hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 150 of 153 FirstFirst ... 50100140147148149150151152153 LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3058

Thread: Star trek!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    - The Borg cube. Could have been used for so many things in the season's final, but wasn't used at all other than detecting the Romulan fleet.
    That one in particular is rather irksome. They basically invoked Chekhov's gun (Chekhov's borg cube?) and then didn't deliver.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

What is the source?

I liked it. Seems like most people did too. Not surprised the enlightened galaxy brains of FHC didn't.

Not sure why they felt the need to have 7of9 and Raffi holding hands at the end though.

Also, what ended up happening to Narek? He's just a prisoner for life on synthworld?

Either way, imagine thinking you're a better producer than a knighted member of the Royal Shakespeare Company
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; April 5 2020 at 05:47:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

Either way, imagine thinking you're a better producer than a knighted member of the Royal Shakespeare Company
    Yes

Does the trollface emoji mean you're kidding, and that you understand that someone doesn't have to be a TV producer to know when a TV show is shit? I hope so but you never can tell these days.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

I liked it. Seems like most people did too. Not surprised the enlightened galaxy brains of FHC didn't.
    Despite all my criticism - I also enjoyed it. And if only for the nostalgia.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the poor story-writing can be blamed on what was going on behind the scenes for both franchises, Discovery and Picard.

Somewhere it got mentioned that there were plans that both series would meet/merge in Picard S3 & Discovery S5. But due to Netflix wanting their contract with CBS changed after the not-so-good performance of the first two Discovery seasons, Disco S5 and Picard S3 have been cancelled and the plot of both series leading up to that had to be rewritten (and partly reshot).

Which would explain quite some of the strange plot/never picked up side stories of Picard S1. Once intended to be developed over 3 season, they are now no longer deemed stories to be concluded by the end of franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Does the trollface emoji mean you're kidding, and that you understand that someone doesn't have to be a TV producer to know when a TV show is shit? I hope so but you never can tell these days.
    A bit of both. It was a decent (not amazing, just decent) show, and Im not gonna be surprised to see the usual nerd film critic crowd on youtube regurgitating their 2 hour long 'reviews' shitting all over the show.

However, there were some really obvious plot holes by the end (NAREK?? What about the Ex-Borg living on synthworld now??) that are a bit embarrassing. Imagine if they forgot about Hamlets uncle at the end of the play.

Also, do you understand that a producer credit is just an accounting gimmick and doesn't actually mean creative input?

As for Narek:
    Chabon has been frequently using Instagram Stories to answer Star Trek fans' questions about Picard each week - including the obvious one about why Narek never got any resolution to his storyline in season 1, despite being a pivotal part of the finale. As Chabon hints (not so subtly), it was the finale editors who dropped the ball with Narek:

"Yeah. Narek. We know, we know. A casualty of the editorial process, alas. The intention was for him to be taken into Federation custody."
    Source: https://comicbook.com/startrek/2020/...ale-explained/

I seem to remember talks about there being an actual scene showing this, which then got cut out.

As for a brighter outlook on the franchise, it would be nice if this comes to life:

Just binged Picard.

Not bad.

Not quite sure what to make of it yet. But not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Just binged Picard.

Not bad.

What did you like about it?

Just binged Picard.

Not bad.

I think I enjoyed the world-building bits more than the story itself. Things like the holographic crew, romulan space witches/nuns, frontier worlds in the former neutral zone, depiction of “ordinary” life on earth, etc.

Just binged Picard.

Not bad.

I think I enjoyed the world-building bits more than the story itself. Things like the holographic crew, romulan space witches/nuns, frontier worlds in the former neutral zone, depiction of “ordinary” life on earth, etc.
    Those are fair things to latch on to, but they're like 2% of what the show actually spent it's time on. I think it would have been way more interesting if it had actually tried to answer the questions those little world-building tidbits raised, rather than use them as background decorations for a Mass Effect plot retread with boring characters and stupid dialogue and nonsense storytelling.

Take the very start of the show. The food replicators on Utopia Planitia are shown to produce bad food that the workers complain about. But this is Star Trek, where replicators have been able to produce anything people want to eat for literally centuries. So why is the food bad at Utopia Planitia? It's so that the workers can complain about it, because that's what they wanted to have happen in that scene. Now, maybe you can write an entire headcanon for why things are so different on Mars, why a post-scarcity interplanetary society with access to functionally unlimited amounts of energy and material goods still has shortages of anything, why the shipbuilders for the Federation would be treated as second-class citizens, all of these questions could have answers. But the show isn't interested in answering them, which means the writers weren't interested in answering them, if they even realized all this was nonsense in the first place.

And this continues throughout the entire season. That's why despite the little tidbits here and there I'm just not willing to give them credit for producing anything but a bad show.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I also enjoyed it......if only for the nostalgia.
    This.

Just binged Picard.

Not bad.

Those are fair things to latch on to, but they're like 2% of what the show actually spent it's time on. I think it would have been way more interesting if it had actually tried to answer the questions those little world-building tidbits raised, rather than use them as background decorations for a Mass Effect plot retread with boring characters and stupid dialogue and nonsense storytelling.

Take the very start of the show. The food replicators on Utopia Planitia are shown to produce bad food that the workers complain about. But this is Star Trek, where replicators have been able to produce anything people want to eat for literally centuries. So why is the food bad at Utopia Planitia? It's so that the workers can complain about it, because that's what they wanted to have happen in that scene. Now, maybe you can write an entire headcanon for why things are so different on Mars, why a post-scarcity interplanetary society with access to functionally unlimited amounts of energy and material goods still has shortages of anything, why the shipbuilders for the Federation would be treated as second-class citizens, all of these questions could have answers. But the show isn't interested in answering them, which means the writers weren't interested in answering them, if they even realized all this was nonsense in the first place.

And this continues throughout the entire season. That's why despite the little tidbits here and there I'm just not willing to give them credit for producing anything but a bad show.
    Star Trek writers have been forgetting about the implications of a post-scarcity society since at least DS9. I do agree that Discovery and Picard are somewhat frustrating on this point, especially with regards to Mars. I threw my hands up at a few points.

On the whole I didn't think it was bad though. Not great, not terrible.

All that said... has there ever been a good first season of a Star Trek show?

Just binged Picard.

Not bad.

Star Trek writers have been forgetting about the implications of a post-scarcity society since at least DS9. I do agree that Discovery and Picard are somewhat frustrating on this point, especially with regards to Mars. I threw my hands up at a few points.

DS9 I felt did a good job actually dealing with that exact "but if replicators, why poverty" question in re: Bajor and Cardassia, by having both societies either formerly or currently occupied by a hostile military power bent on controlling and exploiting them, and then exploring the social factors that were hindering their recovery. Replicators are representative of immense power both politically and technologically, they have limitations, and they're only part of a larger social picture. I wish we knew what that picture looked like in Picard :/

I think you could say that the only heavy-airquotes "good" first season of Trek was the very first season of Trek, otherwise no they all had rough starts. But unlike the old days, I have no faith that CBS will stick with it long enough to develop it into something good, or even put the people in charge that could accomplish that, given their seeming unshakable attachment to Kurtzman et. all.

Just binged Picard.

Not bad.

DS9 I felt did a good job actually dealing with that exact "but if replicators, why poverty" question in re: Bajor and Cardassia, by having both societies either formerly or currently occupied by a hostile military power bent on controlling and exploiting them, and then exploring the social factors that were hindering their recovery. Replicators are representative of immense power both politically and technologically, they have limitations, and they're only part of a larger social picture. I wish we knew what that picture looked like in Picard :/

I think you could say that the only heavy-airquotes "good" first season of Trek was the very first season of Trek, otherwise no they all had rough starts. But unlike the old days, I have no faith that CBS will stick with it long enough to develop it into something good, or even put the people in charge that could accomplish that, given their seeming unshakable attachment to Kurtzman et. all.
    They won't stick with it because as soon as they make anything the fucking nerds go haywire and they try to do something else.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it