hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 21616869707172737481 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1667

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    I don't watch shows like that, I watch shows to turn off my brain
    Yes because Star Trek has a long history of being a television program that never asks the audience to think about it. Are you from the same planet as the rest of us? Not that there's anything wrong with watching something so you can relax your brain a little but the very fact that STD is a show that fits this format of entertainment should illustrate the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    What is wrong with Janeway?

(Serious question)
    Specifically or in general?

In general, she lacked consistent characterization and motivations because the writers could never decide on who she was supposed to be.

Specifically, because of the lack of consistency its easier to ask what's right (and the answer is Kate Mulgrew).

Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    BTW I like Discovery and the lot of you need to take off your rose tinted glasses.

Tapapapatalk
    I endorse this statement :P
    Same here.

It is quite ironical that on the one hand, we blame studios for cancelling shows too early, but on the other hand deem a new show as "not watchable" just about after it's premier epsiode.

Folks, give it a whole season. If you still don't like it: fine. But how the hell is any studio supposed to build up an arc-spawning series, if the crowd kills it off after the first episodes.

As mentioned many times: the first season of TNG is perhaps the worst of any ST we've got to witness*). But look what we've got. The most thoughful of all ST shows so far.

*) My personal opinion: each of ST:DS9, ST:VOY and Enterprise's 1st season are better then ST:TNG
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; October 4 2017 at 03:12:49 PM. Reason: Disable smilies

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Yes because Star Trek has a long history of being a television program that never asks the audience to think about it. Are you from the same planet as the rest of us? Not that there's anything wrong with watching something so you can relax your brain a little but the very fact that STD is a show that fits this format of entertainment should illustrate the problem.
    Your average TNG/ Voy or DS9 episode was hardly brainfodder. We usualy remember the good ones (Measure of a man, City at the Edge of Forever and whatever other favourite episodes people tend to have ) but forget that much of Trek was composed of just yet another holodec malfunktion/ anomaly/ rubbersuit alien of the weak episode. These were more often than not entertaining but hardly intelectualy challenging.
    So far i like Discovery. Despite some legitimate issues i like the worldbuilding ( yes, the early 23rd century Federation is certainly not the stage for Picard's sanctimonious speeches) and the characters are at least interesting (yay, some possible conflict!). I also consider the Starfleet Inteligence/ Section 31 vibe to be rather unnusual and appreciate it.
    The Klingon war as externalised agression of a deeply fractured society is also rather cool.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    I kinda like it so far. Frug isn't wrong about anything he says, and I wish they'd though a little bit harder about some of the stuff they put in, but the characters and the setting are interesting. Let's see what they do with the rest of the season before writing it off.

Also, I'm no trekkie, and I haven't been able to watch any Star Trek series for very long, they were all deeply flawed in their own ways IMHO. This one seems par for the course to me so far, not better or worse than the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    BTW I like Discovery and the lot of you need to take off your rose tinted glasses.
    No.

You're clearly remembering ST at its best, with episodes focused around Picard and Data, while forgetting all of the camp, bad acting, and Wesley Crusher episodes.

News flash: most of the time ST was just like any other dumb TV show
    Last edited by mewninn; October 4 2017 at 08:36:31 PM.

You're clearly remembering ST at its best, with episodes focused around Picard and Data, while forgetting all of the camp, bad acting, and Wesley Crusher episodes.

News flash: most of the time ST was just like any other dumb TV show
    Actually I was thinking of the Original Series.

Go back and look at some of TOS, and consider it in the context of what else was on TV in the mid to late 60s. Every episode is a little morality play, with something to say about the human condition or a thinly-veiled allegory for the social issues of the day. It's not Shakespeare, but it's considerably more substantial than the other programs it shared the airwaves with.

What's telling is that the really good TOS episodes have stood the test of time; they're a little campy by today's standards but they're still good television. Consider how much television has improved and matured as a medium over the last seventy years, then ask yourself what audiences thought of those episodes when they first aired? That's Trek's legacy, not Voyager.
    Last edited by Steph; October 5 2017 at 04:08:54 AM.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    production values are too high dialog isnt hammy enough and the aliens arnt just people with various forhead ridges. 0/10 would not trek with

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    for context, first post in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Post star trek nerd nonsense here, so i can fucking avoid it!
    saw this was on netflix, gave it a shot and enjoyed all 3 episodes, Jason Isaac is always a win.

3rd eps event horizon vibes pleased me

[sexist]an actual fit women in scifi tv show thats not firefly [/sexist]
    Last edited by cullnean; October 7 2017 at 01:44:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

saw this was on netflix, gave it a shot and enjoyed all 3 episodes, Jason Isaac is always a win.

What do you mean m8?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post

What do you mean m8?
    why u do dis?

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    was that tori from bsg in ep3?

really enjoying this btw, brings a bit of grit into the franchise

Mate, she knocks them all out of the park

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk

Mate, she knocks them all out of the park

m8

"I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Nope

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar

what can i say the spots do it for me XD.

This show.

The absolute state of it.

Manages to be passable for half an episode then something or someone does something super dumb. So many in explicable dumb things and contrivances that I just can't excuse given the quality of TV out there in 2017. Star Trek custom or not.

I'm enjoying Discovery so far.

I don't understand why the klingons needed to be completely remolded but eh, that's more mildly perplexing than annoying.
    There's a severe case of rose tinted goggles going on up this thread, though the Discovery ship itself does look like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post

what can i say the spots do it for me XD.
    This is the correct answer.