hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 303738394041424350 ... LastLast

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelfreak View Post
    I don't think they'll have any main characters in this series proudly admitting they were terrorists.
    They did that like 20 years ago. Kira Nerys on DS9 was a former Bajoran resistance fighter, assassin, and terrorist bomber, she was explicitly stated to have done all of those things on screen.

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    I don't think they'll have any main characters in this series proudly admitting they were terrorists.
    They did that like 20 years ago. Kira Nerys on DS9 was a former Bajoran resistance fighter, assassin, and terrorist bomber, she was explicitly stated to have done all of those things on screen.
    and like everyone in the maquis

they had like 15 episodes on it directly.

So you didn't read the last page of this thread where we're talking about Kira. Pretty sure Kira is the Grendel's point.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    So you didn't read the last page of this thread where we're talking about Kira. Pretty sure Kira is the Grendel's point.
    Exactly. Unlike Tom Zarek in BSG Kira is definitely one of the 'good guys' as well as being unrepentant over her actions. There would be a phenomenal shitstorm if Star Trek tried to have a similar character today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Exactly. Unlike Tom Zarek in BSG Kira is definitely one of the 'good guys' as well as being unrepentant over her actions. There would be a phenomenal shitstorm if Star Trek tried to have a similar character today.
    BSG clearly has a Caprican bias and has it out for Sagittarions.

(not all that joking - most of the show's main characters were Caprican and the story called out their actions and motivation on more than one occasion)

..also I had pointed out that the insurgency on New Caprica is a better example of "good guy" terrorism from that show.
    Last edited by Nu11u5; January 1 2017 at 11:48:22 PM.

There would be a phenomenal shitstorm if Star Trek tried to have a similar character today.
    I really doubt it. I think people are too quick to believe a shitstorm will happen over something. You don't have to look very hard to see movies and shows throughout the years dealing with issues as sensitive as this, or even more so.

Someone somewhere would complain about it, and someone somewhere else would make a big deal out of the fact that someone complained. Some internet warriors would freak out like they always do and everyone would move on in a week.
    Last edited by Frug; January 2 2017 at 02:05:30 AM.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post

(not all that joking - most of the show's main characters were Caprican and the story called out their actions and motivation on more than one occasion)

..also I had pointed out that the insurgency on New Caprica is a better example of "good guy" terrorism from that show.
    I actually liked that episode when it was revealed Baltar was from Space-Yorkshire and spent much of his childhood hiding his bumpkin accent so he could fit in with the Capricans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post

I actually liked that episode when it was revealed Baltar was from Space-Yorkshire and spent much of his childhood hiding his bumpkin accent so he could fit in with the Capricans.
    same! i also quite liked the prequel stuff that went into adamas tauron upbringing.

Would depend on execution.

People love Freedom Fighters. People HATE Terrorists.

People love George Washington. People hate Fidel Castro.

People love the Rebellion. People hate the First Order.

People love the French Resistance. People hate ISIS.

All comes down to how the freedom fighter/terrorist is portrayed, if their "side" is portrayed as the "good guys" in the fight or not. If their cause is portrayed as justified and righteous. And if they are portrayed by and in a way that the majority of teh audience can sympathize and empathize with (i.e. in American TV this generally means attractive, white men and women fighting for "freedom" from oppression).

TLDR: Nuest Trek could do it easily without a word of objection if they did it as they've done it in the past. If, however, the cast a brown-skinned Islamic actor as the "good guy" fighting the evil oppression of the all-white Federation, then you're average chucklehead would protest.
    "Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Would depend on execution.

People love Freedom Fighters. People HATE Terrorists.

People love George Washington. People hate Fidel Castro.

People love the Rebellion. People hate the First Order.

People love the French Resistance. People hate ISIS.

All comes down to how the freedom fighter/terrorist is portrayed, if their "side" is portrayed as the "good guys" in the fight or not. If their cause is portrayed as justified and righteous. And if they are portrayed by and in a way that the majority of teh audience can sympathize and empathize with (i.e. in American TV this generally means attractive, white men and women fighting for "freedom" from oppression).

TLDR: Nuest Trek could do it easily without a word of objection if they did it as they've done it in the past. If, however, the cast a brown-skinned Islamic actor as the "good guy" fighting the evil oppression of the all-white Federation, then you're average chucklehead would protest.
    I think this is why this guy made such a good bad guy in DS9

Even Garek and Dumar touch on this when they end up getting Kira to help them train their Cardassian resistance.

There would be a phenomenal shitstorm if Star Trek tried to have a similar character today.
    I really doubt it. I think people are too quick to believe a shitstorm will happen over something. You don't have to look very hard to see movies and shows throughout the years dealing with issues as sensitive as this, or even more so.

Someone somewhere would complain about it, and someone somewhere else would make a big deal out of the fact that someone complained. Some internet warriors would freak out like they always do and everyone would move on in a week.
    Indeed. "shitstorm" is basically a given just about with everything these days, sometimes just for the sake of it. Decision makers shouldn't base their decisions on potential shitstorms happening. Not saying there aren't any justified ones. But the signal/noise ratio has become worse in the past couple of years. Not exclusively caused by, but at least heavily supported by the armies of Twitter/FB/<whatever> posting bots.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; January 4 2017 at 02:37:10 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Indeed. "shitstorm" is basically a given just about with everything these days, sometimes just for the sake of it.
    10 people out of millions complaining about a thing is not a shitstorm. The media talking about 10 people because they have nothing better to do is also not a shitstorm. It's bored people talking about a thing.

The only given is that people call it a shitstorm. I think it's because they think it's more than 10 people when it's not, or they're really bored and want it to be a shitstorm so they'll have something to talk about - something safe to point at and say "omg a shitstorm".

But then everyone starts saying it's some kind of shitstorm when it's more like a butterfly's fart. Then suddenly everything's a shitstorm and omg life is so hard because someone wrote an angry tweet.

Kirk kissing Uhura was probably more of a shitstorm than having a character announce they were a terrorist when their planet was basically occupied by nazis would be today. Obviously it depends on execution, but we're talking about Kira. She didn't exactly extol the virtues of murdering innocents. The show basically bludgeons you with how great the Federation's code of ethics is. Nobody would get mad, except those 10 random people on twitter and maybe some moron on Fox News.
    Last edited by Frug; January 6 2017 at 06:23:59 AM.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Indeed. "shitstorm" is basically a given just about with everything these days, sometimes just for the sake of it.
    10 people out of millions complaining about a thing is not a shitstorm. The media talking about 10 people because they have nothing better to do is also not a shitstorm. It's bored people talking about a thing.

The only given is that people call it a shitstorm. I think it's because they think it's more than 10 people when it's not, or they're really bored and want it to be a shitstorm so they'll have something to talk about - something safe to point at and say "omg a shitstorm".

But then everyone starts saying it's some kind of shitstorm when it's more like a butterfly's fart. Then suddenly everything's a shitstorm and omg life is so hard because someone wrote an angry tweet.

Kirk kissing Uhura was probably more of a shitstorm than having a character announce they were a terrorist when their planet was basically occupied by nazis would be today. Obviously it depends on execution, but we're talking about Kira. She didn't exactly extol the virtues of murdering innocents. The show basically bludgeons you with how great the Federation's code of ethics is. Nobody would get mad, except those 10 random people on twitter and maybe some moron on Fox News.
    Which is why i like DS9 as Quark warns Nog that humans are great when the power is on and the replicators work but he needs to remember where they came from and they are very dangerous.

Quark is a wise Ferengi.

Looks like Axanar might well be fucked. Full copyright trial is ordered after the Judge decides it's not "fair use".
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...pyright-trial/

Their argument is really, really weak tbh, so i suspect they are doomed.

So shit tbh, Axanar looked good

(DISCLAIMER NOT IN A REPLACE NUTREK KIND OF WAY DEAR E-LAWYERS READING)
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    Did it?

It looked to me like a big pile of steamy poo

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Did it?

For a fan made show/film or whatever it was, was an epic thing man. Watch Prelude to Axanar through the lens of a fan made production. Pretty damn well made.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Looks like Axanar might well be fucked. Full copyright trial is ordered after the Judge decides it's not "fair use".
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...pyright-trial/

Their argument is really, really weak tbh, so i suspect they are doomed.
    FUCK! copyright laws are a pile of horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    What the fucking fuck in the fuck fuck is going fucking on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Did it?

For a fan made show/film or whatever it was, was an epic thing man. Watch Prelude to Axanar through the lens of a fan made production. Pretty damn well made.
    If I wanted to see more WAAARRR pew pew pew I'd watch Star Wars. They do a better job of it.