hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 72 of 84 FirstFirst ... 22626970717273747582 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1667

Thread: Star trek!

"I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I'm enjoying Discovery so far.

I don't understand why the klingons needed to be completely remolded but eh, that's more mildly perplexing than annoying.
    There's a severe case of rose tinted goggles going on up this thread, though the Discovery ship itself does look like shit.
    It's not so much rose tinted goggles and more the fact that the standard of TV has gone up so much more since those days. There is just so much more TV to watch, more competition, and less room for the typical bad writing that trek used to have.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

I don't understand why the klingons needed to be completely remolded but eh, that's more mildly perplexing than annoying.
    There's a severe case of rose tinted goggles going on up this thread, though the Discovery ship itself does look like shit.
    It's not so much rose tinted goggles and more the fact that the standard of TV has gone up so much more since those days. There is just so much more TV to watch, more competition, and less room for the typical bad writing that trek used to have.
    Some of those higher standard shows get applauded for killing off their characters whenever they do stupid things though!

lmao imma just gas this thing and then let down the forcefield and oh god aosigm jksd fhjlgfhj l\;osefj h\\sd

It kinda lost me this episode.

It's only 6 months into a war and a federation ship has a room full of exotic weapons and a captain who "studies war". Starfleet officers act like idiots even by Trek standards, unlike anything before or after them. Two ships working on the same project have absolutely no idea what the other is doing, despite being led by the two people who invented the project because "plot device". Nobody seems to take issue with sticking needles into an animal to drive a ship and this is supposed to be the federation? Then there's the drive which can pop you into existence anywhere in the galaxy and this is somehow in the timeline between Enterprise and TOS?

Way too many canon changes and most of them are because they're lazy.

I don't know why they didn't just set it post Voyager.

Edit;

How did she get the telescope if there are still Klingons on the ship?

Why hasn't anyone blown up the disabled Klingon ships that have been sitting within Federation space for 6 MONTHS.
    Last edited by Phrixus Zephyr; October 10 2017 at 02:06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    It kinda lost me this episode.

It's only 6 months into a war and a federation ship has a room full of exotic weapons and a captain who "studies war". Starfleet officers act like idiots even by Trek standards, unlike anything before or after them. Two ships working on the same project have absolutely no idea what the other is doing, despite being led by the two people who invented the project because "plot device". Nobody seems to take issue with sticking needles into an animal to drive a ship and this is supposed to be the federation? Then there's the drive which can pop you into existence anywhere in the galaxy and this is somehow in the timeline between Enterprise and TOS?

Way too many canon changes and most of them are because they're lazy.

I don't know why they didn't just set it post Voyager.

Edit;

How did she get the telescope if there are still Klingons on the ship?

Why hasn't anyone blown up the disabled Klingon ships that have been sitting within Federation space for 6 MONTHS.
    I don't know if you noticed, but this Federation is totally fine with booby trapping coffins. An officer studying war (Aka military history) almost feels logical.

I don't buy for a second that this is the "prime universe".

Having two teams study the same thing without sharing information makes sort of sense when you deal with a military historian running the show. If you remember your popular history, there were several situations since WWI up to the Cold War, where the same problem was tackled by teams on two sides independently coming to similar results, with one being better/actually successful.

How did they get the telescope? Probably the same way they got the people out. There were no Klingons on the ship and the Klingon ship was disabled. The other Klingons fucked off.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    lmao imma just gas this thing and then let down the forcefield and oh god aosigm jksd fhjlgfhj l\;osefj h\\sd
    Annoyed me the hell too.

I mean, they can't even see it in that dark room ... a flashlight would've been helpful. Seeing how it dislikes light propably even more effective than one of those "most deadliest weapons in the universe (or was it galaxy?)".

I can oversee stupid writing on the big scale because often it just blends into the background and "only" makes no sense anymore when you analyze the big picture. But such "in you face" stupidity kinda riles me up. Like most of the horrer-movies (strange flesh-eating noise from the cave? Lets check it out! Alone! With no light! In my underwear!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

Nah trek fans have some ridiculously powerful rose tinted glasses, always have. Also. Some ridiculously specific expectations they don't even know they have for the most part.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar

Oh you

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/qsxgTzx.jpg

I don't think we're quite there yet, CE. Though I'd certainly put Mercer in there before Burnham.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Finding STD pretty hard going to be honest mates.

I'm not bothered about it being 'Star Trek in name only'. The writing is pretty poor, characters aren't likable, just lots of stupid things that trigger my autism (navigating the universe by getting a giant space bear high and tasing it's nipples?)...

Will probably give it one or two more episodes then drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    ........(navigating the universe by getting a giant space bear high and tasing it's nipples?)...

Just caught up with STD, and my completely bullshit head-canon is that the writers are trying to bridge Star Trek and W40K. Makes mores sense than having instant ship travel ten years before TOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Finding STD pretty hard going to be honest mates.

I'm not bothered about it being 'Star Trek in name only'. The writing is pretty poor, characters aren't likable, just lots of stupid things that trigger my autism (navigating the universe by getting a giant space bear high and tasing it's nipples?)...

Will probably give it one or two more episodes then drop it.
    stop slutshaming the SPAEC tardigrade lark
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelfreak View Post
    Just caught up with STD, and my completely bullshit head-canon is that the writers are trying to bridge Star Trek and W40K. Makes mores sense than having instant ship travel ten years before TOS.
    Thats the best explanation for this shitshow that is STD yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendelfreak View Post
    Thats the best explanation for this shitshow that is STD yet.
    No, it's stupid since, among other problems, 40k has no instant ship travel.
    The most simple explanation is that the Tardigrade drive is ultimately somehow flawed, just like the Transwarp drive from Startrek III.
    Or it might even be a variant of the Transwarp drive, no idea. Thing is, compared to much of TNG or Voyager, the writing is decent even if it still uses far too many Startrek tropes (pointblank battles, expendable and borderline mentaly challenged security officers, the Retardigrade as poor man's Horta...).

So many fans are so quick to defend bad writing (because old trek).

The real problem is that the world is so uneven. Some of it is clever, and realistic and gritty, some of it is tropy (because old trek) bullshit - it selectively (and often wrongly) picks bits of old trek (eg sound fx's, bad tropes) and discards the heart (honourable aliens, "the right stuff" professional crew members) - what's left is something that's often enjoyable, until until it jumps the shark and then you wonder wtf did you just why.

"The writing is no worse than the worst of Trek" isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

(navigating the universe by getting a giant space bear high and tasing it's nipples?)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk