hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 167 of 171 FirstFirst ... 67117157164165166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 3418

Thread: Star trek!

Ah, I see. I guess we have to wait and find out.

I think they would be better of with making it a permanent stay in the future (and therefore a more than 1 season arc). That way they would avoid conflicting with existing timelines like ST:O. Especially given that we will get a Pikes spinoff, which supposedly is set in the ST:O era.

loll ok so best part of S3 so far has been an episode regarding the JemHadar in which the sideplot is a 16 year old kid fucking a 20 year old Hooters waitress and no one really thinking it's odd. The 90's truly were the pinnacle of culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    One of the things I miss about the older, longer seasons of TV shows is the ability for the writers to explore the characters without also having to make it serve the wider plot, or just do a little bit of world building.
    Aye. Even DS9 took the time to give us One Little Ship in the middle of the Dominion war.
    I for one don't miss the boxing episodes.

Festival episode was atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    loll ok so best part of S3 so far has been an episode regarding the JemHadar in which the sideplot is a 16 year old kid fucking a 20 year old Hooters waitress and no one really thinking it's odd. The 90's truly were the pinnacle of culture.

lul I just got to the S2 episode where Jake is all "okay who told you my big secret, that i fell in love with a hooker?" and Sisko goes "WHAT, I was talking about something completely different".

Truly great comedy. My fav S2 episode so far was the O'Brien doppelganger one though. Great acting, great twist.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    One of the things I miss about the older, longer seasons of TV shows is the ability for the writers to explore the characters without also having to make it serve the wider plot, or just do a little bit of world building.
    Aye. Even DS9 took the time to give us One Little Ship in the middle of the Dominion war.
    I for one don't miss the boxing episodes.
    Even DS9 had a 'boxing episode'... Not quite sure where the Trope started...

Lol, just thinking about the BSG boxing filler episode. So bad.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I watched the season 3 premiere yesterday.
    Normally I'm fine with whatever, I don't care about pure Trek vs nutrek.

But this was the worst garbage I have ever seen!
    There is no way to recover from this fucked up story/time line.
    I...actually liked it. It felt pretty solid, I was very surprised to think this but here we are.

You have a point on how they are going to fix this, fully confident that by trying it will take a step dive downwards.
    (I was actually thinking, "if they kept this, that the story is not about reuniting with the old, the old is truly gone/lost and no going back. And this is the beginning of rebuilding the new, this would have massive potential!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

So far it points towards rebuilding the old and not going back.

Story wise: They deliberately took the Discovery forward to remove something* aboard the ship from their time to prevent an AI from destroying all life. They said that it would be a one way trip.

*I wanted to say the spore drive itself, but that was first season. This was iirc data a probe had collected over millenia.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Just got to DS9 opening of season 4. I can't believe they made an opening episode of a season a 2 hour long battle episode. This show has been a great ride so far. A bit silly that in the middle of a battle they'd all agree to cease fire but just a fun experience that makes you not give a shit in the moment.

Ds9 was my favourite, so much character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    So far it points towards rebuilding the old and not going back.

Story wise: They deliberately took the Discovery forward to remove something* aboard the ship from their time to prevent an AI from destroying all life. They said that it would be a one way trip.

*I wanted to say the spore drive itself, but that was first season. This was iirc data a probe had collected over millenia.

Tapapapatalk
    Disco had to travel to the future to make sure the evil AI that was controlling Leland couldn't get their sphere probe data. But then when they killed Leland during that big stupid space fight they still had to go to the future anyway because that's what the writers wanted to have happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

I'm amazed, if you have space flight technology and you want to get rid of something.
    Why not dump it into a Sun, Gas Giant or Black Hole?

Why is traveling through time the easiest and most logical reason?
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Because of the hydrochromatical exostabilisers of course

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Because of the hydrochromatical exostabilisers of course
    Obviously!

But fear not,
      Spoiler:
    The Disco discoes itself into existence, all main crew wearing full plot-shields and minor injuries. The cringe dialog and characters is back on the menu boys!
    Still think our super dry science girl Jett Reno is great, its over-the-top but the scenes where she drives Paul up the wall (in this case literally) is quite fun.
    Some really dumb stuff in the first half, it sort of picks up as it the ep goes on but I need to re-watch like half as work interrupted me. Stupid work.
    Did catch the obvious (on-screen) reunion but not sure how we got there, or if was introduced in a good way, again need to re-watch the last 20min or so.
    Oh, there is the most vanilla villain in there too, with the most vanilla villain plot BUT that is also where things get kind good so...
    Last edited by Lowa [NSN]; October 23 2020 at 12:06:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
      Spoiler:
    Did catch the obvious (on-screen) reunion but not sure how we got there, or if was introduced in a good way, again need to re-watch the last 20min or so.
    It wasn't, everything this show does is either 200% predictable and telegraphed or so stupid that no one in their right mind would have expected a professional to write it.

My Big New List of Stupid Fucking Things This Show Has Done So Far:

Spoiler:
    1. Anyone ever tried to collide objects at orbital velocities in KSP? It's fucking hard because space is FUCKING HUGE AND EMPTY but Burned Ham pops through a wormhole and hits a ship and A) doesn't die immediately because ~reasons~ and B) this impact causes both her and the ship to crash within walking distance of each other which, has anyone ever tried to land a ship in KSP at a specific location? Fuck. These. Writers.

2. Hey, I know, let's have a quasi-religious black dude with a mysterious background named Book join the cast, this is an original name for an original character I did not steal from another scifi series called Firefly.

3. On that subject, is this dude really just whatever the plot needs him to be in the moment?

4. Ok so there are multiple ways to power warp drives, dilithium isn't like some magic fuel that warp is impossible without. Although one of the primary other examples are Romulan ships that use artificial black holes, and I guess this is the Romulan Star Empire that doesn't have any ships to evacuate it's home planet with, except when they needed to have hundreds of ships show up for a Big Stupid Space Battle fuck these writers so hard.

5. Why is everyone on Disco acting shocked by seeing "new" technology that's really just an outgrowth of tech they've grown up with? "Wow I would never have guessed that transporters would be shrunk down to be personal after 1,000 years of further development." There's nothing futuristic about this future at all, it's just different shaped ships and lasers. What a fucking wasted opportunity.

6. The fucking Stormtrooper Syndrome on those assholes holy fucking shit. Like, I get that you can't really kill off your lead characters in the first episode of the season, but that whole sequence was just comically dumb.

7. "Close your eyes." Proceeds to open eyes and watch entire scene with no consequences. Cool story.

8. Again, Tilly is watching someone basically do what a replicator does, just with a sonic screwdriver, and she's somehow amazed by this. Why. Why?

9. So let's spend an entire whole episode establishing how upstandingly moral and righteous and Starfleet Saru is, then try to hang all the dramatic tension in the final scene on whether or not he'll shoot a random ship that came to save them like is anyone in charge of this story? At all?

In other words,

hold on to your butts.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    4. Ok so there are multiple ways to power warp drives, dilithium isn't like some magic fuel that warp is impossible without. Although one of the primary other examples are Romulan ships that use artificial black holes, and I guess this is the Romulan Star Empire that doesn't have any ships to evacuate it's home planet with, except when they needed to have hundreds of ships show up for a Big Stupid Space Battle fuck these writers so hard.

Gonna "BUT ACKSHUALLY" you here and say

Spoiler:

Federation warp drives are powered by shooting streams of deuterium and antideuterium at each other, the dilithium is just used as a medium to regulate the reaction in because due to hand-waving sci-fi logic it can't physically interact with antimatter if it's energized in a specific way.

Then again this is TNG-era lore so I wouldn't be surprised if they've retconned it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
      Spoiler:

Gonna "BUT ACKSHUALLY" you here and say

Spoiler:

Federation warp drives are powered by shooting streams of deuterium and antideuterium at each other, the dilithium is just used as a medium to regulate the reaction in because due to hand-waving sci-fi logic it can't physically interact with antimatter if it's energized in a specific way.

Then again this is TNG-era lore so I wouldn't be surprised if they've retconned it somehow.
    That doesn't really invalidate my point? Disco is going out of it's way to say that you can't have warp drives without dilithium, which isn't true, except these writers think it is.

That doesn't really invalidate my point?
    Wasn't trying to. The Federation uses the most energy-dense fuel to power their ships that our current understanding of physics allows for, it just uses a form of unobtainium to make it practical. The Romulan singularity reactor is more like carrying around the universe's most dangerous vape battery, and most of the other major powers use generic made up sci-fi power sources.

I just wanted to point out that dilithium isn't the fuel itself, it's part of the warp core mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    I thought Picard was "Federation gone bad".
    I thought DS9 was "Federation gone bad".