hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 164 of 171 FirstFirst ... 64114154161162163164165166167 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 3418

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    My favorite is still the one that made Picard a kid again, mostly because apparently Starfleet is just soooo good inside that no one went "hey doesn't this mean we can just reset our old aging bodies back to young ones forever?"

Also, in the latest episode of The Delta Flyers, Robbie McNeal calls Bob Picardo to settle a bet, who answers the phone while on a bike ride. You won't believe what happens next!
      Spoiler:
    He crashes while talking to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    My favorite is still the one that made Picard a kid again, mostly because apparently Starfleet is just soooo good inside that no one went "hey doesn't this mean we can just reset our old aging bodies back to young ones forever?"
    Caught "The Chase" on TV yesterday.

PICARD Look, if we try to deceive one other, then we shall get nowhere. I think we all know about Professor Galen's research, and about the computer programme composed of DNA fragments. I'll take your silence as confirmation. Now, it stands to reason that none of us has the DNA fragments necessary to complete the programme. You were the first to arrive in this system. Do you have an organic sample from the planet below?
    OCETT Yes. And I will fire on anyone who attempts to obtain another one.
    NU'DAQ As if we fear Cardassian threats.
    PICARD I believe that one of you has a fragment from Indri Eight.
    NU'DAQ Yes. And there will be no other samples from Indri Eight.
    OCETT What is that supposed to mean?
    PICARD He destroyed the biosphere of the planet after he had taken the sample.
    OCETT Typical Klingon thinking. Take what you want and destroy the rest.
    A low-level Klingon warlord went 40k exterminatus on a harmless unpopulated planet. Diplomat science man Picard doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Great to see how you are all super excited about the new season of Discovery! Oh yeah it's back babeyyyyy

For us Euro Netflixers, it's back on Fridays.

But over at Ars, the review has good things to say about it. Seems it's heading in the direction we all wanted (more of):

The most frequent complaint leveled against Star Trek: Discovery during its first two seasons was: "This doesn't feel like the Star Trek I remember." The critics did indeed have a point—from the outset, Discovery tried to lean into the modern streaming prestige-drama mold, while also retaining its Starfleet soul. Those two goals don't necessarily align, and as a result Discovery sometimes seemed like a show that simply couldn't make up its mind.

In its third season, however, Discovery has finally picked a side. The show is now all-in on venerating the optimistic, wide-eyed Federation fans want to remember from the '80s and '90s, and it's bringing back the old planet-of-the-week format to do so. Now, the show's inner conflict has taken a whole new direction: for a story all about leaping a millennium into the future to explore the strangest possible new world, Discovery for the most part plays it startlingly safe.

[...]

Burnham and Book [a new character Burnham meets right away, Hel] have more chemistry in their first 30 seconds on screen together than Michael and Ash Tyler had through two solid seasons of their alleged romance.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...-third-season/

hmmm, maybe I'll entertain the idea of watching it then
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Huh. Might watch it afterall.

That reads like something Mike would say to trick Rich into another episode.

Nope, I'm not falling for it. Will still watch tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

New season of STD started, tried watching the first episode and went "nope" really fast, can't remember how many episodes of the 2nd season I managed to watch before going nope

I went back as well, like a battered housewife.

So. Much. Stormtrooper syndrome. Its a small thing, but it tells you everything you need to know: season will be full of deus ex coincidences and emotioally manipulative but ultimately meaningless fluff.

I still might watch it, but no high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Nope, I'm not falling for it. Will still watch tho.
    I've found that venting my hatred for most of NuTrek has been quite therapeutic in these times, I'm not exactly happy that there will be more, but at least I know it will be productive for me emotionally.

I've watched the first episode. I thought it was fine, but keep in mind that I didn't hate the previous seasons. The setup for season 3 means there should be more exploring, but this is still Star Trek EVERYTHING IS PERMANENTLY TURNED UP TO ELEVEN edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    I went back as well, like a battered housewife.

So. Much. Stormtrooper syndrome. Its a small thing, but it tells you everything you need to know: season will be full of deus ex coincidences and emotioally manipulative but ultimately meaningless fluff.

I still might watch it, but no high hopes.
    The 'stormtrooper syndrome' gripped me a bit... Especially with at least one 'main character' picking up a weapon they'd never used before...

I've enjoyed The Orville and Lower Decks more than STD (besides captain Mitt Romney) and Picard...

Am I getting old or are the latter just shit?

Is Lower Decks available legally somewhere in Europe? Or is it only on CBS All Access and thus only available in the US?
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    I've enjoyed The Orville and Lower Decks more than STD (besides captain Mitt Romney) and Picard...

Am I getting old or are the latter just shit?
    no the latter are shit (much like your posting heyoooo)

Decided to avoid new trek and just finally watch DS9. Some real goofy shit in the first season, but feels like TNG so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Decided to avoid new trek and just finally watch DS9. Some real goofy shit in the first season, but feels like TNG so far.
    They do have those early Trek season episodes where you're just like "wtf was leaking into the writer's room on that day" but I think it's the strongest series narratively, they develop the characters and the world to a greater degree than any other and the high points are some of the best television of the era.

Enjoy the ride mate, it's not every day someone gets to experience DS9 for the first time, I'm frankly a bit jealous.

Also yeah boy that Disco season 3 premier was full of dumb. It's an intriguing premise, but Burnett's point that it feels like the writers' only experience with scifi is watching a handful of movies then copying the parts they liked is dead on.

I think they probably wanted or were tasked to go for a "cinematic experience" instead of being unable to do anything "sci fi". Should be easy to check, I did a very superficial search and there was a mix of mainstream tv writers and writers with explicit Star Trek experience (as in novel authors and staff with previous star trek tv credits) listed in what I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Stick with DS9 some of the later episodes are the best tv had to offer that era, starting with S01E19 Duet.