked. Full copyright trial is ordered after the Judge decides it's not "fair use".
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...pyright-trial/

Their argument is really, really weak tbh, so i suspect they are doomed.
    FUCK! copyright laws are a pile of horseshit.
    They are, but in this case they are actually working as intended.

This isnt a case of a big mean studio stamping out a fanmade project for no reason...Paramount allows plenty of fan projects.

The Axanar team on the other hand are a purely for-profit setup. They sell Axanar branded merch, use the funds for salaries for the team members, and even tried to sell the show to Amazon and Netflix, all without any licensing permission.
    They even tried to hire away one of Paramounts writers.

Throughout all this Paramount has sat down and spoken to them, and the Axanar owner has basically told them to fuck off.

No sympathy at all, and for once copyright working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Indeed. "shitstorm" is basically a given just about with everything these days, sometimes just for the sake of it.
    10 people out of millions complaining about a thing is not a shitstorm. The media talking about 10 people because they have nothing better to do is also not a shitstorm. It's bored people talking about a thing.

The only given is that people call it a shitstorm. I think it's because they think it's more than 10 people when it's not, or they're really bored and want it to be a shitstorm so they'll have something to talk about - something safe to point at and say "omg a shitstorm".

But then everyone starts saying it's some kind of shitstorm when it's more like a butterfly's fart. Then suddenly everything's a shitstorm and omg life is so hard because someone wrote an angry tweet.

Kirk kissing Uhura was probably more of a shitstorm than having a character announce they were a terrorist when their planet was basically occupied by nazis would be today. Obviously it depends on execution, but we're talking about Kira. She didn't exactly extol the virtues of murdering innocents. The show basically bludgeons you with how great the Federation's code of ethics is. Nobody would get mad, except those 10 random people on twitter and maybe some moron on Fox News.
    Which is why i like DS9 as Quark warns Nog that humans are great when the power is on and the replicators work but he needs to remember where they came from and they are very dangerous.
    DS9 was the best Trek cause of this. It showed some self-awareness by demonstrating that the Federation is only wonderful because of comfortable circumstances, not because it has some innate special quality. But even then Section 31 shows that the Federation could never give up on the old ways

I was hoping the franchise would move in this direction, but it looks like its going to be standard fare of boring exploration again

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Fortunately (for the show), DS9 chenged later on the narrative away from that black & white Cardassia = evil, Bajor = good. I always imagined Kira, being a Cardassian, as brutal and convinced about doing the right thing as she's done as a Bajoran resistance fighter.
    The show never really painted it black and white, but they do go good places with the Cardassians. The Bajorans were always unlikable and their politicians were always scumbags. That whole situation is what makes ds9 good plot wise.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    Shouldn't Worf have a Russian accent?
    Ukrainian. Worf should have a Ukrainian accent.

...unless, he's been speaking Ukrainian the whole time and the UT is converting it to English/Federation Standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    Shouldn't Worf have a Russian accent?
    Ukrainian. Worf should have a Ukrainian accent.

...unless, he's been speaking Ukrainian the whole time and the UT is converting it to English/Federation Standard.

What is Fake Russian for "Today is a good day to die!"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

What do you call an Andorian pancake?

Spoiler:
    a Shrancake!
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    The show never really painted it black and white, but they do go good places with the Cardassians. The Bajorans were always unlikable and their politicians were always scumbags. That whole situation is what makes ds9 good plot wise.
    god i never hated a baddie quite as much as i hated kai Winn

I started rewatching DS9 on Netflix last night. edit: just occured to me that September this year will be 30 years since Next Generation first aired.
    Last edited by Spawinte; January 11 2017 at 01:54:24 PM.

Watching Star Trek Enterprise on Netflix. I have never seen more than a few episodes so when they added it here in Germany recently I thought why not.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Watching TOS - had always passed it up in favor of TNG, DS9.

I heard that people complained about the restoration but I think they did an admirable job replacing the poorer special effects with CGI while keeping with the visual style. TOS can be pretty campy - once you accept that it's far more enjoyable.

'Space Seed' is next.

TOS shows its age in everything. Its barely watchable nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post

I heard that people complained about the restoration but I think they did an admirable job replacing the poorer special effects with CGI while keeping with the visual style. TOS can be pretty campy - once you accept that it's far more enjoyable.

'Space Seed' is next.
    Space Seed is excellent

(Just igore the fact that in ROK they implied Chekov was in the episode)

But its a good episode
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post

Agreed. The entire show has aged and we've moved on from paper mache boulders, but the special effects in particular aged the worst. So I really appreciate that they replaced this with CGI that looks the part; it looks like what they would have done in 1966 if they had a budget and could do a better job of image compositing.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    I started rewatching DS9 on Netflix last night. edit: just occured to me that September this year will be 30 years since Next Generation first aired.
    30 years, Jesus.

I'm almost done my DS9 rewatch. I remember when the first episode aired, I was at a camp and someone managed to convince them to let us watch it. It still deson't beat TNG, Sisko is still awful, but the show holds up.

Rewatched TOS recently, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar
    TOS shows its age in everything. Its barely watchable nowadays.
    It's entirely watchable. It does show its age in that they recycle the same few plots repeatedly, the characters tend to be morons, there's no overarching development, and by the 3rd season I was only watching it so I could say I've seen it all... But I would never classify it as barely watchable in general. Plenty about it is great and I enjoyed it. I can see why it's so revered. (ok I only had it playing in the background for a few episodes)

Ent and Voyager, however, I can't get through. I struggle to find any value at all in those shows.

I heard that people complained about the restoration but I think they did an admirable job
    They did a great job! The ship looks gorgeous imo.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    i dont get how people hate one Enterprise or voyager. Both a perfectly watchable Sci fi shows.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    i dont get how people hate one Enterprise or voyager. Both a perfectly watchable Sci fi shows.
    Enterprise got it wrong from episode one IMO. Time travel story lines never/rarely pan out well in a series. I thought it had promise though, a bit more nitty gritty with the "you gotta walk before you can run" feel to it.

And then came time travel rings and other crap.