hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 140 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4090130137138139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 2977

Thread: Star trek!

Aye it's a big part of it. Episodic writing limits the real clangers to individual episodes, while you can always return to themes from earlier episodes if they went well - although of course you can't really achieve the same heights.
    A lot safer, but has it's own downsides.

Imagine if TNG's going-too-fast-made-us-become-space-lizards-and-have-sex-in-the-cupboard episodes had to be incorporated into a coherent season long arc, rather than just never mentioned again...

I enjoyed episode 3.
      Spoiler:
    That EMH can get in the bin though.

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Season 1 of Discovery is YA Star Trek, not bad if you can go for that
    Season 2 of Discovery is EVERYTHING SET TO 11 ALL THE TIME AND ALSO ALL ABOUT A MAGIC FAMILY Star Trek, mostly bad
    It's really quite amazing how Discovery was able to be so bad in two distinct ways. Season 2 is a totally different show at times, and yet it frequently finds new ways to stab itself in the foot. Which, credit to the crew for trying. But I'm a bit flummoxed at how they managed to come up with something just as flawed as the first season. Star Trek is known for its rocky starts, but normally the second season is able to build off of what worked in the first season and improve itself.

It makes me wonder if serialization is a big part of the problem. With a more episodic structure you're allowed to try a bunch of different ideas and see what works. With serialization, you're kind of locked into your trajectory from the start.

Meanwhile, the latest episode of Picard is giving me BSG vibes. I won't make any final judgements 3 episodes into a new show. But if we're doing that metaphysical/religious baloney again, it's not going to end well.

And yet, one of the things that put me off Discovery was that each season consisted of a couple 4-episode arcs, which ended up feeling rushed, and then a season finale two-parter that tried to tie everything together.

They tried to have their cake and eat it, which felt worse than comitting to either format.

Haven't seen ep 3 but ep 2 was really dumb in so many ways. The Zhat Vash is so moronic. "Here's an even more super secret organization behind the super secret organization!!" And I couldn't believe the line "whose sole purpose is to keep a secret so profound and terrible that just learning it can break a person's mind". What the fuck, is this writer from a community college?

Can't we just have a normal Star Trek episode?

Honestly, i liked 1-3 a lot more than i tought i would.

And how is a secret police having a secret IA departement stupid? Romulans have always been mustache-twirling "just as planned" goofs. In the same vein, the line is obviously neither literal nor even taken seriously by the characters. "They guard a terrible, mind-destroying secret!" / "Oh really, what is it?" / "They Call Them Fingers, But I Never See Them Fing" / everyones heads explode, season over.

e: if you want to talk about stupid, how about those sunglasses? Or the weird incest vibe.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; February 7 2020 at 03:58:18 PM.

He said the thing he used to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    He said the thing he used to say!
    yeeeeeeeeah

the sunglasses was dumber. And funnier.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

And black curly chick constantly calling him JayyeeeeL.
    So triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    And black curly chick constantly calling him JayyeeeeL.
    So triggered.
    two things bugged me about her scenes: one, picard didn't really say very much and didn't seem interested in like, dealing with how she felt about him, and two, they didn't really introduce the character they just presented her as someone we're supposed to care about, and i know they did that because she was officially introduced in a fucking comic book that no one read.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    officially introduced in a fucking comic book that no one read.
    Isn't modern Star Wars guilty of this sort of thing? Having only seen the films I still have no idea what the point of Phasma is.

Phasma was introduced in TFA, as far as I'm aware she didn't feature in any of the other media first.

The point of her was to sell toys, obviously.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    officially introduced in a fucking comic book that no one read.
    Isn't modern Star Wars guilty of this sort of thing? Having only seen the films I still have no idea what the point of Phasma is.
    That is easy. To sell action figures.

Edit: Fuck, beaten.
    Last edited by Dorvil Barranis; February 9 2020 at 01:59:26 AM.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

so is Q gonna be in Picard or what

God I hope so

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    so is Q gonna be in Picard or what
    Q is immortal, so they would have to make de Lancie look 30 years younger.

Spoiler:
    Or you could just watch Mulp Phim, since he basically played Q there.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Q would just make himself look like an old man to mock Picard. it would work

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

they didn't really introduce the character they just presented her as someone we're supposed to care about, and i know they did that because she was officially introduced in a fucking comic book that no one read.
    She got introduced in ep. 3, so there's that (didn't read the comic either). I find that this sometimes works better than an introduction beforehand.

There were again those weird (more like "WTF?!?) moments in episode 3. The most annoying:

Spoiler:
    that attack of the Romulan Space Ninjas at Picards's chateau. That alone was weird. But the resolution of the scene - the scientist saving Picard? How they portraited her up until then, this character never used a weapon before in her life. And is then able to handle an alien blaster perfectly fine? Not sure why they fuck up feel the need to write it that way. It would have been perfectly fine with Picard and the two Romulans handling the situation and then having her show up a bit later, for the reasons she stated.

On the plus side: I like what they do with the Borg cube and drones and the Romulans there.
      Spoiler:
    Also that Picard interrogation/ex-Borg drone Romulan myth teller (paraphrased) "She's Ozmandias, destroyer of worlds" iterating-scene was a nice idea.

I also wonder how many more episodes it takes until Picard has assembled his crew? And how many episodes then remain for the "real plot"? Judging by the trailers, he still needs to pick off a few characters, like that sword-wielding Romulan

Spoiler:
    Picard's speech to the pilot was a typical Picard speech. But with what went down beforehand at the trailer, it felt hollow. It wasn't a rousing speech but rather felt manipulative.

At least that's the feeling I had about it. And that's not bad, in fact I loved it, as it adds something instead of just Picard being stubborn, honorable and idealistic.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    There were again those weird (more like "WTF?!?) moments in episode 3. The most annoying:

Spoiler:
    that attack of the Romulan Space Ninjas at Picards's chateau. That alone was weird. But the resolution of the scene - the scientist saving Picard? How they portraited her up until then, this character never used a weapon before in her life. And is then able to handle an alien blaster perfectly fine? Not sure why they fuck up feel the need to write it that way. It would have been perfectly fine with Picard and the two Romulans handling the situation and then having her show up a bit later, for the reasons she stated.
    The whole time I was thinking
      Spoiler:
    wait, what happened the last time one of these SectionNot31 operatives was nearly captured? oh yeah you saw them spit body melting acid out of their face, why are you letting anyone stand in front of this one? why is this one going to answer questions? how many disruptors do they have hidden under furniture in that chateau?

I dunno, it just gets tiring after a while. I'm tired.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

I dunno, it just gets tiring after a while. I'm tired.
    Maybe it's just not for you then?

We've been quite enjoying it so far. If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't be watching it.

Like Discovery.

I think it’s quite good, as someone alluded to above, Stewart is adding depth to Picard which is nice to see.

Ruri likes TLJ so there you go...